Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3, XS, and O1W

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilmComposer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: M3, XS, and O1W Reply with quote

I am buying a new workstation in the next two weeks. I have it narrowed down to the M3 and XS. I really like both of them - for different reasons. (XS for samples - M3 for synths, layers, and seems much easier to get around.) This is my first major equiptment upgrade in years.

My question is about my 01W-FD - I am thinking of getting rid of it (I have limited space). Is there any reason at all to hold onto that thing?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are ready to part with it

Time to move ahead
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 01/Wfd and space is becoming an issue so I'm looking for an 01R/W to replace it because the sounds still hold up well some 15 years later and many are quite unique.
I just replaced the Wavestation EX with an SR to make room for my M3. Dunno if I'm going to sell the EX or not, so it's stored away in a closet for now. I may do the same for the Trinity as TR-Racks are easy to come by. Dunno what to do about my Z1. Confused
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity2112 wrote:
Dunno what to do about my Z1. Confused

Moss board???for your Triton rack...

Do you really want to sell your Z1 Crying or Very sad ???This has to be one of Korg's Finest ever synths...and I'd much prefer to have a hardware machine than a Circuit board,you can perhaps maybe understand the O1W for a rack alternative your just simply removing the Keybed,but the Z1 for a circuit board???

I thought about getting the Moss for my Triton when I was looking for a Z1,but the price of the moss Expansion at the time was dearer than buying a second hand Z1,plus you get far more hands on control over the sounds...irrespective of space being an issue the Z1 is a masterpiece..I'd never sell mine its a Beast..

The Z1's are starting to creep back up again in the secondhand prices,meaning that perhaps more people are taking an interest in them,they're already Quite a rare machine.a good investment considering it wasn't a successful synth for Korg... Question
Trinity2112
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kontrol49 wrote:

Moss board???for your Triton rack...

Yeah, I've considered that many times, as well as the MOSS expansion board for the Trinity. But that's going from 18 voices and 512 programs with the DSPB-Z1 board/ZSC 01 card down to 6 voices and 128 programs for the MOSS boards. That's a significant loss, IMHO.
Current Korg Lineup: Kronos 61, Oasys 76 · M3-61/RADIAS · Trinity Plus/HDR · 01/WFD · 01R/W · X3R · M3R · Wavestation EX · Wavestation SR · Triton Rack/MOSS · Z1EX · TR-Rack · Karma · D3200 · iM1 · iWavestation · iMono/Poly
Other Synths: Berhinger Deepmind 12 · iProphet · Moog Model D
Dearly departed: X3
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: M3, XS, and O1W Reply with quote

My advice would be to buy an XS6, and also buy an M3M. You'll have the best of both worlds if you go that rout. I love my XS, but an M3M is tempting, because it has a completely different sonic flavor than my XS, and the two would definitely complement each other. The M3 has more features than the XS, and the XS has more sounds than the M3, and it has sounds you won't find on the M3. If I wouldn't have already bought both a Tyros2 and an XS, I would have probably gotten the M3M, and one of the Yamahas. The M3 has some sampling features that I would have loved to have had on my XS, such as Loop Crossfade, and the ability to load more file formats. I probably wouldn't use KARMA regularly, but it would be fun to try it out. If you have both an XS6 and an M3M, you'll have a killer setup, and you'll end up with the ability to load a lot more samples than if you would have just bought one of them. The XS can take up to 1 GB of sample RAM, and I don't think the M3 can take that much. Just imagine though, if you had the two together. The M3M is just the M3 without the keys, so you can just sit it on the floor, or on a table. The XS6 is small in size for a workstation in my oppinion, so you would definitely be saving space there, and it appears that the XS6's keyboard is better than that on the M3-61. Good luck with your decision.
erikv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same problem; I could not choose between the XS and the M3 for my next upgrade in December. Then I also concluded that they are so different, and I decided I should get both the XS7 (including RAM) and the M3 61 including Exb radias and ram (I just don't like modules, as they don't have keys.. Cool

Then I realised that this package could buy me almost 90% of an Oasys where I live. So I now have an even harder choice to make, either go for the XS/M3 package or buy an Oasys.

The Oasys sound quality is superb and is not matched even by a combi of the XS/M3 imho. On the other hand the computer integration is a big plus on the XS/M3, and not that good on the Oasys. As the sequencer is not that good on the Oasys, I think I will still work with a computer DAW. If I go for the Oasys, I still would need a Midi/Audio interface "old-style". So in that case, I could better buy the M3/XS combi and have really tight computer integration.

If only the Oasys had good computer integration or at least an acceptable sequencer, my choice would be very easy, and I would buy an Oasys. Since there are no updates announced on these two subjects whatsoever, I am still having difficulty deciding on my next upgrade.. So here's my dilemma; I have the cash, but what to buy?
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a dilema, buy the Oasys. Wink I'm of the view that sound quality trumps everything. Sometimes I'll just sit & play a string patch on the Oasys, and as I listen to it, I think "damn, that sounds good!!".

When you listen to the tracks you've created, after the fact, you're not going to care about whether there was computer integration -- you're going to care about what the end result sounds like.

Also, keep in mind that an XS + M3 would likely have less sound variety. With that combo, you'll have sample playback + radias, as far as synth engines. With the Oasys, you'll have sample playback, AL1, MOD7, LAC-1, STR-1, CX-3, plus whatever they may release in the future.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erikv wrote:
I had exactly the same problem; I could not choose between the XS and the M3 for my next upgrade in December. Then I also concluded that they are so different, and I decided I should get both the XS7 (including RAM) and the M3 61 including Exb radias and ram (I just don't like modules, as they don't have keys.. Cool

Then I realised that this package could buy me almost 90% of an Oasys where I live. So I now have an even harder choice to make, either go for the XS/M3 package or buy an Oasys.

The Oasys sound quality is superb and is not matched even by a combi of the XS/M3 imho. On the other hand the computer integration is a big plus on the XS/M3, and not that good on the Oasys. As the sequencer is not that good on the Oasys, I think I will still work with a computer DAW. If I go for the Oasys, I still would need a Midi/Audio interface "old-style". So in that case, I could better buy the M3/XS combi and have really tight computer integration.

If only the Oasys had good computer integration or at least an acceptable sequencer, my choice would be very easy, and I would buy an Oasys. Since there are no updates announced on these two subjects whatsoever, I am still having difficulty deciding on my next upgrade.. So here's my dilemma; I have the cash, but what to buy?

The sequencer isn't great on the Oasys? Wow! I've never heard that before. The Oasys is one of the synths I'm considering buying in the future, and a good sequencer is a must. I don't really care about computer integration, because I've always used hardware, and I currently don't have a powerful enough CPU to run any DAW. I don't think I would need a DAW with the Oasys, because I think the Oasys already has one built in. So, what's wrong with the sequencer in the Oasys? Anybody?
FilmComposer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if anyone cares, I bought the XS6. For me, sound trumped useability. But I prefer orchestrial samples. The Oasis wasn't in the mix for two reasons:

1. $$$
2. When I buy electronic - I always go for the most current products.

Guitar Center was very agressive in their pricing and Yamaha threw in a bonus instructional DVD and sound disk. I guess I should be posting over at motifator but they will not let me sign up/in.

I hope I get as much out of this as I did my O1W.

At the store I was still playing with the M3 - I really like the keyboard, KARMA, isolated drums, master tempo, touch screen, and synth sounds. It was a tough choice.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erikv, if I were in your situation, I would buy a XS6 and an Oasys. What a killer combination! You'll have the great computer integration of the XS, and all the features of the Oasys. The XS also has some sounds that I haven't heard the Oasys come close to, such as the saxes, and the guitars.
KingJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FilmComposer wrote:
Well, if anyone cares, I bought the XS6. For me, sound trumped useability. But I prefer orchestrial samples. The Oasis wasn't in the mix for two reasons:

1. $$$
2. When I buy electronic - I always go for the most current products.

Guitar Center was very agressive in their pricing and Yamaha threw in a bonus instructional DVD and sound disk. I guess I should be posting over at motifator but they will not let me sign up/in.

I hope I get as much out of this as I did my O1W.

At the store I was still playing with the M3 - I really like the keyboard, KARMA, isolated drums, master tempo, touch screen, and synth sounds. It was a tough choice.

As long as you haven't been trolling on Motifator, you should have no problems signing in if you're registered there. You need to register first. This site and Motifator are not owned by the same company, so you have to register before you can sign in. If you have any more problems, you need to contact Keyfax, the people who run Motifator.
erikv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
Erikv, if I were in your situation, I would buy a XS6 and an Oasys. What a killer combination! You'll have the great computer integration of the XS, and all the features of the Oasys. The XS also has some sounds that I haven't heard the Oasys come close to, such as the saxes, and the guitars.

A really interesting thought, combining the XS6 and the Oasys, however this would be above my budget. So it is either and XS7/M3 or the Oasys. At the moment the Oasys has my preference and I will probably end up buying the Oasys anyway.

@Filmcomposer - I am considering whether I only should buy most current products as well. I am slightly worried Korg stops developing further updates for the Oasys on short notice (and e.g. introduce Oasys2). However, as I do not think this is very likely, and the Oasys is still well above either the M3 or XS (with regards to functionality, sound, analog modelling - which I think is not available on the XS), I think the Oasys will be the best option for me. Good luck with your XS!
Bubba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think synths have reached a plateau in a lot of ways. There's nothing that's really "cutting edge" new. Sequencers haven't changed all that much over the past few years. The only really big difference in the O's sequencer is the PPQ. And rumors have it that this will be a future upgrade for the O. Someone said recently on this forum that the M3 was like a toy compared to the Oasys. At the time I had my doubts. But last week I finally got to play one (three hours away from where I live). And I must say I think he's on to something. I had my heart set on an M-3. But now I'm trying to figure a way to come up with the $$$. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. No matter what happens concerning future products, the O will keep you satisfied for years to come. Smile
jazzman1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats funny the same thing happened to me. i got a good deal on a new ES and was looking to get something to replace my Classic Triton. I went to check out the M3 and Extreme. I had a problem with choosing between the two. One ( the Extreme) had more sounds than one could ask for to complement a workstation like the ES. It filled all the gaps. The other (M3) had advancements and upgrade potentual that would keep you busy for years to come. But looking over the room I saw an O in the middle of the floor. I knew I could'nt afford it but I had to touch it. I shouldnt have. I would have had a M3 or Extreme today if I would'nt have. For those of you who feel they are simular, we tried two differant O's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: