Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radias: Footswitch to switch arp on/off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klangsulfat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Radias: Footswitch to switch arp on/off Reply with quote

To switch the arp on/off remotely I assigned the footswitch to the arp button. Sometimes it works as expected, sometimes I have to push the footswitch twice to change the status of the arp button. I'm not sure, but this behaviour could be patch dependent. Switch polarity setting is correct. I also tried another foot switch - same game. Any ideas how to solve this problem?
Hellrider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading you posting I checked this out with my Radias and the Korg PS-1 foot switch.
Unfortunately I got the same result as you. Shocked

Cheers
Frank
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's what I figured out:

If you don't change programs, the switch works just fine. I tried both latch mode (where it toggles on and off every time you hit the switch) and unlatch (arp is on when switch is depressed).

Change programs, then things get funny. Example: in one program the arp is normally off. I turn it on with the switch (latch mode) and then change programs. When I return to the first program, the arp light was off (default for that program). The first press of the pedal did nothing, the second time I hit the pedal, the arp light came on.

So it seems that the Radias "remembers" the latched pedal state. If the arp is in the opposite state (off when the pedal is on, or vice versa) when you select a patch, you'll have to hit it twice.

Solution: whenever you select a new program, hit the pedal until you get the arp state that you want, then you are good to go.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these momentary switches you are using???
or are these on / off switches ???
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can program the switch mode to be unlatched (in which case a momentary switch acts normally) or latched (in which case a momentary switch acts as a toggle). Using a latched footswitch, you would want to always use unlatched mode. You can also choose polarity of the switch.

In latched mode, the Radias remembers if the switch was last on or off...this is global so is remembered across program changes.

If the latched state is on and you choose a new program where the arp is currently off, it takes two presses of the switch to turn the arp on. The first toggles from on to off, but the arp is already off. The second toggles it on.

The same thing happens if the last state was off and the new program has the arp on, the first press goes from off to on, but the arp is already on. The second press turns it off.

So the worst case is you may have to press the footswitch twice the first time you want to change the arp state after switching to a new program. After that single presses will work fine until you change programs again.
klangsulfat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meatballfulton wrote:
So the worst case is you may have to press the footswitch twice the first time you want to change the arp state after switching to a new program. After that single presses will work fine until you change programs again.
It's annoying while a live situation and smells like a bug Sad Anyway, thank you for clarification.
slammah2012

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meatballfulton wrote:
You can program the switch mode to be unlatched (in which case a momentary switch acts normally) or latched (in which case a momentary switch acts as a toggle). Using a latched footswitch, you would want to always use unlatched mode. You can also choose polarity of the switch.

In latched mode, the Radias remembers if the switch was last on or off...this is global so is remembered across program changes.

If the latched state is on and you choose a new program where the arp is currently off, it takes two presses of the switch to turn the arp on. The first toggles from on to off, but the arp is already off. The second toggles it on.

The same thing happens if the last state was off and the new program has the arp on, the first press goes from off to on, but the arp is already on. The second press turns it off.

That is what I was asking.....which type of manual switches were being used....
and being momentary, if it was NormallyClosed or Normally Open........
My experiment with NC, set to the wrong polarity gives 1 pedal motion to start the Sequencer on all programs, however, the first trigger is on release of the pedale....you change the program ... step on the pedal... release it to start the sequencer....I have used the release of switch for punching in and out tracks in the studio for years..... It actually seems more accurate in timing, than pedal down to punch in....(loss of mechanical contact may be easier to detect than contact???) who knows...
That is my work around.... try it..... Yamaha and Roland use NC switches....Korg Alesis and Ensoniq use NO.....
Currently running, Hammond M3, Yamaha CS80 + MM6, Roland JX-3P + Mkb 1000 + Vk7 + D110, Alesis Quadrasynth plus, Haken Continuum fingerboard, Korg Radias + Lambda, Ensoniq SQ80, Waldorf Blofeld, Creamware Prodyssey + B4000, Use Audio Plugiator, Arp Axxe ....and some soft synths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: