Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOD-7 / Virus TI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
master logic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: MOD-7 / Virus TI Reply with quote

What do you reckon, will MOD-7 release me from the agony of lusting after another Virus TI? i've not had a chance to play around with MOD-7 yet, anyone been able to compare?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any 2 oscillators from MOD-7 blow away what the TI's limited FM can do, especially on the high octaves, where the TI has some weird artifacting. The TI has that filter saturation/distortion sound going for it, which is why I love the TI. It still has its own sound.
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ML,
Ditto what Mike has said. In addition, you can use OASYS' other synths in the scheme of things. Can TI do that? Nope. Plus, you have Karma 2.1 to drive all those amazing VPM sounds - eons beyond any arp assignment TI can offer. Finally, you can drop MOD-7 voices into any timbre slots of your favorite or personally designed combi.

Concerning the latter, I've designed a combi comprised entirely of MOD-7 voices except for the drum kit and the results are terrific. Stay tuned for an announcement about it.

Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
milkojnr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master,
As a owner of a Virus TI and the Oasys with the MOD-7, the Virus TI destroys the MOD-7. Doesn't even come close.

I was also praying for Korg to release a EXi so I would not need a Virus but they still have not been able too.

There seems to be a number of us with both the Oasys and the Virus TI on this site. It is a great match.
master logic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's frustring that on paper MOD-7 & the Oasys in general wipes the floor with the Ti, but all said & done the TI seems unbeatable regarding many of the sounds i need, of course it's subjective but no matter how many amazing things i can do with the Oasys i'm still missing the TI sound, it's the only other synth after checking the new Motif & Vsynth GT that i feel i need. I really love the Oasys for soundscapes / sound design / pads but for pure techno bass / leads & sound fx i think the TI rules. Interestingly though, i sometimes wonder if i simply need to break the mould of what techno is supposed to sound like; for example, my favourite Detroit Techno producer is a guy called Kenny Larkin & back in the early to mid 90's while most people were using the classic analog Roland synths Kenny was mainly using digital synths & in particular the Korg Wavestation & his sound to me was a breath of fresh air. I'm certainly not going to rush out & buy another TI, i'll learn how this beast works properly, see what i can make it do & then decide.

Cheers guys.

Last edited by master logic on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
bax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
Any 2 oscillators from MOD-7 blow away what the TI's limited FM can do, especially on the high octaves, where the TI has some weird artifacting. The TI has that filter saturation/distortion sound going for it, which is why I love the TI. It still has its own sound.

milkojnr wrote:
There seems to be a number of us with both the Oasys and the Virus TI on this site. It is a great match.

+1 on both accounts...AL-1 is very nice sounding and very flexible but the Virus has its own sound and is more immediate (IMHO) for tweaking a VA patch. As far as the potential depth of FM (VPM, PM, whatever) *synthesis* is concerned, I don't believe there is much of a contest between the two - MOD-7 wins that one hands-down.

Thanks!
bax
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkojnr wrote:
Master,
As a owner of a Virus TI and the Oasys with the MOD-7, the Virus TI destroys the MOD-7. Doesn't even come close.

I was also praying for Korg to release a EXi so I would not need a Virus but they still have not been able too.

The MOD-7 and Virus TI are quite different, each with different strengths.

I'd be more interested in comparisons between the MOD-7 and synths which are similar in one way or another, such as the SY-77/99 or K2xxx.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are more advantages to having a variety of synths, each with their own sonic character, than a statement like "X destroys Y" would imply. No one synth can be everything to everyone, and that point is proven by the sheer number of synths on the market.

Quote:

I'm sure it is! Cool And having said that, try your hand at some custom MOD-7 programming; you'll likely find that you can make some great sounds on MOD-7 that aren't possible on the TI or any other synth.

Enjoy!
domc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm sure this is far-fetched and not easy (and I'd probably prefer the time to be spent on the seq) but.....

if Korg were able to reverse engineer a virus TI patch into an AL-1 patch (single patches not multis) in the same way that they have reverse engineered a DX7 patch .... then that would raise a few eyebrows amongst followers ...... and open up the AL-1 with several hundred/thousand of patches also on the internet!

Yes I know they'd have to introduce a new filter mode (which I've been hoping may be one thing they're thinking of doing anyway as it would cut across many of the engines), add an arpeggiator (perhaps through Karma), and do some approximations of the effects - but I'd have thought structurally there's no reasons why this couldn't be done.

The oasys VA would then benefit from all these extra patches being created - and this would address one of criticisms of the AL-1 which has nothing to do with its great sound / functionality , but with the limited availability of preset sounds compared to the 20 or so banks on the TI.

Anyway I know I'm dreaming, but for now my TI rests in a cubboard while my Oasys gets used most days, and I'd dearly love to access all sounds from one system....... we seem to get closer to this with every Exi release! Wink

Cheers, Domc
Octopus
master logic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked if only.

At the end of the day i need to stop procrastinating, get on with learning how to use my Oasys & stop looking elsewhere + my little micro q is a cheap alternative to a Virus TI.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bax wrote:
As far as the potential depth of FM (VPM, PM, whatever) *synthesis* is concerned, I don't believe there is much of a contest between the two - MOD-7 wins that one hands-down.

Absolutely! I was strictly comparing the TI's FM ability to two MOD -7 oscillators. No contest - MOD-7 is incredible. The other aspects of the TI and MOD-7 are apples and oranges. Each has their incredible strengths. (As Dan stated.)

danatkorg wrote:
I'd be more interested in comparisons between the MOD-7 and synths which are similar in one way or another, such as the SY-77/99 or K2xxx.

MOD-7 has many more EGs and routing options over the SY series. The one thing I wouldn't mind seeing added is a dedicated filter for the PCM. The SY synths let you run the PCM into 12/24db filters....then you were able to run that into the oscillators and a second set of 12/24db filters.

I'm really glad that you can imitate looping envelopes, by assigning a trigger. Just awesome!
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

master logic wrote:
At the end of the day i need to stop procrastinating, get on with learning how to use my Oasys & stop looking elsewhere + my little micro q is a cheap alternative to a Virus TI.

Definitely learn your OASYS! However, I like having the TI, too. If my OASYS ever goes down, the way it happened with Silverdragonsound, I'll have a backup with the TI and my other synths.
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidently, Mike, if you've had a chance to try recreating SY99 patches with MOD-7 -- or if you have any hints/tips that might help with that process -- let us know.

There's some patches on my 99 that I'd absolutely love to have on the O, though I'm guessing that it's going to be a pretty time-consuming process to try to rebuild them...
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT-Man, I've mainly played with the DX/TX sounds. I did run some PCM into the oscillators and created some of the velocity sensitive wave distortion effects, which can be enveloped for precision. Distortion is good when it is this contollable.

The main thing that threw me off was the reverse (but supposedly correct) order of oscillators in an algorithm stack. Operator 1 on the OASYS is in the SY/DX oscillator 6 position. Yamaha and Korg envelope values are opposite - 0 = fast on Yamaha, whereas 99 = fast on Korg. This is going to make direct SY program translating difficult. You can get the frequencies, but velocity and envelope settings are going to take a good ear.

There are a lot of new tricks and parameters on MOD-7. I can't wait for this busy time to pass, so I can just sit down and "play" with it.... Very Happy
Andy Leary
Korg Research and Development

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MOD-7 supports DX7 import and does a good job mapping the DX7 parameters into the MOD-7 world. However, we didn't really design it to be a "DX7 on Steroids". So, we made some different choices from the DX and SY synths like using the word "oscillator" instead of "operator", the ordering of the oscillators, etc. We decided to use the same EGs and LFOs used in the rest of the system so it would fit in with our other EXis. Of course we also added the filters, patch panel, PCM etc. So, it's got a lot in common with DX and SY but also has it's own "flava."

For DX7 import, we take care of that for you. In general, the MOD-7 does a great job of converting DX sounds. The EGs on the DX7 were, let's say, "unique" in their choice of envelope curvatures. The DX7 also had some "unique" ways of key scaling and velocity scaling, internally. Still, the MOD-7 converts most sounds very well as the example on Peter's blog shows. There are some DX7 presets like "WATER GDN" and "TAKE OFF" that do not sound identical to the DX7 because they take advantage of some bug, er.. I should say, "undocumented feature" in the way the EG segment transitions work in the DX7. Not a big deal.

For SY sounds though, you have to do it "by hand." I don't know if things like EG levels and times are consistent between the SYxx and DX7. If so, maybe you could convert SY to DX7 then import that and add the PCM related stuff by hand on the MOD-7.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: