Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe stupid topic: not so good feeling playing M3 sounds
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Maybe stupid topic: not so good feeling playing M3 sounds Reply with quote

Yes, maybe it's a stupid topic, but I want to hear/read the opinions of other forumers. I don't want to start a flame, please, only know other opinions.
Yesterday in store I've played a lot with the M3.. I was not very interested in Karma, rythms, patterns and things like this, I wanted to hear how good the M3 sounds to me. And I was not very impressed.. I didn't find the preset sounds inspiring or very good.. and I wasn't able to find, for example, classical lead sounds (like the ultraclassic one of "Lucky Man" of ELP).. sounds that are present in my much simpler Tr61 (as a preset I mean). Moreover, the M3 seemed to me to sound in general too "soft".
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I had to play the keyboard more, I don't know..
But after the M3 I've tried an old used Trinity (first version).. and suddenly I was very pleased by the sounds of the old workstation.

It's a matter of personal feeling with the instruments, the M3 was very attractive, I had the idea to buy it.. but after simply playing with it I decided to not, I can't enter in "symbiosis" with it.

Am I crazy? anyone with the same feeling with the new M3?
lcmorley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that when I first bought the M3, and got it home, and really played, I was also quite disappointed with it.

That said however, once you start messing around, and re-programming some of the sounds, the M3 sounds excellent. Better than the Tritons even. Especially when you have the Radias expansion installed. It seems that the Korg programmers have done a small bit of programming, and then left it to the users to complete it.

I had a Virus TI, and I would say that the Radias is almost as good. (Virus pips the post with it's Hypersaw).

Let me also say that I have not really been into programming much previously as I have been safe preset man. All I would say is, mess around with the programs a bit, and you may be suprised at the results.

I personally also think that some of the acoustic sounds are outstanding, especially with their dynamics, however, I will have to say though that I am not too impressed with the Piano's on it. But then I suppose if you want a good piano patch, then buy a piano. Smile

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, seems that the problem is the presets, not the machine itself Razz
I've demoed also the Radias, very amazing!
Unknown Sound

Location: On a small island just off the coast of an island not to far from Antarctica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are into using Presets only, then the M3 is good but not fantastic. if you are however into programming then the M3 is great with a huge scope waiting to be discovered.

You mentioned the Trinity...well that's another story! the Trinity is the best sounding Korg workstation ever! (the only exception perhaps being the OASYS).

_US.
Megakazbek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it should be mentioned, that in (some) other workstations not only you can get outstanding results programming your own sounds, but the factory presets are also of the same excellent quality.
korg_nikos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among other synths and arrangers I also own

Pa 80 (Ok it's an arranger but i 'm just mentioning that)
Trinity Plus
Triton Le
Triton Extreme with Moss

and i had the chance to have an M3 at home to try it out for 30 days before i buy it. I did not like it at all. (Ok Karma2 is good but i don't need that). I did like it's sounds but i strongly believe that it is actualy a downgrade from Extreme. Physical Modelling is very important to me but the M3 misses that. My opinion is that it's sounds are nowhere near Extreme and of course Trinity.

I am also talking about some user edited sounds and not necessary about it's presets. But again this is my opinion which may be subjective

Finally i returned it.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In search for an higher-end synth than my previous TR61, I've tried the M3 more.. than, amazed by its huge personalization possibilities.. I've bought it.
Trying it at my home with a very good pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD600) reveals a lot more of this instrument, which I begin to like a lot Smile
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. and after playing it for a while I must admit that this is one of the least-digital, most-analog sounding rompler/sampler I've tried.
It tends to be warm.. maybe a bit too warm when you can want more "snap", but I think this can be tweaked with self-programmed sounds.

The possibilities of personalize sounds and overall performance and the control surface seem infinite..
wuss88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: m3 VS older Korgs Reply with quote

Just a word to those who think the M3 is not a good synth compared to older Korg stuff.

Do an A/B test with an M3 and a Triton/Trinity/TR/X series/N series synth. Set the same levels etc. Set up a piano patch for example. Or a string. Or a Hammond patch. You'll be bloody surprised. The older ones wont even come close in terms of depth and thickness.

I mean, I had a Triton Extreme and got rid of it the day I heard the two things side by side (at Digital Village Romford). Sounded thin and plastic, even with the tube on. Sounded OK by itself, got lost in the mix soon as other stuff started happening.

The only things that come close in are the (surprise) M1 and the T-Series! (Still love my T3 however unreliable those microswitches are...)
jazzman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: m3 VS older Korgs Reply with quote

wuss88 wrote:
Just a word to those who think the M3 is not a good synth compared to older Korg stuff.

Do an A/B test with an M3 and a Triton/Trinity/TR/X series/N series synth. Set the same levels etc. Set up a piano patch for example. Or a string. Or a Hammond patch. You'll be bloody surprised. The older ones wont even come close in terms of depth and thickness.

I mean, I had a Triton Extreme and got rid of it the day I heard the two things side by side (at Digital Village Romford). Sounded thin and plastic, even with the tube on. Sounded OK by itself, got lost in the mix soon as other stuff started happening.

The only things that come close in are the (surprise) M1 and the T-Series! (Still love my T3 however unreliable those microswitches are...)

Are you saying, to you the M3 sounds fatter than lets say the M1,T3,and 01w series boards? I owned and still own the 01wfd, Triton and M1. The M3 I played is no were near the richness and fullness of my 01w. Cleaner,better samples maybe but, fat and fuller, no way.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. personally I've not compared side by side, but I think that the fatness of the M1 and T3 is something unic in the digital keyboard history..
Anyway, the M3 sounds warm enough and very refined to me
lcmorley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, I think one way to show the difference between the Triton and the M3 in the same unit would be to compare the "Stereo 4 Way Piano" with the "Stereo Concert Grand Piano". I think the latter was taken from the Triton series as it sounds very flat incomparison.

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
wuss88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnet basowy wrote:
.. personally I've not compared side by side, but I think that the fatness of the M1 and T3 is something unic in the digital keyboard history..
Anyway, the M3 sounds warm enough and very refined to me

I agree whole heardetly. They ROCK! Had an A/B with an M1 and a T3, and the T3 came out winner, sounded a bit louder (maybe half a dB) and a bit less muddy, maybe different converters or op amps at the output stage, who knows.

By the way, the Legacy Digital collection comes nowhere near to the originals in terms of the FAT PUNCHY BOTTOM END of the hardware ones. The rest is ok, maybe a tad too airy.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wuss88 wrote:

By the way, the Legacy Digital collection comes nowhere near to the originals in terms of the FAT PUNCHY BOTTOM END of the hardware ones. The rest is ok, maybe a tad too airy.

I think it's concerned with the quality of the D/A and amps of the audio card.. The audio outputs of the M1 and T3 was clearly very well engineered.
wuss88

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnet basowy wrote:

I think it's concerned with the quality of the D/A and amps of the audio card.. The audio outputs of the M1 and T3 was clearly very well engineered.

Ive got a really really good soundcard (TC Konnekt 24D) so thats not the issue... they should have included a physical model of the output stages!

Everyone whos familiar with stuff like this knows how a good op amp (?) can make a real difference in the sound...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: