Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 as MIDI controller for Moog Voyager RME

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: M3 as MIDI controller for Moog Voyager RME Reply with quote

I have a Minimoog Voyager Rack Mount Edition (a true analog synth).

Problem is, when I do wide pitch bends using my Novation X-Station as a MIDI controller, there's a lot of digital artifacting ("zipping"), especially with the higher notes.

My question is, has anyone used the M3 as a controller for an analog synth, and can it do smooth, wide (at least a full octave) pitch bends?

Thanks!
Voltan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any artifacts in the sound can be caused by a midi controller Rolling Eyes
After all - all the controlled module receives is a pitchbend command and I don't think it would be any different with a different controller Rolling Eyes
Gonga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the members at the Moog forum had the same problem with a CME controller and his minimoog, but he bought a Studiologic that doesn't have the problem. I don't want a Studiologic because I already have an Alesis QS8 with a weighted Fatar action.

Both my Alesis and Novation synths cause the stepping artifacts when I bend pitch more than a whole step. Incidentally, the Novation always sounds like that even when it is generating the virtual "analog" sound. Obviously, the Minimoog that ships with a keyboard and pitch bender doesn't sound this way, but then the pitch wheel is sending control voltages (I think) not MIDI messages.

Does anyone here actually control an analog with their Korg?
synthdogg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the relationship between the M3 and the Voyager, I haven't tried connecting the 2. I can confirm that I've experienced a lot of erratic behavior with the X-Station's Pitch-bender, controlling analog synths, soft synths, ROMplers, whatever.

I have controlled my own MIDI'd analogs from the M3, and haven't had any trouble with Pitch Bend messages.
Gonga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you synthdogg. You the man!

That's exactly what I needed to know. I'd love a Korg someday, and I'm sure the Moog will work fine with a synth like the M3.

I really like the Novation for the price. I've done amazing polyphonic stuff with it. But it does have its limitations. Two techies over at the Moog forum were talking shop about two reasons why it might be happening, but it was very technical stuff.

All I need to know is that the M3 will work, because I think it'd be a great controller and a great synth in general.

My understanding is that the wider the frequency range of the bend, the more apparant the artifacts are with cheap pitch wheel electronics. I play with a Jan Hammer sort of style, so I always have the joystick set for a minor third in each direction. But I'd love to set up a custom sort of "whammy bar" controller to drop the pitch a couple octaves with the ring finger of my left hand! Wink
synthdogg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Gonga, I hope it works out for you. For the record, I really like the X-station too. It's a very hip little controller that does a heckuva lot for not-so-much money....but the trade-off for keeping it affordable is cheaper build quality. I would still recommend it, though!
Sofine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send Karma out to my Moog Little Phatty using the M3 and have experienced NO problems, other than wondering where all the time has gone!
Gonga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Thanks Sofine!

According to the guys over at the Moog forum, the problem is with the rate at which midi data is sent. Note on/off messages are easy...but with pitch bend and mod, data must stream continuously. With the Novation, and other cheap synths, the rate is so low that the result is audible stepping. The wider the interval, the higher the pitch, and the faster the bend, the more audible the artifacts are. As I said, the X-Station's own synth engine produces the same zipping effect when bending pitch as the minimoog does when controlled by it. And I can assure you, it ain't the Moog causing the problem! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: