Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am going nuts, 1.3 WHAT A PAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
After burning a new iso and reinstalling with fingers crossed, no luck, just the same as before. So I proceeded to go to back to an earlier version... no luck. I really didn't want to, but decided to reformat the HD and reinstall 1.0. Now with the new ID in hand and getting back to Korg for a new Authorization code. What a bummer... I think I will return to 123 land and wait awhile. I know there are users that didn't have a problem, but I choose to be in the waiting room for awhile and not have to go through that again.

Hi Lou,

I'm very sorry that you're having difficulties.

We've done plenty of testing with 1.3, both internally and with beta-testers. We've been working with the MOD-7 for almost a year. It seems unlikely that there are any serious problems with the release. Formatting or down-grading will only cause more inconvenience. If you think you've identified a problem, please report it and wait to see what people have to say, before taking any extreme actions.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
danatkorg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Well, I thought all went well with 1.3... until I copied a combi into the sequencer and all s**t broke loose. A very serious light show, frozen scene buttons and when I hit record the Karma and latch buttons would turn off and could not be reactivated. The combi I copied over was not there, just a selection of patches that had no relation to the combi chosen..

Can you describe what happened with the lights?

Also, can you tell me: did you load in the new KGE file?

Again, I'm very sorry that you've had difficulties with this.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jhibshman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Beta Testing Reply with quote

I mean absolutely no disrespect by saying this, but based on my own experience with the updates and the posts that are being left on both this forum and the karmalab forum, it appears that your beta testing was insufficient.

It is either that, we are all a bunch of idiots that don't know how to burn a CD and turn on our boards, or there are hardware issues that vary from machine to machine that are conflicting with the install process.

I have an engineering background and I know very well that debugging software (and hardware) of this magnitude can be a challenge so I am on your side. However, it appears that either our suggestions have fallen on deaf ears or your beta testers have neglected to examine even the most basic of tasks under the microscope. My number one example being the crashes that are still happening in program select mode.

The fact is, that with the amount of money we pay for this machine and the time we all wait for updates, we should either have CDs mailed to us from KORG that we know will not muck up our machines or they should figure out a way to make the update not so sensitive to the user install process. I verified the CD and examined it very closely to make sure that there were no scratches, marks, or even a speck of dust present prior to placing it in my CD drive before turning off the machine to perform the update. Then, I followed the instructions exactly. If this is the case, then why am I having problems too?

I, for one, am getting very fed up with the reliability of this board and all of the unexpected problems that arise out of the middle of nowhere. I have had several extremely embarrassing situations occur in my professional music career as a result of this board. They are completely unacceptable when paying this kind of money for, what is supposed to be, a flagship workstation. If this is any indicator of the quality process at KORG, then it sounds like you need new beta testers. I'll volunteer!

I completely agree with the importance of a new karma version (because no musician should be constrained by canned patterns that fall outside of their vision) and the new synth module. However, the basic functionality of the workstation should be the primary focus. If the user can't perform using the board without crashes in the middle of their set or session, it makes all the ancillary features unimportant.

Last edited by jhibshman on Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Lou wrote:
Well, I thought all went well with 1.3... until I copied a combi into the sequencer and all s**t broke loose. A very serious light show, frozen scene buttons and when I hit record the Karma and latch buttons would turn off and could not be reactivated. The combi I copied over was not there, just a selection of patches that had no relation to the combi chosen..

Can you describe what happened with the lights?

Also, can you tell me: did you load in the new KGE file?

Again, I'm very sorry that you've had difficulties with this.

- Dan

Hi Dan,
Believe me when I say, I followed the install sheet to a pin. Also after two+ years of doing Korg upgrades, I'm very comfortable with the procedure. Yes, I copied the KGE and the new Mod 7 to their respected folders. Here is the result of the upgrade in my machine:

Day 1.... Combi Mode and Program Mode worked flawlessly.
Day 2.... Copied a comb into the sequencer and set my Karma, Latch and Scenes to to the desired positions for 1st take. Hit the record button, all still ok. Then when touching the Record, Star/Stop that's when the Karma, Latch and Scene buttons took control in the off position. So then
I reached to reset them and nothing was resettable. All buttons were frozen. Also, the screen flickered upon hitting the Start/Stop. I thought maybe I should do the download again and start over. Same exact response. Thats when I figured maybe I should just reformat the HD.
All of the trouble was in sequencer mode. Right now, day two, I'm still down and have a screen with Red text.... I'm sorry Dan, but this really shouldn't be. Thanks for your attention.
mozartella

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am ON THE TITANIC, with you....

me too, my Oasys is sinking, not singing anymore, and when I read your post, do not tell me, I must going back to down town to have a set of CD, and reformat and ask for a new authorisation number, and burn again a fews more cd....

Then, ? a question, even if we use an USB stick, and the USB was not ON at install time, can we still have trouble if we re-insert the USB stick after the install is over?

geez and that upgrage is going to be costly in top of it....

help please what do I do now? I know, going to bed for now in the MOD of a good mood Evil or Very Mad
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, an answer to the easy question:

mozartella wrote:
Then, ? a question, even if we use an USB stick, and the USB was not ON at install time, can we still have trouble if we re-insert the USB stick after the install is over?

Yes, you can re-connect it after the install is complete.
It is just important that there be no USB devices connected during the installation itself.

mozartella wrote:
OK, I am ON THE TITANIC, with you....

me too, my Oasys is sinking, not singing anymore, and when I read your post, do not tell me, I must going back to down town to have a set of CD, and reformat and ask for a new authorisation number, and burn again a fews more cd....

Hi,

I'm going to shout now.
Cover your ears.
OK, ready?
Here we go:

PLEASE DO NOT FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE!

DON'T DO IT!

IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE INSTALL, DO THIS:

1. Disconnect all USB devices.
2. Burn a fresh copy of the CD. If you used CD-RW media, use a new disk. Use the verification option in your CD-burning software, if available.
3. Use the boot-from-CD method to update the software (as opposed to the Global menu update command). For full instructions, see the update guide PDF. Remember, don't touch the front panel during the update!

Finally, or perhaps even first -

DON'T PANIC!

It is understandable that big updates can make people nervous. This is natural, but we should also remember that this nervousness may tempt us into taking extraordinary steps - such as formatting the HD - which can only result in greater inconvenience. Take a few deep breaths, try the steps above, and talk to tech support if necessary; this may very well save you a great deal of time and effort.

Best regards,

Dan
mozartella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, thanks you going to proceed like you said, but, I still have a question

If, on the first install, something went sour, for wathever reason, and if I do burn a new disk, the memory of the Oasys, would not recall the previous upgrading ?

then ? if the disk I mean the first one was not faulty, how a new re-install would fix the first one? with the same data in the new disk?

I wait before making more trouble from your next answer....

thanks

PS, on my upgrade, I did NOT reformatted the HD
mozartella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beta Testing Reply with quote

jhibshman wrote:
I . My number one example being the crashes that are still happening in program select mode.

this is also my trouble, in program mode,

and, I just realized, with this fine upgrade, we are going to need

$ 249 for the MOD7
$ 169 for the Karma software and in November...............
$ 149 for the news sample

Then? a new hardware synth would be not better? because, yes, very nice to have all under on hood, but, to use it all...? how?, since we do only have 8 scenes, available with the hardware Oasys, but could use 32 with the help of the software, then ? Rolling Eyes

For a fact, in Combi mode, we can, yes have one timbre allocated for the melody, but no more then one, yes, I do know, we can have our keyboard split into more then one, but, me I miss that function like having it with the PA1 X pro, a choice of 4 UPPER voices if needed, in a single combi
Arend Groot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated my Oasys to 1.3 and authorized the MOD-7 and the user A KGE ( what a beauty) at October the first. I updated from 1.2.3 and followed the instructions from the update manual and used method 2, i did not unplug the usb connections. The manual describes to do this when following method 1.

My Oasys freezes two times the last four days, but today already three times. In program mode and combination mode as well. Most of the time I am changing sounds in the program or combi select mode. Also in GE select mode changing Karma GE's. No midi connections, just the same as 1.2.3.

What should you recommend? Wait and play on and try to be more specific, or burn a new file and update and authorize the way Dan described in this post?

Arend
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all these reports I'm glad I held off Upgrading,I won't bother installing the New OS just yet,Its a Kind of "If it isn't broke don't try and Fix it"....

Last edited by Kontrol49 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mozartella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
DON'T PANIC!

It is understandable that big updates can make people nervous. This is natural, but we should also remember that this nervousness may tempt us into taking extraordinary steps - such as formatting the HD - which can only result in greater inconvenience. Take a few deep breaths, try the steps above, and talk to tech support if necessary; this may very well save you a great deal of time and effort.

Best regards,

Dan

my dear dearest Dan, if I would panic, without the Titanic, I would not be alive anymore.....with, either installing an upgrade or else...when I use my computer, and reformat, or resize, or reinstall some new softwares, ( because, very often they are buggy) then, for upgrading an Oasys, this is not so complicated, I feel...(maybe not)

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: