Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

floppy disk downloads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnpaul46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: floppy disk downloads Reply with quote

Floppy disks being something of the past, is there a way of making downloads from my computer to my Karma other than floppys? Thanks
dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed there is. You can save virtually everything on your Karma to your computer (and send it back again) in the form of system exclusive data – sysex for short.

If you use a Windows PC, get your hands on MIDIOX, available here:

http://www.midiox.com/

If you're on Mac (as I am), you can download Sysex Librarian here:

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

Reading of the accompanying documentation is strongly recommended. And the first thing you must do is save your Karma data so you can get things back to where they were.

Post again if you need assistance.

Kind regards.
johnpaul46

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Floppy Disk Downloads Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for your reply. MIDIOX looks like a valuable tool. I'm going to download MIDIOX as soon as I can get my MIDI connections. Any words of wisdom on the best / better gear for making the MIDI to USB connections? Is USB the best way? (Dave thinks, "Will this new guy never stop with these boring basic questions?")
dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your response, I assume you don't already have the Karma hooked up to your PC. In that case, since the Karma has no USB port, you'll need to buy a MIDI interface. This connects to your Karma via two MIDI cables and to your PC via USB cable.

Which interface you should buy depends on the number of synths you wish to have permanently hooked up to your system. In my case I use a pair of MOTU MTP AV/USB interfaces networked together to give me 16 ports. Each port offers 16 MIDI channels – I have 10 synths/samplers hooked up to this network.

I only use MOTU interfaces so I can't comment on any other manufacturers. The relevant MOTU product page is here:

http://www.motu.com/products/midi/

You can price this stuff at any of the online music stores like Sweetwater.

With regard to your other post re sharing of EXBs and MOSS between a Triton and a Karma, while you certainly can play and control the MOSS and EXB sounds in the Triton via MIDI from the Karma, you can't edit the sounds or even see this additional hardware from the Karma because you're simply using it as a controller keyboard in this case.

It's a bit like owning two PCs, filling one up with RAM and PCI cards, then expecting the second PC to somehow benefit.

So the answer to your question is no. If you want full edit control from each keyboard, you have to buy twice. You have to make a decision on this one. In my case, I put EXB4 and EXB5 in the Karma and put the MOSS, EXB3, and EXB9 in my Triton-Rack.

Kind regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Karma All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: