Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who the hell...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebbytriton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC-IA wrote:
same as you peter! but when you play with the controller you'll have a lot of interesting sounds, now i think the bank is really very good. Very Happy

And the future ones Wink
Hope my OASYS will get a good treatment for this kind of dreams Smile
Andy Leary
Korg Research and Development

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

You've made some great demos. Really nice stuff. Can you tell us which programs you used for this latest one? Is the MS-20 program a factory sound?
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey great demo peter! nice work! i think we love the same sounds!! Very Happy

waiting for the next one....go go go !! Very Happy
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Leary wrote:
You've made some great demos. Really nice stuff.

Thanks, Andy!

Andy Leary wrote:
Can you tell us which programs you used for this latest one? Is the MS-20 program a factory sound?

The problem is that I press the record button and switch then between different sounds... all on the fly. Thus maybe I miss one, but for sure I used

- When a Robot Dreams (Intro)
- Beyond the Clouds (pad playing the harmonies, changed a little bit the EQ for the lower frequencies)
- Lost in an Ion Storm & Convergence (salt & pepper sounds)
- Double Plucked (PPG like sound)
- iRandom pmm solo (this is one of the sounds I programmed and Daz's iRandom helped me on that - it is using the MS-20)

RC-IA wrote:
hey great demo peter! nice work! i think we love the same sounds!! Very Happy

First let me thank you, RC! But... YOU do not expect me to be surprised that we two love the same sounds, don't you? Wink

RC-IA wrote:
waiting for the next one....go go go !! Very Happy

I would like to... but there are so many other things to do and then I have to be in the right mood. But meanwhile I wait for a MOD-7 track of a French guy Laughing Wink

peter
ski
Independent Sound Designer for Korg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Nice soundscape! And, eh, thanks for using some of my sounds Cool It's really nice to hear those sounds being used in such an evocative way.

Everyone,

I can't urge everyone enough to play with the controllers on all MOD-7 sounds (actually, on all patches for that matter). A lot (and I do mean a lot) of time and love goes into programming the joysticks, switches, and knobs 5 - 8 (and aftertouch too sometimes). Many sounds can be transformed into totally different sounds by adjusting the controllers.

Regards to All,

-=sKi=-
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnks Peter for the recordings.

Thnks Ski - I must learn to take my hands off the keys and play with the controllers, there are no controllers on an accoustic grand piano so its hard for a pianist guy, like me, to move hands from keys and reach over to controllers Very Happy But i will learn to do it!!!

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
ski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

Cool

When playing certain sounds, try not to think like a pianist. I know, I know, that's some fine advice coming from... a pianist! But just use your right hand and sustain some notes (or play riffs or whatever) and move the controllers. Or, particularly for pad sounds, sustain a full chord like you would on the piano, using the sustain pedal, and then while it's evolving, move the controllers.

While the goal was to have controllers cause an immediate change in sound, this wasn't always possible or even practical. So if a control doesn't seem to do anything while you're sustaining notes, move the control and then re-attack the notes. All controls will affect the sound in some way.

HTH!

-=sKi=-
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ski wrote:
And, eh, thanks for using some of my sounds Cool

.. it was a pleasure Wink

ski wrote:
When playing certain sounds, try not to think like a pianist.

I could not agree more. OASYS is such a powerful tool because of all these controllers that help you to have an influence on the sound. When playing sounds one really should check what do all these controllers do to the sound. Beside Ribbon, Bender, VJS I forgot to mention SW1 and SW2. Those two sometimes alter the sound completely.

... although there is another thread but anyway - FM was on top of my wishlist and in the last days I figured out what can be done and how expressive (!) MOD-7 is.

Therefore >>THANKS<< to all the people @ KORG for fulfilling this desire AND great sounds are coming with it.

another
peter
loneguitar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sounds Peter I like what MOD-7 can do it is definitely a great addition to the Oasys. Thanks for showing what it can do. Laughing
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
Thnks Ski - I must learn to take my hands off the keys and play with the controllers...

Billy,

another thing you could try is use the eight pads for chords together with the sustain pedal... in that case you have two hands to play with the other controllers... but that is maybe the worst case scenario for a pianist Laughing

peter
mdh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
its hard for a pianist guy, like me, to move hands from keys and reach over to controllers Very Happy But i will learn to do it!!!

Hi Billy,

As a classically trained pianist myself, I know where you're coming from. An acoustic piano is, generally, a soloist instrument. When playing synth, you have to get out of that mindset and think orchestrally - how will what I play complement the other instruments? Less is more. There's probably more effort in programming the keyboard than actual performance of the piece. Also, don't forget about foot controllers - you can plug 2 in alongside your damper pedal and assign any function to them.

I'm getting a lot out of watching videos by artists like Jordan Rudess - the current one up on korg.de recently posted here is a pearler! (If only to see his new custom-designed & built stand!) At the risk of looking like a complete n00b I had never thought about using keyboard zones to assign a background pad to a single key - namely the bottom one - so it can be played while manipulating the pitch/mod wheel and/or sw1/sw2 and/or the ribbon with the same hand - while doing a lead with the right hand!

Also the pads are your effect friend - program in the common chords for that song and you can hold the entire chord with a single finger while fiddling with the modulation controls. Works even better with KARMA as you can just tap the pad and free up the whole hand (or both!) for modulation.

When playing with a full band you may find you don't even need both hands - one piece I was doing some trumpet hits and a string pad and an organ lead (various times during the piece, not simultaneously!) - just used the right hand, the left was entirely free to switch voices and use the modulation wheel. The band had a bass guitarist handling the bottom end and a rhythm guitarist doing his thing, so there was no need for me to try to add that feel as I would if I were a solo pianist.
pandel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdh wrote:

As a classically trained pianist myself, I know where you're coming from.
When playing with a full band you may find you don't even need both hands - one piece I was doing some trumpet hits and a string pad and an organ lead (various times during the piece, not simultaneously!) - just used the right hand, the left was entirely free to switch voices and use the modulation wheel. The band had a bass guitarist handling the bottom end and a rhythm guitarist doing his thing, so there was no need for me to try to add that feel as I would if I were a solo pianist.

This is so true! In the beginning of my OASYS journey I had the pianist look myself. This whole knob tweeking thing wasn't mine. But yet after a while I love to control the sound with all the extra stuff a normal classic piano doesn't have (and need in fact). KARMA and the pads are an awsome combination. MOD-7 is sounding fantastic and can be dramatically changed with the assigned controls. And this experience had another nice side-effect: I have another old synth which is in our studio and I ignored the controllers on this board for a long time. But now, from what I've learned from my *new* synth, I use them a lot and it has brought in a whole new dimension to my band play. We've even rearranged some of our songs slightly because of me doing silly things Laughing
Just think of the controls to be some extra keys you got to learn and get used to and you never want to miss them!
peter m. mahr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still interested in MOD-7 demos, then maybe this link is of interest:

http://blog.petermmahr.com/2007/10/22/rcs-mod-7-demo/

RC recorded a MOD-7 demo which took him in total 25-30 hours and was completely done inside OASYS.

The above demo is 100% by RC and 100% OASYS.
Wink
RC-IA
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx peter for all the work Very Happy

please note that it is a 128Kbits 48KHZ MP3 and it should be at 44.1khz so the playback should be a little quicker, but i made a mistake (shame on me !!!). The change will made tomorrow Wink
ski

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...from RC's notes...

"The sounds are really good and by using only one you can have several sounds ready because of the well programmed realtime controllers, especially the Vector JoyStick which I have used a lot in the sequencer."

Glad to hear that you discovered what the controllers are capable of doing to a patch!

Not to exclude the others, but I particularly liked your guitar sound. Sounds Good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: