Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 vs Fantom G6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeinbalance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: M3 vs Fantom G6 Reply with quote

Any thoughts on how the M3 compares to the new Fantom G?
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=920&ParentId=72

I need to decide on which workstation to go with.
Any input would be helpful and thanks for your time.
cheers
steve
http://lifeinbalancemusic.com
http://myspace.com/soundhealer
http://cdbaby.com/cd/lifeinbalance
Boynton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a question which has been asked thousands of times on probably hundreds of forums. "Should I buy synth A or synth B?" Of course there is no answer. Or there is one answer: Buy the one you like the best, and which will most suit your needs. How can anyone answer that but you?

However in comparing Fantom-G to Korg M3, note that the M3 can be purchased now. The Fantom-G might not show up until late summer of this year. That can make a difference. Otherwise, do your homework and make an informed decision.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boynton wrote:

However in comparing Fantom-G to Korg M3, note that the M3 can be purchased now. The Fantom-G might not show up until late summer of this year. That can make a difference. Otherwise, do your homework and make an informed decision.

Yeah, but well - the same thing happened with M3 last year. And a lot of people waited and bought it later. Judging only (yeah, a bit idiotic) by serial numbers that I saw in various stores all over the world, I'd say that M3 is doing pretty well. Perhaps so far it wasn't doing as good as the Triton, but that's also down to the fact that both OASYS and M3 didn't really have a reasonable competition at the time when they were released. OASYS still stands on its own to this day, and it's been three years. Lack of a good competitor is a very bad thing, especially if you have a good product. And M3 is - in all its glory - a good product. Yeah, cutting corners here and there, but nevertheless a good product worth the money.

That being said, I'm "armed" with all sorts of recorders, cables, ipods and stuff and have a meeting with people from Roland and Yamaha today. I'll try to get some quality time with the G to see the color of its skin. I gotta say, though - this constant "Fantom" and "Motif" branding ise slowly getting the best of me. Both Yamaha and Roland are really milking these words, NVIDIA style...
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used Roland before but as I noticed (sorry Korg) I think I would prefer Roland G-series instead of Korg M3-series! The only thing I would miss is the lack of Touchscreen. Also, I would consider the price of each keyboard!

Regards,
Dimitris
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: M3 vs Fantom G6 Reply with quote

lifeinbalance wrote:

Any input would be helpful and thanks for your time.
cheers
steve

have you sat down and played the M3 ?
lifeinbalance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and info.
Yes I have spent a few hours with the M3 at the music store - I really like the M3, I like it's forward approach to sound design and its cool spacey look.
The Karma and the on board touch pad is a selling point. I also play a Radias and a Voyager - Also I'm hoping to control some of the wind samples on the workstation with my EWI 4000s wind synth.
I do know of course that the M3 vs the new Fantom G is a matter of a highly personal choice - I was hoping for a technical point of comparison. Sample length, memory, physical features and stuff like that.
Also I believe that the new fathom is almost ready to ship... It's already listed on the Nova Music web site with a price.
http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=4733&mid=267

The new Namm stuff is exciting -
cheers
http://lifeinbalancemusic.com
http://myspace.com/soundhealer
http://cdbaby.com/cd/lifeinbalance
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lifeinbalance wrote:
Thanks for the input and info.
Yes I have spent a few hours with the M3 at the music store - I really like the M3, I like it's forward approach to sound design and its cool spacey look.
The Karma and the on board touch pad is a selling point. I also play a Radias and a Voyager - Also I'm hoping to control some of the wind samples on the workstation with my EWI 4000s wind synth.
I do know of course that the M3 vs the new Fantom G is a matter of a highly personal choice - I was hoping for a technical point of comparison. Sample length, memory, physical features and stuff like that.
Also I believe that the new fathom is almost ready to ship... It's already listed on the Nova Music web site with a price.
http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?type=Model&keyword=4733&mid=267

The new Namm stuff is exciting -
cheers

thats not correct. The G is available in April , so says Roland. And be aware, April becomes late April, then its May. Thats my honest experience with Roland's new NAMM models.

Any retailer, online, store, would be happy to take your pre-order.

Anyways, It sounds like you need a nice chart , for a spec by spec feature to feature comparison.

Maybe someone will put an hour or 2 in on that for you

There is considerable difference between them. And they sound very different. Plus the " G " is a major upgrade from the Fantom X

I like 'em both, BTW. I have the M3-M and lov it. I own the Rd700Sx and I am looking at the new Rd700Gx
Voltan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the video on roland usa site and I must say it does look very cool
And VERY different from the M3 too, pretty much in every aspect except they are both synths and most of them have keys Wink
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currenty have an M3-73 with Radias Exp. and am seriously considering the Fantom-G. Of course, I will wait to hear it, but I am so dissapointed in the performance features of the M3 that I just might switch if the G is that much better performance-wise. I have complained about slow screen draw time between changing programs and combis before on this forum. I'm not bagging on Korg, I love their boards and currently own the Triton-Pro and M3, but switching from a piano program to an organ program takes longer than my Triton Classic. The M3 buttons you almost have to smack them to get them to change programs. Korg done away with the hold-ten feature of the Classic on the M3 and there is no smooth program change or combi change w/o the sound cutting off. You can hold the keys down on a program and change programs and it won't cut off the sounds, but you can't hold the sustain pedal down and achieve the same results. Combis always cutoff sound when changing combis (I believe this is true on the Oasys also)
It looks like the Fantom has taken a huge step in this regard. Maybe even better than the Kurzweil that has had this feature since day one. Patch holding feature is huge in live performance. I'm sure none of these issues can be addressed with an OS upgrade, especially the buttons, but I also feel the build quality is in question for the M3. It just feels like you are going to have to be REAL careful when transporting to a gig. I've had my M3 for almost six months and continue to use my Triton for live gigs because I can't get past the slow changing of programs/combis and lack of more performance oriented programs. The Fantom's build quality looks rock solid, 22 ifx (holy crap) smooth program/combi/split/layer changing with no cutoff of sound, supposedly uncompressed PCM data (not sure about that, thought I read it in one of the other forums) ya, I'm going to serously look at this board when it is released along the with PC3. 128 polyphony on Kurzweil is like having 1000 polyphony on any other board. I also have a PC2X with only 64 note polyphony and you never never hear notes dropping like on my Triton or M3. Sorry for the long post, but I too would like to see a side-by-side specs of M3/Fantom G. Confused
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: M3 vs Fantom G6 Reply with quote

lifeinbalance wrote:

The best answer would be to wait until late April/early May when the Fantom-G arrives in stores. Then:

1. Find a music store that has the Korg M3, Roland Fantom G and Yamaha Motif XS in stock
2. Take a good set of headphones and a pad of paper and pencil
3. Demo each keyboard focusing on the different sounds. No keyboard has "the best" sounds, so you are trying to determine which one has the best sounds for the type of music you want to play
4. Try to get a sense for each keyboard's interface. Depending on how you use the workstation (as a standalone recorder, integrated into a computer DAW, live performances) the interface may be an important decision criteria

If you are DYING to start the process now, I would suggest downloading the M3 manuals and the Motif XS manuals, then spend 1 hour browsing each. The Fantom G manual will then be available in a few months also.

In the end, you won't be TERRIBLY wrong with an M3, XS, or Fantom-G. Each company will still continue selling them, and all will have buyers.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drama1 wrote:
I've had my M3 for almost six months and continue to use my Triton for live gigs because I can't get past the slow changing of programs/combis and lack of more performance oriented programs.

Slow changes? Hmmm.......I have both a Triton and an M3 with little or no difference for program/combi changes.
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No audio demos today from me, Roland doesn't allow people to try the G, they're just demoing it. As if I care how it sounds like when their demonstrator plays it or that it's supposed to be out in April. I know it's unfinished and whatnot, but I want to try it out myself. Although - I gotta say this - it doesn't really sound all that much different then the Fantom to me, at least not through the PA or on the headphones hooked up. They're openly bragging how it has a much better sonic quality, but I've seen enough PRware in my life not to trust anything that I don't try myself.

That being said, I still think that the Patch Hold feature is absolutely superb. Smile
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.

Last edited by vEddY on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey veddy, I hear the Roland Demo dudes are running the " G " in mono thru
KC300's

Hardly the best way to appreciate the audio of the " G"

Did you happen to hear the Rd700Gx ?

Thanks !
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
KC300's
Thanks !

Yeah, I did... Roland Smile

BTW, I "changed" some things in my previous response, there's a place with Roland demonstrator going through PA, and on the other - 5-6 headphones hooked up. I listened to both of those for quite awhile. No "WOW" effect here, sorry Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
GregC wrote:
KC300's
Thanks !

Yeah, I did... Roland Smile

BTW, I "changed" some things in my previous response, there's a place with Roland demonstrator going through PA, and on the other - 5-6 headphones hooked up. I listened to both of those for quite awhile. No "WOW" effect here, sorry Smile

got it, good change

So the Rd700GX did not float your boat ?

I am a little surprised given the GX has twice the Wave rom vs the SX
Plus they added a new acoustic piano. I know the ' Supernatural ' is onboard the GX, too

Thanks !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: