Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

60 minute live mixes from the Oasys?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeJack101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: 60 minute live mixes from the Oasys?! Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the best way to perform live techno/trance mixes on the Oasys, but I'm having a difficult time.

Here's the problem: I am currently unable to change the instrument sound I'm playing without just fading one in and the other out. Also, unable to change a karma pattern playing without stopping the whole song.

Just trying to stratigize on how to mix and transition between a bunch of techno/trance songs I've written to make it about an hour long without having to stop the beat.. but I want the song to change instrumentation, change karma patterns, and have RPPR availability.

Any idea on the best way to achieve what I'm trying to achieve here?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like asking us how do you mix songs live with one Deck Smile Can't be done.

Have you considered buying a desk with a built in sampler, or a cheap sampler. Then you could sample a loop and have that running while you stop the OASYS dead and switch over to your next song.

Or buy yourself an Electribe to help with the change over.

Regards.
Sharp.
Kerzwhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
That's like asking us how do you mix songs live with one Deck Smile Can't be done.

Have you considered buying a desk with a built in sampler, or a cheap sampler. Then you could sample a loop and have that running while you stop the OASYS dead and switch over to your next song.

Or buy yourself an Electribe to help with the change over.

Regards.
Sharp.

The Electribe Idea is actually brilliant!! Get the ESX!! You can sample some Karma, manipulate it on the fly then BAM back to the O!!!
MY Weapons of choice: K2600X, Oasys88, PC3X, K2661, V-Synth, MotifESR, ZR-76, TS-12, VFX, EPS16+,ESQ-1, ESQ-1R, Emu Xtreme Lead, SCI Six Trak, HR-16, Kurzweil Mark 150 Baby Grand and 2 D1600's synced!!!
http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=kerzwhile
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FX change when you switch to different setups. If you plan on using just the OASYS, for a sound source, then run it out of an outboard reverb or delay. You can kick up the send right before you switch Combis.

If the club is a boomy room, you might not even need outboard. If you already know the location numbers, you should be able to switch in about a second.

Actual mixing between combis isn't going to happen. I like Sharp's idea of triggering a loop from another sampler - Electribe, MPC, ASR 10, etc. That's probably the best solution. You could also have something on a CD.
JoeJack101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I switch to something such as a sampler and then back to the Oasys, how will I make sure the BPM is aligned up?
bctines

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to crossfade?

If so you might want to look at a Ketron MidJay and pre-record a lot of your set. Don't know if you could synch it with the O, though. Doubtful

But a MidJay with an OASYS would be a very powerful/funky DJ setup, nevertheless.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bctines wrote:
Do you want to crossfade?

If so you might want to look at a Ketron MidJay and pre-record a lot of your set. Don't know if you could synch it with the O, though. Doubtful

But a MidJay with an OASYS would be a very powerful/funky DJ setup, nevertheless.

I don't think this would suite him though since he is not prerecording anything. It's all live.

If he was allowed to pre-record, then he wouldn't need anything other than the OASYS since he could make use of the 16 HDR tracks. He could play live along side them.

Regards.
Sharp.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeJack101 wrote:
So if I switch to something such as a sampler and then back to the Oasys, how will I make sure the BPM is aligned up?

You sample the OASYS live during your set to extend your crossover from one song to the next. What you sample will be the same as what's playing, so everything will align. You just need to trigger it at the right point. This is basic stuff Djs do all the time live during a performance.

I would strongly recommend that you go with an Electribe or some sort of groove box device if you don't know about sampling already. An Electribe midi clock synced to the OASYS will give you all you need to stop the OASYS dead, and switch over to your next song.

Regards.
Sharp.
JoeJack101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I decide to have a drum sample come in while I change combi's or change instruments or effects, etc... What's the best strategy?

And what about this:
When I'm recording or creating this drum sample at 120 BPM for example, how do I get the sample to loop properly and at exactly 120 BPM? It shows a grid on the Loop Edit page under Sampling mode, however it doesn't "Snap To Grid" like most software programs would? Any help?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeJack101 wrote:

If you use a synth pad or some other weird transition sound, you don't have to worry. If you are playing a KARMA beat and start the pad before you stop the beat, the pad keeps playing, while you switch combis. Then, start the beat of the second combi and have your pad fade out.

BTW, other transitional sounds could be used - I'm thinking industrial Depeche Mode breaks and fillers, like a train on the tracks or a car starting.

Okay, here is my example:

Ba da ba dump ba Ba da ba dump ba....*hits sample of jet fly by* "WHOOOOOSH!" (changes combi)....Bum bum bum bum....da ba da bum ba bum bum bum.... Dancing Very Happy
JoeJack101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mike and everyone for your responses. This is really helping me figure this out.

Here's an example...

thump thump thump thump (drums going).... then trigger drum sample Still at 120 BPM (which also goes thump thump) and start new combi at same BPM and nobody ever knows I really switched anything because the drums kept going perfectly.

The Loop Edit page doesn't let me LOCK into making it loop at exactly 120 BPM, it just gives the graphs where the proximity of the beats are.

Any ideas???
JoeJack101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i think I misunderstood... basically the only way is to buy an Electribe or another device to mix with... ugh...

I wish they would rewrite the Oasys software to somehow allow you to play a sample or keep a sample going while you transition between combi's or sequences or programs....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Oasys All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: