Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X50, find a clock sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim_L

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: X50, find a clock sound Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a clock ticking sound (preferably in stereo where the ticks alternate/pan between L & R). Can the X50 do this?

I've also got the sound list printed out and am looking at the multisamples list of sounds but don't know how to access them.

My experience with piano/synths is limited to turning it on and hitting the white & black keys until I find something that sounds good in the combi & prog presets.

It takes me hours if not days to find/play the simplest chords (creating original stuff for my own tunes, the keys start to blur after a few minutes trying to maintain my concentration while trying to remember where to put my fingers).

I am NOT a keyboard player...;>)

I've looked through the manual but there's nothing there that explains how to access these sounds who's listed numbers go way past the usual preset 124 count.

Thanks for any help.

-Jim
asdasd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well I didn't understand that very well... as for clock sound, what kind of clock sound do you need?
Jim_L

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, probably my back pain meds...;>)
I'm trying to find a clock ticking sound in stereo to record onto 2 tracks w/one tic on the left & the other on the right. I could just use a drum machine but I don't have one so I was hoping to find the sound in the synth.

As for the other request about the multisamples, how do you access them? The 'voice name list' i have of the sounds shows the listing numbers go up into the 400's for these sounds such as car crash (397), dog (381), etc...
There's nothing I can find in the manual to get to these sounds.
-jim
Voltan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim_L wrote:
As for the other request about the multisamples, how do you access them? The 'voice name list' i have of the sounds shows the listing numbers go up into the 400's for these sounds such as car crash (397), dog (381), etc...
There's nothing I can find in the manual to get to these sounds.
-jim

I'm going to assume it's the same as on Triton LE (it most likely is, 'cause it's the same engine and if it isn't - it's probably kinda similar) Wink
Pick a program (program mode), hit menu and choose the "basic" page and then OSC1 or OSC2 tab. That's where you select a multisample for the program. Focus on the multisample name/number and hit "category" for easier browsing.
You might wanna use an empty program for auditioning the multisamples (so they don't get affected by any effects and don't mix with another multisample on the other OSC).
However, there's no clock sample on my LE.
asdasd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah well I don't really know how to program a clock sound, but you can easily make it happen in stereo by A) Using PAN delay or B) using two clock samples in combi settig zones for them and pan them.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take any percussive instrument, xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, glockenspiel, etc. and then just change the amp envelope to have a quick decay and sustain with an immediate release. Then use two notes, a higher one for tick and a lower one for tock. To simulate the works of inside of a clock case, add a very tiny amount of reverb to and adjust the high pass filter to get rid of the highest frequencies, dull the sound a bit.
Voltan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmlguy wrote:
adjust the high pass filter to get rid of the highest frequencies, dull the sound a bit.

a hight pass filter actually gets rid of lowest freqs, "letting the high ones pass"
Wink you meant lowpass
apart from that it might be a good idea
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltan wrote:
xmlguy wrote:
adjust the high pass filter to get rid of the highest frequencies, dull the sound a bit.

a hight pass filter actually gets rid of lowest freqs, "letting the high ones pass"
Wink you meant lowpass
apart from that it might be a good idea

Thanks for the catch. Yes, I meant low pass to cutoff the high freqs. Or use an EQ to cut the highs. It might be good to play with the mid frequencies to simulate the natural resonance of a wooden clock case. Clocks sound hollow.
Jim_L

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, i'll have to play around with it as i'm not really understanding all your 'programming language' but I'll give it a try. I'm a guitar player who just plunks on the B & W keys (which start to blur together after a minute of playing) and the only technical bit i've figured out on the 50 was to get the ARP to turn off.

Which reminds me, i've got to write the notes on the keys someday to figure out what they are...;>)
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSR_envelope

Shelving Filters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EQ_filter

Whenever you are trying to create a sound, you need to be thinking in terms of timbre, which are the characteristics of the sound in different aspects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre

Synthesizers give you the tools to alter the timbre, but you have to learn the nature of sound and how these tools modify it to get the result you want, just as a finish carpenter needs to learn all the different forms of wood and how to use his tools to craft a finished work. Until you do this, your use of the sythesizer will be limited to its built-in programs or what you can download from other people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: