Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EA 1 Required or retired?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: EA 1 Required or retired? Reply with quote

I wonder if the EA 1's still have a role in life despite being discontinued (in the UK at least). Is the EMX able to acheive the same types of sounds as the EA1 or would the EA1 complement a set up with an EMX in it?
Thanks in advance for your views.
Ruso
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all I gotta say about it is: http://korg.com/downloads/mp3/EMX1/EMX_KnbTwsta.mp3

it's one of the song demos that comes on the emx....
reddone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: YO ROBO ... Reply with quote

The Mx does a crazy range of sounds , many that the EA-1 couldnt hope to acheive . But .... The original EA-1 (not mkII) is excellent at old skool sub basses and loads of other "classic" analog bass's , so it still is useful .

Just dont expect much sounds to be any use apart from analog bass , the majority of sounds are "WEIRD" by todays standards .

Check it out tho bud
ronP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EA 1 Required or retired? Reply with quote

robosardine wrote:
I wonder if the EA 1's still have a role in life despite being discontinued (in the UK at least). Is the EMX able to acheive the same types of sounds as the EA1 or would the EA1 complement a set up with an EMX in it?
Thanks in advance for your views.

Oh, Yes . . .

You can pull out a lot of warm, organic sounds from the EA-1 mkII, and such sounds are timeless. I am constantly creating loops that combine a bassline with an organic percussive sound or an evolving effect. These, combined with a drum machine, are great for grooves as well as a "tune base" in support of lead improv on a keysynth.

Dig deep . . .

Smile

inducejack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the ea1 it sounded like a cheap commercial trance track. I dont miss it. op for the new school tribes if you can afford it. Really great for sequencing...
reddone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah , alot of ea-1 ( mkI ) sounds are POOR , to say the least ... but , i used to get some really good subs n rubberband b-line from mine .

When the Mx came out tho i presumed that it would kill my ea-1 , and it did so i sold it to get an EMU-0404 soundcard . The thing is tho , the Mx is AWESOME , but i really miss the way the ea-1 does bass sometimes .

for me it was a one trick pony , but it was damn good at that trick .

I miss it Crying or Very sad ( good bass for : Nu-skool breaks and garage )

Other than that , its more redundant than micheal jackson ... lol Wink

( mKI at least )
robosardine
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I have come back from the future to answer my own question. I now have the EA1 mk 11. It complements the big two perfectly and can indeed do heaps that the EMX could not manage. It somehow makes life a lot easier. The one motion per part is a bonus.. you can go mad recording different passes live and basically retain the original pattern. Mine is not leaving... If you have never tried one you really should. You dont know what you are missing.
TrondC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same position: I have the EA, and I want to upgrade to an EMX, but people keep telling me to keep the EA, as there's still a lot the EMX can't do (or atleast can't da as easily). I'll keep both my ER and EA when I get my EMX, I'm just too worried that I'll miss parts if I sell them..

www.myspace.com/SiestaSubmarina
http://siestasubmarina.bandcamp.com
reddone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell u what , i thought my old ea1 could still outshine my mx in a few areas and missed it a little bit after selling up ... but when i changed tubes on the mx sounds changed from Hard/dense/raw into soft/warm ... and so much more so i was more than happy , it feels more like an electribe to me .
If u want to take what u learnt on an ea1 to new levels then get an mx and good tubes , i dont think u'll be dissapointed .
BUT .... dont get rid of the ea1 as i still beleive the ea1 has something of its own to offer Smile

The ea1(mkI) was my first hardware synth and i really regret selling , it was good at bass mostly but it stood out in any mix . Nice for blobs n other analog bass . It lasted me a few years so i was happy .

the demo patterns on new and old ea1's are terrible tho . Er mkII is a GREAT imrovement over Er1 ... it can get pretty wild Wink

And i also beleive the sound of the original es1 to be more natural and less plastic than esmkII .

i'd really like to see mkII's of the x-tribes , that'd be intersting now !!
tomthurs

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ea1 a bit limited but It was a good starting synth. I have a EA1 mk2 if you put a bit of work in you can get some nice sounds mainly bass, high notes are pretty difficult to get sounding nice. I made a really nice bass sound with an ea1 and a mini kaoss's reverb, 67 I think?
I just got a Es1 and I really like it, I tend to use it as a drum machine but you can get some pretty large samples into it. I don't think I've fully used it to its potential.
fac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an EA-1 (only ER-1 and ES-1), but I think these videos show the true tonal range of the EA-1. It really goes beyond "analog" bass, and definitely beyond a "cheap commercial trance track". I might just get one myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmE1lfxbtGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcfcQV0c28
11hz

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when are people going to start modding or bending the old electribes like the ea1 and er1? That's what I'd like to see.
Music with Gameboys

Last edited by 11hz on Wed May 07, 2008 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Borg

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fac wrote:
I don't have an EA-1 (only ER-1 and ES-1), but I think these videos show the true tonal range of the EA-1. It really goes beyond "analog" bass, and definitely beyond a "cheap commercial trance track". I might just get one myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmE1lfxbtGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srcfcQV0c28

That's sooo rad.

fac

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one from the same guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeDCrb9d7dI
Headphones73

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, I have a love/hate relationship with this Electribe. I just ordered my 4th EA-1 since my EMX is in the pawn shop, my Er-1 mk2 was lonely, because I could pay for it on credit, and because it's like a old girlfriend you sometimes can't get along with, but I keep coming back to. And for $80 bucks + shipping, of course I want it back!

I love it for the Audio in feature, the cheapest TB303 clone patches, drones, and for its simplicity as 2 mono sequencers in one. The delay sounds can get crazy on it as well.

Hate it when I get bored of the patterns & sounds, and it's probably why I sold it 3 times before. I have a feeling I found some ways to cure the boredom on its internal sounds. I picked up a Line6 M5 FX pedal from Sweetwater, and I can use that to give me more flexibility with its pitch shifter, ring mod, compressor, chorus, phase/flange, distortion, etc.

Now the day I can get my EMX home is where the real fun can begin. If I can get the 5 internal synths, plus the 2 of the Ea-1, and also use the Er-1 mk2 all together, then I'll be quite the happy hamster! If I have to compromise and lose some patches from the EMX to slave the EA-1, at least I can get 8 measures to use with it!

I've owned all the Electribes beside the new ones & ESX. I miss the EM-1 even, but I will want to get that at some point from eBay. My EA-1 should arrive after I get home from work, and my ER-1 mk2 won't be so lonely now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: