Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to go about these Midi-problems?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:
I hear all the time the 3 sounds, recording is running, when I play a note on the keyboard, it is recorded only on midi1 and that's it.

"keyboard"? It won't go to the separate channels from the keyboard, only from the pads. The pads are capable of being assigned to different channels, but the individual notes on the keyboard are not - they all go to the global channel. I was merely trying to see if you could get the pads example to work. Doesn't it work from the pads for you, if you follow my instructions?

Anashwaran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO,No,NO Crying or Very sad
That's what I wrote, it doesn't work from the pads. No data whatsoever.
???????
Anashwaran's New Website
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Anashwaran wrote:
I hear all the time the 3 sounds, recording is running, when I play a note on the keyboard, it is recorded only on midi1 and that's it.

"
but the individual notes on the keyboard are not - they all go to the global channel.

So that's what I was all the time repeating, but I misunderstood Dan in a previous mail because he said:
Quote:

" The keyboard and controllers are routed to the channel of the selected Keyboard Track. (The Global Channel does not apply here.)
This routes the keyboard to a single MIDI channel at a time".

And the importance lies here also on AT A TIME!
So it should be possible to record a different Midi-channel in a second time, or not?
But still, my pads don't record. Why????
Crazy world!
How cool it was in India far away from all this electronic stuff, sitting with my Carnatic Music Teacher face to face and singing Indian ragas. Strange how this old system of learning is still the best I ever met.
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:
So that's what I was all the time repeating, but I misunderstood Dan in a previous mail because he said:
Quote:

" The keyboard and controllers are routed to the channel of the selected Keyboard Track. (The Global Channel does not apply here.)
This routes the keyboard to a single MIDI channel at a time".

And the importance lies here also on AT A TIME!
So it should be possible to record a different Midi-channel in a second time, or not?
But still, my pads don't record. Why????

Sorry, maybe I confused the issue. There is no Global Channel in Seq Mode, there's a "Track Channel". The Track Channel is the MIDI channel of whatever MIDI Track is chosen in the Track Select field. That's what I meant.

So, if tracks 1,2,and 3 are all set to MIDI Channel 1, you could record the keyboard on any of those 3, using the Track Select field, and it would play all 3 tracks. Of course you can record on a different MIDI channel a second time, just choose another Track in Track Select that has a different MIDI Channel - not one of the three on the same MIDI Channel.

Regarding the Pads, I simply don't know what to tell you. You've missed some setting or something is set differently on your OASYS, because this is not a hardware issue. With a freshly booted OASYS, Local Control On, no MIDI cables plugged in, repeat the experiment. It has to work...

Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was also writing in theKarma-Lab Forum, the results of all my testing are the following:
The testing suggested by Stephen with the pads doesn't work for me.
I have no recordings with the pads, which seems not normal.
Is this an effect of 1.3 or was it always like that, I cannot say because I didn't do this testing before.

I must say some of the experiments are difficult to understand at the beginning. But anyway I will try and you can follow slowly and do the testing. Here what I found:

I tried to record on Track1 and Midi-channel 1 on the KB. This is OK. I have my track in the sequencer and that seems normal.
Now I try to record on track 2 with Midi 2. That doesn't work.
When I put TR 1 on Midi 2 ( in the TR Parameter) and record on Midi2, that works.
But I hear TR1 & TR2 at the same time. (Let's say I have drums A004 on TR1 and Piano on TR2).
Now I put TR1 on OFF, (but still with Midi on 2 !!!) then I hear only TR2 while recording and in Playback. SO this way, multiple sounds & recordings are possible.
Next I record on TR8 (Bass) with TR1 OFF and with Midi 8, and I hear TR 2 and TR8 while recording. Now in the TR edit page TR2 & TR8 show as recorded datas.
If I don't put TR1 to Midi 2 or 8, no record will be shown in the sequencer.
So with this you can record on 16 TRs.

In Playback you can also Solo or Mute the tracks you want to listen to while TR is on Int or BTH.
What I mean by all this is that when the first TR is not put to the track you want to record, it will not record in the sequencer.
But then you will also hear what is as instument on TR1 unless you put it OFF in the TR Parameters. Muting here will not help because this is only for Playback.
You might try this on your O and let me know how it works for you, if it is a single case or if this is what KORG has intended to be!Think Question Idea
Thanks for any feedback.
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:

Is this an effect of 1.3

No, it works fine for me under 1.3.

In Global mode, on the MIDI page, in the MIDI Routing Setup section, what is the Pads MIDI Out parameter set to?

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
Anashwaran wrote:

Is this an effect of 1.3

No, it works fine for me under 1.3.
In Global mode, on the MIDI page, in the MIDI Routing Setup section, what is the Pads MIDI Out parameter set to?
- Dan

They are on PAD CC/Note
Anashwaran's New Website
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that was the problem.
On Chord Notes it works at last! Very Happy Idea Idea
UFF
Thanks Dan
Anashwaran

N.B.: What is interesting is that in playback only channel 1 gets lit up, although every channel has its own volume. Is that because the Midi Exclusive datas are only stored in Track 1?
Anashwaran's New Website
Anashwaran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm also able to record on different tracks with different Midi-channels when I highlight them in the Track Edit Page with the Keyboard.
The highlighted Track will provide the sound chosen and the Midi-channel. ((And only the selected one).
This is a complete new discovery for me. Didn't hear about this anywhere.
But I'm maybe a complete dinosaur Twisted Evil
Anyway this will give me a lot of possibilities.
And only by changing the pads. Strange!
Jai JAi
Anashwaran

N.B.: Commentaries are really welcome here
Anashwaran's New Website
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anashwaran wrote:
Now I'm also able to record on different tracks with different Midi-channels when I highlight them in the Track Edit Page with the Keyboard.
The highlighted Track will provide the sound chosen and the Midi-channel. ((And only the selected one).
This is a complete new discovery for me. Didn't hear about this anywhere.

But this would work regardless of the Pads Out setting. You are simply changing the Track Select field by highliting different tracks, same as setting it at the top of the Main Page. Perhaps you never realized that changing the Track Select field allows you to specify manually which track and channel the data goes on? (Normally, when you copy a Combi in with Auto Song Setup, the system sets it up for you automatically, so I can see how someone might miss this if that is the only way they usually use the Seq mode.)

Anashwaran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Stephen,
This seems so evident to you that you even didn't dare mentioning it.
But to me this is new. I don't know why and how, but it is so.
It seems as if I'm the only one not knowing this. Wink
But I'm happy to progress. I decided to check all these procedures in depth, because many procedures are supposed to be known, but it is not the case.
I made again this experience with my Roland VS2480, where I got a 3 hours video and discovered again new things. To see how someone is doing things helps much faster, that's why videos are of great help.
So I'm looking forward to this video in preparation.

StephenKay wrote:

But this would work regardless of the Pads Out setting.

This I doubted also.
Quote:

You are simply changing the Track Select field by highliting different tracks, same as setting it at the top of the Main Page.

This again I confirm. Highlighting (blue top) the track in the Main page doesn't change it on the Track Edit Page. They do not seem to be interrelated. But selecting it in the > Menu does on all pages.
So I have really to go back to basics! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Perhaps you never realized that changing the Track Select field allows you to specify manually which track and channel the data goes on? (Normally, when you copy a Combi in with Auto Song Setup, the system sets it up for you automatically, so I can see how someone might miss this if that is the only way they usually use the Seq mode.)

Yeah, that's it, we are more dummies that you thought Laughing
Thanks so far
Anashwaran
Anashwaran's New Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: