Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews for Korg M3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XVampireX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reviews for Korg M3 Reply with quote

Hi, as you know, I really want to get an Oasys, but it seems like that would be WAY too expensive for me to start with. So I'm actually deciding on the M3... At least as a good starting point. And my purchase will happen very soon now as I'm going to get a bank loan and a good friend of mine will help me pay for it.

Anyway, this topic is actually for those who already own a korg m3, and who used it extensively. Can anyone please write a review of their experience with m3 and how it sums up in terms of what they feel about the M3?

I'd really appreciate it if people could write some reviews for M3 Smile If you have a few other synths maybe you could also tell me its good sides and bad sides of the M3 in comparison to others?

Thanks.
Sergey Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no offense, but have you been reading posts here for the past 4 months ?
XVampireX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, only 1 month and a bit... hehe Smile I should read most likely but I mean can't someone sum it up? Very Happy or give me some pointers?

Thanks, again.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on peoples spare time

Search in ' General Synthesizers' section
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XVampireX wrote:
No, only 1 month and a bit... hehe Smile I should read most likely but I mean can't someone sum it up? Very Happy or give me some pointers?
Thanks, again.

Hmm, M3-M is "in tha house", finally Smile I'll write a detailed article/addition to my past M3-related articles next week after I get back from a business trip.
Meanwhile, download the manual and learn Wink

Cheers,
vEddY.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I made two phone calls today and we sold three M3's in less then an hour. M3-M, M3-73 and M3-61 are gone. Hmm. One guy travelled 400kms just to get it today. Hmm Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
XVampireX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I found in my local korg supplier that they have Korg M3, all 3 versions and that they sell it for pretty good price (I bet it's totally worth the price) and they said that I can come and even test it as they have it for testing too...

So guess what, during next month I'll have my korg M3 Smile

Or at least I'll try to, plans tend to fail.... maybe I'd get some other solid synth from korg, but we'll see about that Smile
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to add before I really start working on this big M3 article I'm preparing for next week, since xVampireX-man is so impatient Smile

Korg M3 is much more the type of synth of my personal liking as far as sound is concerned then the whole Triton series. Many of the sounds (and patch names) actually remind me of the Trinity. I've just been browsing around the soundlist for hours now and found some 50-60 usable sounds that could work for me out-of-the-box with no editing whatsoever, whereas with Triton series I had to spend hours to get the sound (and I would get it in the end).

Cheers,
vEddY.

Last edited by vEddY on Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... which actually begs the question - how much of the EXs3 samples have been used in M3, if any? Some of the sounds I hear here are just not what I hear from the OASYS.

Jerry? Dan? Stephen?
XVampireX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's what I have to tell you, I've been in the korg supplier store here in Israel, it's called Marom. Anyway... I'm quite glad that I know so much about Korg now, I know almost about every synth they have Smile

So anyway, I immediately recognized the M3 there, it was huge, it was sweet, it looked really good. Then I asked the synth manager there if I can test it, and to tell you the truth I liked the feel of the weighted keys more than I like the action keys of my old Yamaha PSR-75, at the very least, it feels like I have quite a bit more control over the sound I make.

Another thing that I noticed right away is the interface, it looks really sweet, responsive....

Now let me tell you about something, for anyone who really cares about sound quality, to be honest, youtube videos of M3 don't give it justice, at all... the quality of the M3 is pretty much 95% of the real instrument. Really that's all you need when you're just beginning.

Remember my question about what Karma is all about? Well guess what I looked into the most? Karma!!!!! Karma is beautiful, it's amazing, it makes musical phrases out of chords and notes, and you can change those phrases to feel like you want them to because it's real time. I liked the different settings that you can change your sound to be, for example resonance and filter cutoff, for example I used both settings to create a funny synthy sound out of a regular piano 4way piano Smile
Also the drum feature of karma is really great, it really allows you to jam with it, easily.

Really I can keep going on, but this thing is amazing... and what not, I'll have it within this month Smile WOOT!!!! Soon I'll be the proud owner of it Razz
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what took you so long ?
XVampireX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, welcome to the family? Smile

No seriously, I really fell in love with the M3, it's really a success for Korg I think. And fairly affordable actually for people who need a professional workstation.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" that this thing is amazing' ...

My comment was glib. Many or some of us bought into the M3 early on.

What did it for me was hearing a bootleg video on Google of Jack Hotop demoing the M3
pjblues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Very Pleased Reply with quote

I am not a good keyboard player but I can play this one and sound absolute great. This M3 plays itself. I can use basic chord stucture or use complex chording by assigning them to a pad. There is no other keyboard that I know of that could do this. The backing is fanominal.

I own a Fantom and I just bough the M3, both are great and I plan on keeping both. The M3 can just about do everything but the Fantom's recorder is better.

I know I don't have all the experience that some of you have but I am very pleased.

I am hoping through this forum I can learn to play alot better.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
.... which actually begs the question - how much of the EXs3 samples have been used in M3, if any? Some of the sounds I hear here are just not what I hear from the OASYS.

Jerry? Dan? Stephen?

Hi Veddy! I missed this one...

EXs3 (Brass and Woodwinds) in the M3? None. The ROM of the M3 was taken from the OASYS and edited down to fit. So we didn't add new samples so much. But we did edit/work on them a bit.

We started working on the new sampling sessions and editing for EXs3 after the release of the M3.

Regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: