Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to go about these Midi-problems?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: How to go about these Midi-problems? Reply with quote

Dear Oasyians,
1. When I record a combi in the sequencer where there are, let's say 4-5 different instruments on Midi 1, there seems no way to avoid changes in velocity or any other change on 1 of these without effecting all the others at playback. WHile recording it seems that only, let's say track 3 gets louder or softer, but at playback all the tracks will move along. (Of course, because they are all hooked on midi1!)
( I found that in the Midi Filter 1/2/3 I can undo certain parameters like Control messages, but then some wanted will also be gone).
So now what to do? Trying to change the midi on tracks doesn't help because every note has the midi-track 1 included.
2. The same problems presents itself when taking the midi-file to an external sequencer, i.e. Cubase or Sonar. I don't find any way to change this. Also to adress 1 channel seperately with different midi-channels. It just doesn't work.
Why would this be helpful.
When you want to edit your midi-file and want to listen to it correctly.
Editing files in the inbuil sequencer is a drag, everybody( i believe ) knows that. You cannot write new phrases or notes like in sequencers.
It really gives me a headache.
Ideally would be that you could adress a certain instrument in the Oasys-sequencer from outside on any midi-channel you want.
3. WHo knows a better way to record a sequencer song into a sequencer, but not just a stereo-wave-file like you get when you bounce your tracks to audio.
I tried to do the following, which works, but takes a lot of time.
I bounce track by track by muting all undesired tracks, but not channel 1. Because otherwise all other channels on Midi 1 will not work. I can only put the velocity of channel 1 to 0, that works.
After that I can import channel by channel to the sequencer and can go on editing them here. This works but is very, very time consuming ( if you have 10 tracks at 10 minutes, you will have 1 hour and 40 min. minimum for recording the tracks as audio waves.
But that seems to me the only way to record separate channels and tracks.
So these are at the moment headaches for me and I will be very thankful to anybody who can provide some creative input into these matters. Idea
Thanks
Anashwaran

Anashwaran's New Website
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that nobody has answers to these problems or is interested. This might also be due to the euphoria of the MOD-7 engine and the new update. What the hell is this guy talking about such old Midi-stuff, no? Embarassed
But these problems keep coming back and back for shure.
So i have to show patience
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
tonybanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:
It seems that nobody has answers to these problems or is interested

Smile Smile Smile
Uh, you forgot to ask for the "Sequencer Update" which is the keyword to enter the community of Oasys' Sequencer Users Group.
Smile Smile Smile
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anashwaran,

I'm not 100% clear on you problem. However, the only way to achieve different velocity dynamics on separate voices is to separate them out to different midi tracks and edit them. Here, you will have to cut and paste the original midi channel midi track to the other midi track and then change their midi channel.

In this instance you have numerous midi tracks which occupy minuscule amounts of memory, and can then proceed to edit them via the midi editor. When happy, you can then make a stereo mix.

Alternatively, if you have another midi keyboard plugged into the OASYS midi in port and enable midi multi track recording, you can play two separate lines on with your two hands which will of course preserve your playing dunamics.

You could always score your composition and decide on the dynamics, and then record it track for track the way you want it!!

Not sure if this helps, but its the best I can make out from your description of the issue at hand.

Kevin
WWW: www.knect.ie
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to go about these Midi-problems? Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:

Dear Oasyians,
1. When I record a combi in the sequencer where there are, let's say 4-5 different instruments on Midi 1, there seems no way to avoid changes in velocity or any other change on 1 of these without effecting all the others at playback. WHile recording it seems that only, let's say track 3 gets louder or softer, but at playback all the tracks will move along. (Of course, because they are all hooked on midi1!)

It sounds to me like you need to use different MIDI channels - not just different tracks. This will allow separate control of the different tracks.

Anashwaran wrote:
Also to adress 1 channel seperately with different midi-channels. It just doesn't work.

You are correct. Using different MIDI channels is the only way to address Tracks separately.

Anashwaran wrote:
3. WHo knows a better way to record a sequencer song into a sequencer, but not just a stereo-wave-file like you get when you bounce your tracks to audio.
I bounce track by track by muting all undesired tracks, but not channel 1. Because otherwise all other channels on Midi 1 will not work. I can only put the velocity of channel 1 to 0, that works.
After that I can import channel by channel to the sequencer and can go on editing them here. This works but is very, very time consuming ( if you have 10 tracks at 10 minutes, you will have 1 hour and 40 min. minimum for recording the tracks as audio waves.

You can use the bussing system to record tracks separately - up to 4 mono tracks, or two stereo tracks, at the same time.

You are clearly an accomplished musician. However - and I hope that you will take no offense at this, since I mean it honestly and in the spirit of helping you to get the most out of your tools - it sounds to me like you might benefit from a few hours of instruction on MIDI and sequencing basics. Not a lot - just enough to get you comfortable with basic concepts. I'm sure that after a little instruction, you would understand everything easily.

The same basic concepts should apply to all MIDI and sequencing tools, so you don't necessarily need someone who knows the OASYS. I'd advise you to talk with someone at a local music store, or at your Korg distributor; they may have a suggestion for a teacher or consultant.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought of your post as I'm working on a track... I'm using Combi A011 Silver Slumbers and I wanted the sound of its lower octave (Timbre 1) and the windchimes (Timbre 3) to fade out independently of the other Timbres. What I did to accomplish this may or may not help you out, but it's a potential idea...

I'm sequencing in Logic, and here's a screenshot:

The two regions at bottom contain sysex information generated in real time by moving the value slider while the Timbre was selected (which in turn changes the level of that Timbre's volume). It's sysex, yes, but it's nothing more than volume information in a sysex form.

The first purple region shows my slider movements (volume reduction) to Timbre 1 when it was selected, and the second region shows slider movements (again, volume reduction) to Timbre 3 when Timbre 3 was selected. You don't see a sloping line indicating a change in level, but those X's represent the data that was recorded.

You'll see that at the beginning of each of those two regions that there's a single "X", and that represents (sysex) which sets the "starting" level of each of those two timbres. I generated it like this:

Starting with Timbre 1, before recording I selected its fader on the touch screen and decremented the value of the Timbre level by 1 using the button next to the value slider. Then I went into record and incremented the value by 1 using the increment button. This sent the (now) original starting level (in sysex) to Logic.

Then I simply moved the value slider for the Timbre; moving the slider generates the sysex value for the slider position.

I repeated these moves for Timbre 3.

BTW, it was necessary to move the value slider and not the physical slider to achieve this (probably has something to do with my sysex settings in Logic).

But anyway, while this differs from what you want to achieve regarding independent velocity control, it's an approach that might let you at least manipulate the balances between the various Timbres within a Combi.

HTH,

-=sKi=-

Last edited by ski on Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends, thanks for your inputs. I appreciate.
But it was Stephen in the other forum who gave the correct answer, (so far).
He pointed out that it is always the 1. track in a bunch that contains the datas, and not the others. So you will have to copy these datas and edit them, otherwise nothing will help. This seems to be the temporary solution, i will have to check that.
Dear Dan, I'm not offended by your counsels, but I think it is not the point. I did 3 CD's working all with Midi-files etc...
It is the Korg-Midi system that gives me headaches and makes things really complicated. With Yamaha you don't have to do all this work around, because there is no Global channel and your datas get recorded on different channels right from the beginning! Wink You see?
I work all the time with Midi and 2 keyboards and 2 PC's and software, that is not my problem, at least I hope. Dealing with the Informations in Korg's Midi-system is not easy, because all the datas flow through channel 1 ( or whatever your global channel is) and with the exception of the Karma channels, get recorded all in 1 !!!! That is the problem. ANd then there is need to seperate them again. In other midi-systems, this normally never happens.
But now that I know that the datas are only recorded in the first channel, I might be able to sort that out.
I will come back to the points when I have some more experience.
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:
Dealing with the Informations in Korg's Midi-system is not easy, because all the datas flow through channel 1 ( or whatever your global channel is) and with the exception of the Karma channels, get recorded all in 1 !!!!

Sorry, but I don't understand this. It's not correct for Sequencer mode.

Best regards,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Anashwaran wrote:
Dealing with the Informations in Korg's Midi-system is not easy, because all the datas flow through channel 1 ( or whatever your global channel is) and with the exception of the Karma channels, get recorded all in 1 !!!!

Sorry, but I don't understand this. It's not correct for Sequencer mode.

Best regards,

Dan

Dear Dan,
1. I like to refer to the thread in the Karma-lab forum:
http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10394
It seems that Stephen did agree with the problem. But you might check that out for yourself.
2. I like to restart from the beginning, and that brings me also to another point or topic, namely the way most of us compose and record. As there are many way and routines possible, i believe that everybody has his own ways he has elaborated for himself and he feels good at.
Although we have powerful PC's where you can record all your works in direct audio and work on them afterwords, many people still use midi-files along these audio-files in order to edit them later on.
My personal way is that most of the time I compose during improvisations, during which basic ideas get more &more clear to me until they really become tunes and basic sheets for the composition. This I do specially now with this great machine and the Karma-possibilities in direct improvisation which develops. When some good idea pops up during a certain combi, I switch to the sequencer and record as long as ideas start coming. So now I have a raw midi-file from maybe 200-300 measures which needed to be edited, if the ideas are valuable.
I think so far there is no problem. But now things become more complicated. Crying or Very sad
Depending on your combi, you might have 4-5-6 different instruments on Midi-channel 1, also in the sequencer. And you might need to separate them for editing, because they will all the time being coupled by all the sysex-datas and others.
Or is that not your experience? Sliders move together or panning etc...
Taking this midi-file into an external sequencer, and routing them to different midi-channels will not work if you play them back to the Oasys-sequencer or combi.
Please try and let me know.
And here comes the question in. And the solution proposed by Stephen.
You say it is not correct for sequencer mode. But that's my experience.
You cannot record on different channels except for the Karma-routed tracks. - Because of the global channel. Or not? If you route to another channel you are not able to hear the track, because no Midi-information is going to that track (except those specified in the Karma-section). Or not?
I would be glad to get corrected on that. But until now that is my experience.
And from there follow all the other points I mentionned earlier.
Waiting for Idea
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Anashwaran,

Anashwaran wrote:
I like to refer to the thread in the Karma-lab forum:
http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10394
It seems that Stephen did agree with the problem. But you might check that out for yourself.

I agree with Stephen's comments - in fact, they are very similar to what I wrote. But, they are not quite the same as the meaning I've taken from your comments in this thread. Perhaps I have misunderstood your intent.

The one caveat I'd add to Stephen's comments is this:

Stephen wrote:
You have to understand this first: When 2 or more timbres are assigned to the same MIDI channel, the lowest numbered timbre track will have the MIDI data. So in this example, track 1 would have MIDI data, and none of the others would.

This is correct when using ENTER + REC/WRITE to set up the sequencer from Combi mode, which was the specific example he was responding to. I assume that he did not mean this as a general statement, because...

When multiple tracks are set to the same MIDI channel, you can choose to record onto any of the tracks. The data will then play back on all Programs set to that MIDI channel.

You can even have different data on multiple tracks set to the same MIDI channel, if desired.

Anashwaran wrote:

The keyboard and controllers are routed to the channel of the selected Keyboard Track. (The Global Channel does not apply here.)
This routes the keyboard to a single MIDI channel at a time.

Each pad can also be routed to a different MIDI channel, if desired; for instance, you could have kick drum on channel 3, snare on channel 4, and hats on channel 5.

You can record the keyboard and all pads simultaneously, on multiple tracks, using Multi Record.

Anashwaran wrote:
Depending on your combi, you might have 4-5-6 different instruments on Midi-channel 1, also in the sequencer. And you might need to separate them for editing, because they will all the time being coupled by all the sysex-datas and others.
Or is that not your experience? Sliders move together or panning etc...

Yes, as I wrote:

It sounds to me like you need to use different MIDI channels - not just different tracks. This will allow separate control of the different tracks.

and:

You are correct. Using different MIDI channels is the only way to address Tracks separately.

Anashwaran wrote:
Taking this midi-file into an external sequencer, and routing them to different midi-channels will not work if you play them back to the Oasys-sequencer or combi.

If I understand correctly, this will work perfectly, as long as the OASYS MIDI channels are set up to match. I use different MIDI channels from a sequencer into the OASYS quite regularly.

If zones in a Combi overlap, then this might become more tricky, but it should still be possible with editing.

In cases with hard splits, I understand that it would sometimes be useful to have different MIDI output from the two sides of the split. However, this is also the easiest case to edit after the fact.

Anashwaran wrote:
WHo knows a better way to record a sequencer song into a sequencer, but not just a stereo-wave-file like you get when you bounce your tracks to audio.

You mention "put the velocity of channel 1 to 0," which I'm not sure that I understand. Did you mean "volume" instead of "velocity?"

In general, this sounds very time- and labor-intensive to me. As I mentioned earlier, you can record two stereo tracks simultaneously, which should cut your time in half. But, I wonder - what exactly are you wanting to accomplish by recording the individual tracks as audio? If you have the time to reply, please try to be as specific as possible; for instance, name a factory Combi, describe the tracks that you want to separate, and so on.

Best regards,

Dan
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
The one caveat I'd add to Stephen's comments is this:

Stephen wrote:
You have to understand this first: When 2 or more timbres are assigned to the same MIDI channel, the lowest numbered timbre track will have the MIDI data. So in this example, track 1 would have MIDI data, and none of the others would.

This is correct when using ENTER + REC/WRITE to set up the sequencer from Combi mode, which was the specific example he was responding to. I assume that he did not mean this as a general statement, because...

When multiple tracks are set to the same MIDI channel, you can choose to record onto any of the tracks. The data will then play back on all Programs set to that MIDI channel.

You can even have different data on multiple tracks set to the same MIDI channel, if desired.

Yes, that's correct- I was dealing with the simple case. As you point out, you *can* manually set up a number of tracks on the same MIDI channel, and choose any of them to actually record the data on, and all tracks on the same MIDI channel will respond to the playback. But another point related to this is: If you Multi-Rec enable all of them, and record a pass, the system is smart enough that the data will only end up on the lowest numbered track. You don't get 4 copies (example) of the data recorded, even if you've got 4 tracks enabled, because they're all on the same MIDI channel. But just for anyone's further edification, as Dan has said, you could have 4 tracks set to the same MIDI channel, and record different things on each track one at a time, and all 4 of them would respond to the data at once. For example, you could have piano on Track 1, strings on track 2, set them both to Channel 1, and record a LH part on the piano track, and a RH part on the string track, and the two timbres would play both LH and RH at the same time, together.

My main point was that, normally when recording a "layered track" that is copied from a combi, you will end up with a single track of MIDI data on the lowest track that shares the MIDI channels. If you then want to separately edit one of those timbres, you can duplicate the data of the track to one of the other tracks, set it to a different MIDI channel, and you've now got an independent track that you can do waht you want with. Of course, if you decide to change the note data later on, like a different riff, well then...you have more work to do to get it reflected to the now-separated copy.

Also, Ski does point out the fact that you can use sysex to modify things like volume, affecting the individual tracks without making a copy of the data. That's also a useful technique depending what you want to accomplish.

Anashwaran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Dear Anashwaran,

I agree with Stephen's comments - in fact, they are very similar to what I wrote. But, they are not quite the same as the meaning I've taken from your comments in this thread. Perhaps I have misunderstood your intent.

Dear Dan,
I have to check one solution & proposition after the other and this will take time. But 1 thing is for shure: You cannot record on more than 1 channel at a time! Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm happy about the interest about yours and Stephen's input, but my wish to record on different channels still doesn't work.

I give a practical example:
Take Combi 020: The secret adventure.
You have 3 Motion-Synths and 3 drums on channel Gch ( channel 1 normally).
Whether you use the sequencer by entering Enter/REC or go to Sequencer and use Copy from Program does not change things.
If you change any of the tracks to Midi-channel 4,5,6,7,or 8 ( 2 and 3 are taken by Karma tracks 7+8 ), you will have no datas recorded on these tracks! No?
So that's my point. I hope to make myself understood.
You have to record all these 5 tracks on Gch and then afterwords separate them as suggested by Stephen. No? But this is another point I come back later.

Anashwaran wrote:

Quote:

The keyboard and controllers are routed to the channel of the selected Keyboard Track. (The Global Channel does not apply here.)
This routes the keyboard to a single MIDI channel at a time.

So this is practically the same. You can only record datas on 1 Midi-channel at a time. There is no other way.
Quote:

Each pad can also be routed to a different MIDI channel, if desired; for instance, you could have kick drum on channel 3, snare on channel 4, and hats on channel 5.

Yes this works for me also. I hear them, but they are not recorded in the sequencer. Multi-track is on)
But not with the keyboard. Here you don't even hear what you play.
Quote:

You can record the keyboard and all pads simultaneously, on multiple tracks, using Multi Record.

Yes, different tracks, but not different Midi-channels.

Quote:
Yes, as I wrote:

and:

This is the point.
But how you do this? I go to Track parameter, Midi, and put a certain track to another Midi-channel. Correct?
WHen I do that, no sound is heard and no datas are recorded on these channels! So how you do that?????????
Sorry to bother you with the same question over and over, but there is some misunderstanding here. I checked all my notes, and have the feeling that there were some discussions on that, but I don't find them.

Best regards,

Dan[/quote]
Anashwaran's New Website
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to add that I appreciate a lot the new play-button in the sequencer! Very Happy
Anashwaran's New Website
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:
danatkorg wrote:

Yes this works for me also. I hear them, but they are not recorded in the sequencer. Multi-track is on)
But not with the keyboard. Here you don't even hear what you play.
I'm not sure what you mean, that this doesn't record. Maybe I'm not understanding you.

- Put Program A004 on the first 3 tracks, in a NEW Song. By default, that will be MIDI Channels 1,2,3.
- On the Pads Page, assign the first 3 pads to Channels 1,2,3.
- Assign a kick note to Pad 1, a snare note to Pad 2, and a Hihat to Pad 3.
- Check the "multi-rec" checkbox.
- Press the REC/WRITE button, and the metronome starts clicking.
- Touch the PLAY button for each track, to turn it into a REC button. Now 3 tracks are set to the Red REC icon.
- Start recording, playing the 3 pads.

I got separate data on all 3 tracks, on all 3 MIDI Channels, no problem. Is this not what you meant above? (I'm not talking about your other issues, just this one here.)

Anashwaran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

- Put Program A004 on the first 3 tracks, in a NEW Song. By default, that will be MIDI Channels 1,2,3.
- On the Pads Page, assign the first 3 pads to Channels 1,2,3.
- Assign a kick note to Pad 1, a snare note to Pad 2, and a Hihat to Pad 3.
- Check the "multi-rec" checkbox.
- Press the REC/WRITE button, and the metronome starts clicking.
- Touch the PLAY button for each track, to turn it into a REC button. Now 3 tracks are set to the Red REC icon.
- Start recording, playing the 3 pads.

I got separate data on all 3 tracks, on all 3 MIDI Channels, no problem. Is this not what you meant above? (I'm not talking about your other issues, just this one here.)

Dear Stephen,
Strange as it is, I cannot reproduce your recordings.
I have not a single data in all 3 channels, although I folowed your advice to the letter! Embarassed Crying or Very sad Sad
How can that be?
I hear all the time the 3 sounds, recording is running, when I play a note on the keyboard, it is recorded only on midi1 and that's it.
There seems to be something strange.
Or can there be something in the Global preventing this?
I thought a moment that the Status of the channel , Int or BTH had to do with this. But that is not the case as this is for sending Midi-data to external devices.
SO what to do?
Question Question Question
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: