Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 and Radias LFOs, better than those on Motif XS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: M3 and Radias LFOs, better than those on Motif XS? Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha Motif XS6, and it's a great synth, but a major weakness of that synth is that it's LFOs are not very good at all. At the fastest speads, the LFOS on the Motif XS aren't even 50 HZ. However, those on the Korg Oasys are mindblowing. How are the LFOs on the M3, and on the Radias EXB, compared to the Yamaha Motif XS, and the Korg Oasys? Are they any better than those on the XS? If so, I may end up adding an M3M to my setup.
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm LFO means Low Freq Oscillator... and I'm sure you know this... so why you're trying to turn a LFO into an HFO High Freq Osc? if you listen to a any osc at more than 50 HZ you'll hear a sound instead of an oscillation... Confused
regards, Lorenzo
JoshRDA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
mmm LFO means Low Freq Oscillator... and I'm sure you know this... so why you're trying to turn a LFO into an HFO High Freq Osc? if you listen to a any osc at more than 50 HZ you'll hear a sound instead of an oscillation... Confused
regards, Lorenzo

Yep. The common term is "audio-rate" oscillation. Wink

Kronos 61 #1809
Kurzweil PC3x
MPC1000
KingJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo wrote:
regards, Lorenzo

The new Prophet 08, and the Korg Oasys, both have LFOs that can go into the audio ranges. Audio range LFOs allow you to achieve things like FM, polyphonic ring modulation, and filter FM. An LFO below 50 HZ is completely useless for these purposes. I was hoping that at least the Radias expansion for the M3 would have audio range LFOs. Well, I guess not.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
The new Prophet 08, and the Korg Oasys, both have LFOs that can go into the audio ranges. Audio range LFOs allow you to achieve things like FM, polyphonic ring modulation, and filter FM. An LFO below 50 HZ is completely useless for these purposes. I was hoping that at least the Radias expansion for the M3 would have audio range LFOs. Well, I guess not.

The Oasys doesn't have audio rate LFOs. However with MOD-7 you can use an operator as an audio rate LFO, but of course it already provides other way to each audio rate modulation for FM and ringmod etc. The same could be said of the FM and ringmod facilities in the AL-1 EXi. The MS20EX is the only Oasys EXi that allows you to modulate the filters using an audio rate mod source, by attaching an oscillator output to the Filter modulation points in the patching area.

The Radias also has VPM, cross mod and ringmod etc. but no audio rate modulation of the filters.

Maybe you'd like the upcoming Waldorf Blofeld ... I am pretty sure it will inherit the very funky arrangements from the microQ/Q in this regard.

Daz.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:

Maybe you'd like the upcoming Waldorf Blofeld ... I am pretty sure it will inherit the very funky arrangements from the microQ/Q in this regard.

It does indeed.

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/en/products/blofeld/blofeld_sound_generation

p.s. the M3 LFOs can be used to modulate far more targets than the XS's element LFOs (just pitch, amp, cutoff) and offer far more options in terms of shapes and also modulation of their rates etc.
rbox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
KingJ wrote:

The Oasys doesn't have audio rate LFOs.
Daz.

This is only the half story when you use the Ams-mixer you can change the Offset to bring the Lfo's into the Audio range for all Exi's.
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the AMS mixers in Offset mode simply shifted the zero point of the LFO or changed the amplitude ... maybe you're thinking of something else ? Different AMS mode ?

Daz.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingJ wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:
regards, Lorenzo

The M3 Radias board's LFOs go from .01 Hz to 100 Hz. Also, the lowest note on a piano is 27.5 Hz so the 20s should still be considered audio range, technically speaking.

Busch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: