Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Willing to Buy an answer ($10USD) and a solution ($10 USD)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olsonic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Willing to Buy an answer ($10USD) and a solution ($10 USD) Reply with quote

Hello all,

This is my problem, I am a guitar player that decided he'd like to play the piano. One of my beat-making buddies decided to lend me his Korg microX because it was collecting dust in his closet. Unfortunately, Looking up instruction manuals for this instrument makes me feel like a seventh grade science student looking up what a hydrogen bond is in a quantum mechanics book. I don't have the energy to go sifting through this mountain of jargon anymore. My question is this..

I have a micro-X
I have FL Studio 7
I have a USB cable connecting the two

What Else do I need to begin recording?

I hope that money talks.
I will send 5 US dollars for the best answer, and if someone has a solution that I can understand so I can begin making tracks in fruityloops using the Microx synth sounds ill pay $10USD

I use PayPal, but I can also send cash.. This is really frustrating..

Thanks,

Last edited by Olsonic on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Samjam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Olsonic!

You want to make music on the digital way. I dont know how much experience and knowlegebackround you have got. But if you dont have any, i guess it , like the kind how you request help, you need to know that you can not write to someone over the internet how to play guitar who never played in his live. Or for example : please help me ive got some plutonium and uran, a reactor i will organize , how do i make electricity?
Making musik on the computer is pritty complex. First of all i recomend you if you really want to learn it, to buy yourself some easy books about making digital music with sequenzer, what is an synthesiser,sampler what is midi and how all that crap works. You dont need to know everything in the begining but you must understand some princip how they work. After you collect some backgrond you need to start with the manual from fruity loops and you will understand much more than you do now. of course you need to read as well the manual from the microX. Everybody does it who wants to work well with the Instument o Sequenzers etc. Doesnt matter how many years he is allready in buisness!!! The digital word is so komplex and big , what make it very interesting and with lots of posibilitys, but as well it can make lots of things very complicate. i never forget how i started for 6 years. I never had an idea how to make it. i was frustrated, nobody helps me. i started to buy books , i learn , tryed, i was very happy when i succeeed something. It will give you kicks!! You start to ask more concret question , and than you got an chance that someone will answer and help you. Most off the people started like this. And if you want to do it good than you have to learn a lot. But its a lot of fun to learnit, if you love it!!! Laughing
Olsonic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samjam wrote:
Hello Olsonic!

You want to make music on the digital way. I dont know how much experience and knowlegebackround you have got. But if you dont have any, i guess it , like the kind how you request help, you need to know that you can not write to someone over the internet how to play guitar who never played in his live. Or for example : please help me ive got some plutonium and uran, a reactor i will organize , how do i make electricity?
Making musik on the computer is pritty complex. First of all i recomend you if you really want to learn it, to buy yourself some easy books about making digital music with sequenzer, what is an synthesiser,sampler what is midi and how all that crap works. You dont need to know everything in the begining but you must understand some princip how they work. After you collect some backgrond you need to start with the manual from fruity loops and you will understand much more than you do now. of course you need to read as well the manual from the microX. Everybody does it who wants to work well with the Instument o Sequenzers etc. Doesnt matter how many years he is allready in buisness!!! The digital word is so komplex and big , what make it very interesting and with lots of posibilitys, but as well it can make lots of things very complicate. i never forget how i started for 6 years. I never had an idea how to make it. i was frustrated, nobody helps me. i started to buy books , i learn , tryed, i was very happy when i succeeed something. It will give you kicks!! You start to ask more concret question , and than you got an chance that someone will answer and help you. Most off the people started like this. And if you want to do it good than you have to learn a lot. But its a lot of fun to learnit, if you love it!!! Laughing

As you may not have understood from my previous post, I am fully aware of how difficult it is to learn a highly technical subject for the first time. But here is the miracle of education Sam, Some teachers don't think there is such thing as a stupid question. If you ever meet one of these people, you might want to take a note on how they answer complicated questions from interested but under-educated students.

My question still stands... anyone
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X-50 doesn't send audio over the USB- only midi signals, musical note information, not the resulting audio that the X-50 produces as a result.

To record, you need to hook the L+R audio output of the X-50 to some audio input of your computer. It has two 1/4" TR mono plugs. Your computer probably has a 1/8" TRS stereo mini plug. So you need two standard guitar cables and an adapter that has two mono 1/4" female plugs with a single 1/8" male jack. Or you can buy an external USB audio in/out box that already has 1/4" mono jacks, so that you only need the two cables. Many other variations too get adapt between the X-50 and the computer.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Willing to Buy an answer ($10USD) and a solution ($10 US Reply with quote

Olsonic wrote:
Hello all,
I have a micro-X
I have FL Studio 7

a decent audio interface
some decent speakers,
paulh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Olsonic

dont be too harsh on poor samjam I think what hes trying to say there isnt one answer to the question your asking about using multiple technology (computing, sequencing, synthesis and MIDI) to create and record music.
Although it is a lot easier then when I brought an Atari ST and yamaha DX11 nearly 20 odd years ago!! for a start there were no internet resources like this!

So to start with I think you need to forget about the functions of the MicroX itself and understand the concept of connecting a synthesizer to a computer and using a sequencer to record the output either as digital audio or MIDI data.

heres a resource that may be a good starting point for you on this.....

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html

there are lots of other sections on the Tweakheadz site that cover the whole process of setting up a home studio written, IMO, in an easy to follow guide.

If you want a faster learning curve and dont want to wade through loads of manuals/webpages I'd suggest seeing if there are any courses local to you that teach an introduction to computer music production.

At the end of the day I still get frustrated with the complexity of the technology and trying to make everything work together at the same time
(and hate reading manuals!) but the musical rewards are worth it! Smile

Paul.
Olsonic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Willing to Buy an answer ($10USD) and a solution ($10 US Reply with quote

4NDRW wrote:
Olsonic wrote:
Hello all,
I have a micro-X
I have FL Studio 7

a decent audio interface
some decent speakers,

Seems like this is the best answer out there.. Brief, but to the point, Ill send you contact information via private message
asdasd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is rediciolous... LOL

Anyway easy way is to just buy a normal guitar cable (or use existing one). Get a cable extension for it that goes to Audio in of your computer(insert the other head normaly to the synth just like you would while play through amp - to the Mono / stereo out).

you might want to consider new AUDIO card for your computer if something wierd happens to the sound.

After this you need a recording program and you are set, something simple like audacity is good to start with. remember to set your volume level on the synth just so that the signal doesn't clip (=simply meaning if the recorded material is distorted reduce the synth's volume).

Yeah. and if you want to hear what you recorded you need speakers -.-.

You CANNOT record audio through USB, just use normal instrument(= also called Guitar and 1/4" cable) cable to the audio jack of your computer you need an extension to the cable(so that it fits to the audio jack, this is exacly the same place where you speakers are plugged to the computer). that should be available from any music store and from any other "mechinery" store. My "guitar to audio jack" cable extension thing costed 2€ so this is not a big deal.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an echo in here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: