Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A New "RiotNrrd" Piece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: A New "RiotNrrd" Piece Reply with quote

In The Space Between

I've been working on this piece since November (although not every day, of course). I've heard it approximately a million times by now and am thoroughly sick of it. Smile Although the last half was done in just the last day or so, so I'm not quite as sick of that part.

It's completely Reason 4.0, with special emphasis on the new "Thor" module. Something of a "stomping" piece, as far as that goes. Everything sounds better loud, so crank it up!
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always excellent.....Great sounds......Great sculpting. I enjoy all of your pieces. It is better if you turn it up enough to rattle the dishes. Thanks Scott!
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I did notice that I had a measure or two of "extra" junk at the end, which has now been trimmed. I didn't notice it when previewing the piece after rendering it because I had looping set to "on" in my media player and the end of the piece is much like the beginning, and...

Anyway, the junk at the end is now gone. Smile
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man!!! It's been a while since I enjoyed your music.
This has great power, and the instrumentation is way cool.
I enjoyed this very much, nicely done.
Sounds Good
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your comments! Glad to hear you like the piece!

Although I worked on various pieces throughout 2007, I actually only ever finished "Urban", so 2007 turned out to be a one-piece year. Technically, the bulk of this piece was also written during 2007, but wasn't released until 2008, so I count it as a piece for this year rather than last. Hopefully I'll be able to add a few more to the 2008 list than I did to the 2007.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I love this, big full sound and really fun and electro. This sort of thing plays just fine without vocals as it's so vibrant and moving. You should join up with our OSAM and really push yourself. This stuff is fantastic. Sounds like the sort of CDs I still buy (believe it or not).

by the way, we're bending the rules for one already who can only do one song every other month. How hard can that be?
album cover
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, George! I definitely was going for something with a lot of oomph at the lower frequencies, and do think this one worked out well. It could probably do with another mastering work-through, but meh. Once I'm done with a piece, I'm done with it.

I just can't do the OSAM, as much as I would like to. Just not enough time, and I know I'd end up punking out and not completing, some months. But I appreciate the invite! Smile
dreamaiden

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Riot !

I stopped in just to see what you had been up to and found this piece. It's just my opinion of course but I think it's the best piece you've done to date on every count. I simply love it. I agree with George that a CD of this style would be awesome. Keep up the great work! I'm impressed. Smile

Cheers,
Susan
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 4 Reason to tell that it's a great piece!!! Cool
Guys, you and your Reason 4 really rock!
I'm not into electronic music, but I can see that tune going on a lot of Hollywood action movies: it's simply great!

Hope to have the opportunity to listen to a complete cd from you...
and I hope to learn your secret in the future!

really well done!

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks, Susan and Diego!

I hadn't checked this part of the forum in a little while, and was surprised to see some new comments (usually after a couple of weeks, these posts start to descend to a more sedimentary level as new material accretes over the top).

Y'know, I really should remaster this. I tried a few new things with this piece:

Exported to 24 bit instead of my usual 16.
Used a new wav to mp3 converter that actually didn't give me ANY choice of settings.

The original in-Reason piece has a lot more overtones and harmonics going on that I think the 24 bit to 16 bit conversion dithered away, and then had another layer of dullness added to it with the mp3 conversion. The original is... sharper, I guess, with a lot more low-end goodness going on than is evident in the mp3.

So if you think it's good now (comments for which I am greatly appreciative), you should hear it in the original. I'll see if I can jiggle things around to try to get it close to that.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Riot, for me should be a great pleasure to host on my webserver the 48 KHz / 24 bit version (in WAV or AIFF) of your tunes.
If you are interested, PM me so you can email the file and I'll upload to my webspace available for other users interested to hear the difference.

once again, big compliments for your work.
seriously, try to keep togheter a brief demo and send it to some scoring company, you should have interesting responses IMHO.

regards

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Riot,

Dude - been a looong time - since I've heard your tunes!

Inspiring - big time - I've listened to this a few times now - each time I hear things missed previously - this is a good thing - means the arrangement rocks!

Will you post the higher audio Q version?

Cheers,

={> Art
RiotNrrd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get a better version up sometime this weekend. The more I listen to the mp3 version, the more dissatisfied I get with it, because (in my opinion) the original has a richer sound. There are a bunch of things I want to do to see if I can't get the mp3 sounding closer to how I think it should sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Promote Your Music Online All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: