Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KLC Dongle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markotronic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: KLC Dongle Reply with quote

I have purchased a new MacBook so therefore i have to update to KLC-1 v1.2.2 with the USB dongle.

I am not a big fan of dongles but i am a legititmate customer of Korg and bought the KLC-1 legally from an authorised dealer. However i would like to use a dongle emulator so to do away with the dongle and get back the USB port i would be losing.

Am i correct in thinking this is technically illegal even though i bought the product.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, yes, circumventing copy protection, reverse engineering or using cracks is illegal, even if you own a valid license to the product.

Secondly, there is no such thing as a dongle emulator on the Mac - the Syncrosoft protection employed by Korg and other companies is uncracked on the Mac platform, and recent versions I believe are also uncracked on the PC platform.

Using the dongle is your only solution for recent dongle-ized versions of the software.
markotronic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i purchase a dongle and go through the relevant avenues to get the correct legal verification of the software can i back up my dongle in case i lose it.

so a dongle emulator is illegal or do you get legal ones. i have never used a dongle before so i am unsure how they work really.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markotronic wrote:
If i purchase a dongle and go through the relevant avenues to get the correct legal verification of the software can i back up my dongle in case i lose it.

so a dongle emulator is illegal or do you get legal ones. i have never used a dongle before so i am unsure how they work really.

Unfortunately you can not "back up" your licenses (with USB dongle protection devices like PACE iLok or Syncrosoft eLicenser [Syncrosoft is the one used by Korg]). The licenses physically reside on the USB key itself. If you lose the USB Key, Korg will not give you a new license.

You need to check with your insurance company about loss of the USB key/dongle, since you would need to buy the product again if you lose the dongle.

Regarding emulators or cracks, all of these are illegal, and no emulator or crack even exists for the Korg Legacy Collection current version.

The way these USB protection devices work is:
-- the software license is physically installed on the USB Key (either installed by the manufacturer or you)
-- the software ONLY runs when the USB Key is inserted
-- a single key can hold multiple licenses (the Syncrosoft USB key can hold up to 99 licenses from different manufacturers)

If you are concerned about losing the USB port, I would suggest getting a USB Hub, which depending on the product, normally has 4-7 USB ports. On my desktop computer, I have a 4-port USB hub that holds my Syncrosoft USB dongle, digital camera cable, and USB scanner cable.
Francois
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can backup your licences but only with iLok, not with syncrosoft. iLok offer a service for $30 a year if memory serves me right, whereby you can retrieve your licences in case your Dongle goes bad or gets stolen. I asked syncrosoft about this but they said it was not on the cards.
markotronic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mighty helpful. as i said never used a dongle before so didnt really know what to expect from them.

I used to have a pc and have recently moved to mac. I installed KLC-1 v.1.1.10 and it worked fine as standalone but would not within ableton live v6.

Am i correct in thinking i will need the USB dongle version for it too work within ableton live as an AU?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markotronic wrote:
Am i correct in thinking i will need the USB dongle version for it too work within ableton live as an AU?

Version 1.2 and greater of the KLC-1 software does require the use of a Syncrosoft USB dongle.

All versions of KLC-DE also require the use of a Syncrosoft USB dongle.

These are required for the software to run, regardless of whether running in standalone or as a plug-in.
markotronic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where i get confused now. As i said i installed KLC-1 v1.1.10 and that works as a standalone without the USB dongle.

As i have an intel based mac this makes me think that v1.1.10 is UB but however it will not work as an AU on the Intel mac.

The info given on korg user website is not very clear on this matter.

Any thoughts?
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original, older versions of the Legacy Collection did not use Syncrosoft protection.

All current versions of both Legacy collections do now use the Syncrosoft dongle.

Any version you buy new will use the dongle. Versions below something like 1.2 are not Universal Binary versions, and hence the AU will not show up in UB hosts (which is what you see with your non-UB 1.1.10 version)

To use the Legacy collection on an Intel Mac, you will need a recent, dongle-ised version of the Legacy collection.
markotronic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben

I was under the impression that if the v1.1.10 is not UB then it would not work on an Intel mac. For some reason though i installed v1.1.10 with the challenge/response method of verification and it worked as standalone.

this is my main point of confusion as if it works as a standalone on a UB mac then surely it would work in a UB version of ableton but i agree with you this may be where the problem lies.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

It will work as a standalone, because the computer runs it (transparently) under Rosetta emulation (ie, it runs the PPC code emulated, ie about ten times slower than native Intel code).

However, a PPC plugin won't show up in a UB application, because OSX will only present Intel plugins running in an intel host. PPC only plugins will not be available.

Now, you could also run your host under Rosetta, and any PPC plugins *will* now show up, but it's like driving a car while simulataneously pressing the brakes - you're going much slower than the engine's power output would suggest.

The correct and proper solution if you are running on an Intel Mac is to run Intel code - therefore, you'll need UB versions of your host and plugins - anything else will cause issues, unexpected crashed, and/or dreadful performance.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Korg User Net FAQ for Legacy Collection users:
http://www.korguser.net/shop/software/support/faq.asp

http://www.korguser.net/shop/software/support/faq.asp?faq=1#10
Quote:

Question Q10: What is required in order to use KORG Legacy Collection (KLC-1) on an Intel Mac?
Answer A10: Intel Macs are supported in KLC-1 v1.2.1. This is one version up from v1.2.0. After purchasing v1.2, the upgrade to v1.2.1 is free of charge from the "DOWNLOADS for registered users" located at KORG USER NET. The process for this is outlined in "Q7".

Therefore:
-- you have to switch from "Challenge/response codes" to Syncrosoft dongle protection for version 1.2, and then update to version 1.2.1 which is the MacUB version.

As Ben mentioned, the only way you are able to get partial success on a MacIntel running v1.1 is the MacOS is running the software using Rosetta emulation mode (poor performance).
markotronic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

its been a bit of nightmare trying to get this sorted and understand exactly the correct reasons to upgrade to the dongle and get the correct version installed of KLC-1.

I have spoke to Korg support in the UK and they didnt know how i was running v1.1.10 on my Intel mac but what you have said sounds correct.
Ben Hall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forumula is simple - if you have an Intel Mac, you *need* Universal Binary versions of all the plugins you want to use.
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markotronic wrote:
Thanks guys.

its been a bit of nightmare trying to get this sorted and understand exactly the correct reasons to upgrade to the dongle and get the correct version installed of KLC-1.

With the original KLC-1, Korg DID create a confusing situation with the product by first using Challenge/Response authorization when the product came out then switching mid-stream to the Syncrosoft USB dongle.

The reason was software piracy. The original KLC-1 software was cracked within weeks of its release. The current KLC-1 v1.2 and KLC-AE that use a Syncrosoft dongle have never been cracked.

Just FYI, the KLC-DE product is simpler in that it used the Syncrosoft dongle from the start. Therefore, Korg ships the KLC-DE product with a dongle in the retail box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Legacy Collection All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: