Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A new synthesizer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziiiiii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: A new synthesizer Reply with quote

Hi there!

I've been looking for a vintage analog synthesizer for a month but I realized that it is better to buy a new modern synthesizer since nowadays it is possible to obtain a good analog sound. Well I have a triton extreme workstation (with digital synthesizer) but it is rather complicated to play on stage. I am now looking for a professional synthesizer with several knobs etc.. I guess radias, r3 and microkorg are the lead synthesizers, would you recommend me one of them or at least tell me which one is more professional and useful? I am now playing in a Pink Floyd Tribute band and I really need good, exceptional sounds.

Thanks
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Z.,

What's your budget ? Also what aspects of the Triton were you finding complicated to play on stage, so we might recommend something that works differently/more easily in that regard ?

The Radias is a great lead synth, but you might also want to look at the Clavia Nord Lead 2X (www.clavia.se), Virus TI (www.accessmusic.de), and Roland SH-201 (www.rolandus.com) too.

Daz.
ziiiiii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz wrote:
Hey Z.,

What's your budget ? Also what aspects of the Triton were you finding complicated to play on stage, so we might recommend something that works differently/more easily in that regard ?

The Radias is a great lead synth, but you might also want to look at the Clavia Nord Lead 2X (www.clavia.se), Virus TI (www.accessmusic.de), and Roland SH-201 (www.rolandus.com) too.

Daz.

Well in Turkey the instruments are sold nearly for a doubled price when compared to USA. Therefore, I can not afford for a prophet 5 or minimoog. I guess I can spend around 1500 dolars. I have senn Nord Lead and Roladn SH-201 but SH-201 doesn'T seem to be professional. It is rather practical to be used on stage. I have not tried Virus TI but I know that it'S expensive. This is same for Nord Lead I guess.
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also recommend the Moog Little Phatty, The Alesis ION and/or The Alesis Micron. If you want something really unique and something I absolutely love, check out the Roland V-Synth.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:
The Alesis ION and/or The Alesis Micron.

Both very inexpensive. Smile
chinard
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pink floyd primarily used EMS Synthi and moog stuff which is going to cost you a fortune if you are going for an authentic sound.
There are a number of VA synths out there that will get you pretty damn close thos

Ion and micron are great synths. Defintely the most analog sounding VA's out there.
Micron is a pit of a pain to use as it has a horrible interface which is why most people favour the ion cause it has knobs for everything you would ever need.
The sound is the most analog of any of the VA's ive worked with, the only drawback is that it doesnt have many effects.

Virus is usualy a safe bet for most people in the VA department. Lots of effects, good sound, easy to use.
Older virus'es can be found for pretty cheap on ebay and they sound just as good as the modern counterparts just with alot less features.

Radias also has a really good sound to it, but many people say that it sounds very sharp and digital.
One of the more interesting features on the radias is all the modulation sequencers it has.
If you were trying to recreate some of their more experemental synth sounds like 'on the run', i'd check out a synth like this or even look at a Nord G2 for that matter.

The nord G2 is also an exceptional synth, but it is pricey and the programming is extremely advanced. Not easy unless you have a good understanding of modular, subtractive, additive, and FM synthesis. Once you get a handle on the programming tho it is one of the most powerful and expressive keyboards ive ever worked with on stage.

And if you want a modern analog you could check out would be some of the dave smith stuff like the prophet 8 or the poly evolver or even the moog LP.
One caution with the moog stuff is that it is very expensive and monophonic. but holy crap does it stand out.
ziiiiii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, espicially you Chanard, for your reply. I will consider your opinions and buy a new synth according to that .)
ziiiiii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

Well, I was looking for a new synthesizer to obtain "moogy" sounds but I guess I will buy Moog little phatty the tribute model.

However still I am not sure if I should buy Alesis ION or the phatty. Since my triton also serves as a synthesizer, phatty is the best choice but it is monophonic and does not have arpeggiators. And you all mentioned that Alesis also has a moogy sound, including the arpeggiator programs and its polyphonic charecteristic, therefore, I sometimes think that Alesis would be more useful than Little Phatty.

I would like to hear your opinions about this issue.

Thanks and happy new year!
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinard wrote:
Radias also has a really good sound to it, but many people say that it sounds very sharp and digital.

Based on my experience with the R3, I can safely say that it is only as sharp and digital sounding as I want it to be. I can also make it as smooth and analog sounding as I want it to be. I suspect that the Radias and R3 may be suffering from the opinion of people who are judging "how it sounds" based on the factory presets, not on how the engine actually sounds when you create the voice yourself. Call me crazy, but a sine wave on an R3 sounds remarkably like a sine wave, from subsonic till only the dogs can hear it.

Regardless, I think the R3 and Radias are worth evaluating based on their own merits. I bought the R3 because I got it cheap ($415) and the vocoder alone was worth the price, but I haven't been disappointed by its sound or capability for the programs I've built. The factory presets are what they are - I like some, don't like some, hate a few, love a few. I keep what I like and love, while the rest become open spots for my own stuff. The Radias engine definitely has more features, and the Radias Rack can be found at a pretty good price too.
bkboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are hearing a smoother sound (instead of harsh and digital) because you are having an R3...R3 DOES sound smoother and warmer than the radias!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziiiiii wrote:
Hi again!

Well, I was looking for a new synthesizer to obtain "moogy" sounds but I guess I will buy Moog little phatty the tribute model.

However still I am not sure if I should buy Alesis ION or the phatty. Since my triton also serves as a synthesizer, phatty is the best choice but it is monophonic and does not have arpeggiators. And you all mentioned that Alesis also has a moogy sound, including the arpeggiator programs and its polyphonic charecteristic, therefore, I sometimes think that Alesis would be more useful than Little Phatty.

I would like to hear your opinions about this issue.

Thanks and happy new year!

If you want that Moog sound then why settle for imitations the LP is not much more to buy new than a secondhand Ion,ok its gonna cost you a little more but your actually getting an authetic Moog sound not a copy,you can more than easily hook it up to the triton to trigger Arpeggios on it
If you can get by with the Monophonic downside you won't be dissapointed I have a LP and can say its pretty awesome,I've never had a Moog before but think this synth is superb,farily versatile and easy to use,and Fun,I've got plenty of other VA synths that replicate the Moog sound but they don't have a patch on the Little Phatty

The Alesis Ion is a good buy and many people rate it,its really up to what you want and how much your Budget is
adamitron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is the Radias, but there is a preset patch on it that is totally a pink floyd part. it's even called dark side.
TrrP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkboy wrote:
you are hearing a smoother sound (instead of harsh and digital) because you are having an R3...R3 DOES sound smoother and warmer than the radias!

Is this really true?

I thought they had exactly the same engine apart from the R3 small limtations and less poly, parts & effects.
teuf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about Creamware ASB's synths ?

Minimax is very nice !!

Teuf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: