Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Wavestation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Korg Wavestation Reply with quote

The only thing I know for sure about the Wavestation, is that it could do wave sequencing. What I would like to know, is: How much sample memory could it hold? Was it possible to do wave sweeps with the joystick, or other controlers? What other features did the Wavestation have? Was the MIDI interface any good? How much would a Wavestation cost on the used market? Thanks!
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Wavestation Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
What I would like to know, is: How much sample memory could it hold?

Don't recall the Wavestation being able to sample, but the original model came with a whopping 2MB of on-board sample ROM.

It did offer vector synthesis......and you can step through and cross-fade between waveforms with the joystick.
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm gonna say is if you want lush pads, this is a great board. I love the pads on the wavestation.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent pads.......stunning wave sequencing, and some of the best ethereal sounds I've heard. Almost like a poor man's Synclavier.

Sounds Good
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a lot about the Wavestation, even seen it in action... i'm still not quite sure what it's all about, what makes it different from other synthesizers from that time? I remember it having a great piano sound, and that funky looking joystick on it (yet it had pitch and mod wheels instead of the conventional Korg XY joystick).
EVPS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Wavestation, and it is a great synth for pads, which the presets amply show. I also got a PCM card which added some really interesting Piano sounds (mixed with pad like textures these can sound great). I've also managed to program some great lead sounds, using Wavesequences to bring in feedback-style frequencies over time. Its a really good synth, the midi situation is fine, its probably not as fully featured as a workstation but its fine. As with most synths the best of what it has to offer can be found through learning to program it.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Wavestation...VST. It is pretty cool. Have only used it a few times though. Did someone say great pads?! Laughing

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
EVPS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did someone say great pads?!

Haha yup its certainly a pad monster....

I heard the VST comes with all the expansion card sounds too? Must be nice to work on a big mouse click-able interface!

I paid 200 GBP for the original non-EX version of the Wavestation, its got a nice keybed (not a trinity or z1, closer to the M1 really) its easy to program new sounds, and it uses a 4 Oscillator layout, but when you bring wave sequences into the equation it can feel like a much more complex arrangement..... now if only it made my tea for me.....
vectorman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 Years after it hit the market, I still think it's a fantastic synth and use it all the time (I have the VST, as well as an EX keyboard and A/D module). It was a big deal when it came out, being sort of a hybridization of concepts from the PPG Wave and the Prophet VS, while being more than the "sum of its parts" and being able to do a number of things that neither the PPG nor the VS could do.

I daresay a lot of people who have done nothing more than flick through the presets and haven't delved into creating their own patches and wave sequences don't get just how much you can do with it. The vocoder alone (which is also present on the VST, even though you can't route external audio into the plugin version) is a cool resource for modulating one patch with the output of another to generate some "out there" textures. I had kind of overlooked that for years and only recently started playing with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: