Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bank buttons. What a waste of... buttons.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandzo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Bank buttons. What a waste of... buttons. Reply with quote

After playing with the m3 for a few days i've noticed i dont ever touch the bank buttons! Ever. It feels like a waste of buttons. Is there a way i could assign any data to these (like accesing some menu pages)? It really feels I could use these for some other tasks. it's nice to have acces to banks, but 14 buttons!?! what a waste... anyone?
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, absolutey. With only 2 buttons (bank up, bank down) it would have been enough.

There are other, more important things that need buttons, including:

Octave up & down (unforgettable)

track select / mute / solo buttons for sequence mode.

OT: It would have been nice if the PAGE SELECT button was also included permanently in the touch screen (in all the pages), this way you shouldn't need to move the hand that much when programming.
muziksculp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a very good observation !

You would think Korg would have put 8 knobs for Panning, and that can also be used as CC#. instead of 16 bank select buttons, and they missed out on having Oct. UP/Down buttons, which would have been far more handy to have.

Well, maybe a future OS can offer some more useful functionality to the Bank Select buttons.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for you guys there are too many bank buttons just now, because you don't own M3 for a very long time.
But once when you customize many sounds the way you want and make a lot of combis for playing songs with band or something like that, you'll see it's quite handy to have bank button for each bank.
For example, I play with a band and have many combis customized for each particular song, about 500 combis, and those combis are assigned to different combi banks according to type of music.
I also have two combis filled with layered programs in perfect third pitch (don't know did I described it well, meaning the basic pitch and second pitch in a third for double layering, user scales and all that).
So if it weren't for dedicated bank buttons it would be very hard to browse through all that, don't you think? Especially when I'm on stage and need to find and select exact combi in one second - this way dedicated combi buttons serve as some kind of filter, what they are meant to be in the first place, I think.
Quote:

Well, maybe a future OS can offer some more useful functionality to the Bank Select buttons.

I don't think that's going to happen, Korg would have to make very heavy programming modifications, it's like you want to alter your number 7 key on your PC keyboard - it's just number 7 (or /) but that's all it is.

Quote:
they missed out on having Oct. UP/Down buttons

You can always assign octave up/down to SW1 and 2 with exactly 2 seconds of programming.

Quote:
track select / mute / solo buttons for sequence mode.

This would be nice to have, I admit.

Regards, shrike
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrike wrote:
You can always assign octave up/down to SW1 and 2 with exactly 2 seconds of programming.

I don't agree.

First of all, you can not transpose more than 12 semitones. Then, if you use the M3 keyboard as a master keyboard for all your gear (like I do), you will definitely miss the transpose buttons. When I'm recording drums for example, I like to transpose the keyboard so I can play naturally in the center (or where it's more comfortable at the time) of it.

Currently, you are not able to play all the sounds in a dum kit without messing with the program internals or the global settings to transpose. That's not comfortable at all.

Come on, this is a very basic feature, at least in a 61 key keyboard. There is simply no excuse.

Reprogramming the SW1 and SW2 buttons is not a solution, in most programs they are programmed to do other useful things.

An OS update could handle this nicely, using for example the up and down buttons (those at the right side of the VALUE slider) and any other button, for example ENTER. By pressing the ENTER and both UP and DOWN buttons at the same time, transposition could be canceled.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come on, this is a very basic feature, at least in a 61 key keyboard. There is simply no excuse.

I play only Korg keyboards and newer needed octave up/down dedicated button, but if you and many other need it, keep on whit posts like this and maybe someone in Korg will have mercy...
Try sending those desires to Korg or to Jerrythek, he is Korg engineer active in this forums.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many keys does your keyboard have?
jaimonj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Other purposes! Reply with quote

I think its very helpful for people who are visually impaired! I seldom use mine but there are times that I have used my and are glad that its there.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always play 61 keys keyboards. Easy to transport and need them for live gigs.

But I have same sounds saved in few slots - one originals, five with different user scales and two +1oct and -1oct so have every possible option covered.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bank buttons are very usefull to me (i use them all the time, especially in sequencer), would be much better if there would also be category buttons...

i hate scrolling thru the touch screen to seach for sounds
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i hate scrolling thru the touch screen to seach for sounds

and on a live gig there is really no time to scroll programs/combis on screen.

Without dedicated combi buttons it would be impossible to play live, and if there would be possibility to assign them secondary options, you would have to turn them on/off, remember what those options were to do that, see if they are dedicated to all sounds in general, to particular sounds in editor etc etc. so they would lose it's defaulted simplicity. We don't need that kind of mess, I think.
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For saving and selecting, the bank buttons are a must. You can simply press the bank button and key in a number, then save. Very quick.
No one likes to scroll through hundreds of programs to get to a bank, so I'll take the numerous buttons.

As Shrike eluded to, it's something for Korg to consider.
It's not that there are not assignable switches and knobs, it's that some of the features are not assignable.
Well, maybe there should be SW3 and SW4 buttons in addition to more assignable features.

The problem is that there has not been a huge outcry for some of the features mentioned in this topic.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it's that some of the features are not assignable.

IMO, there could be one simple, elegant and useful solution to that problem.

If we would have let's say one additional key pad on keyboard with approximately 4 or 8 keys that would be completely configurable in terms that you can assign tasks on them no matter of menu. For example:
key one and two - up/down octave (meaning global, not just one program or exactly one program)
key three - timbre in combi/seq mute
key four - user scale 00 assigned to currently played program
key five - user scale 01 assigned...
etc etc.
See what I mean?
So you can assign anything you want, from menu you want, to do what you want.
That way everyone of us that misses this or that option could adjust it to a button and everyone of us could customize it to support desired options.
I would like to see that kind of assignable keys/pads on Korg, as shortcuts to things I have to engage/disengage during performance without browsing on screens, changing programs with different setups and not even have to save same sound in few slots with different setups, keys would alter them the way I want and it wouldn't require more than a second to do it.
tritex4
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea!!
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, tritex4.
You are platinum so been here much longer than I am.
Maybe you know is there any chance Korg will implement something like this in future boards?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: