Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is anyone else getting sick of audio recording posts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4NDRW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: is anyone else getting sick of audio recording posts? Reply with quote

the usb connection between your computer and your x50/micro-x is designed for midi only!
it doesn't transmit any audio

there are some other synths out there that can do audio and midi through the one usb cable (the access virus ti for example)
but NOT your micro-x/X50!!

it only talks with midi data, which are like instructions to tell your synth what to do.
if you do not understand what midi is, ask wikipedia or google.

you need to hook up some standard guitar leads from the L/mono + R on your keyboard to some form of speakers if you want to hear it!

(perhaps a guitar/keyboard amp, the input on your computers soundcard or audio interface, headphones, or maybe a seperate mixer connected to some speakers......)

otherwise... you wont hear it!

if you want to record it, it has to be connected to the audio input for your computers soundcard or audio interface.
the audio signals have to be sent into your computer if you want your sequencer software to be able to use them in any way!

if you can't understand this, get a friend to help you sell your keyboard on ebay.
asdasd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be stickied!

and yeah the USB port is basicly a midi out and in.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh,

i think we should post a link to this thread anytime another person asks the same question in a new thread.
and then not say anything else in the new thread.

maybe someone should write up a detailed micro-x/x50 FAQ and sticky it.
Jim_L

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB is also midi in/out?
Thanks for the info!
Yes, make it a sticky.
Make a detailed sticky on how to connect the synth to a computer and not only just to record with, but add info on inputting data to notation software too, especially for us guitarists who can't really play piano that well but love the sounds from the Korg and are at least trying to learn to play!
-Jim
firetotheworks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would really help if there was a sticky on exactly how you go about routing the micro x and midi to be able to record. The manuals vague and I think the USB and plug in editor has confused people. Heres a simple starters guide to setting the micro X for recording.

Make sure the outputs from the Micro X (Main Output) is connected to the Left and Right Inputs of your soundcard

Install all of the drivers for the micro x

Assuming that your DAW (Cubase, Logic or whatever) now can see your micro x you can do the following set up if you want to use the plug in editor and midi.

Set up a midi channel with:
Input: 'Micro X Keyboard'
Output: 'Micro X sound '

You can use the plug in editor to change the parameters of whatever sound you want. As I found early on, and the main posts that people are getting annoyed with is based on the assumption that you can bounce the midi track straight down to audio as you would with the Virus T1 or with VSTi's. You need to do the following:

Solo the midi track assuming that youre happy with the overall sound. Record enable the audio track and make sure the input is the Left and Right Inputs of your soundcard and the output is the left and right outputs of your soundcard (your audio monitors)

Hit record and it will record the midi information because the output of the midi is then routed to the input of the audio track.

A lot of people will be 'well durr, obviously' but I think a lot of people forget what its like when you're first starting out, and perhaps with any other synth it would be obvious. I hope this is of help to others because it was a total pain working this out on my own. With this information I could have sorted the problem in 2 minutes. If anyone has anything to add or subtract from my method to make it easier for people then great. Once we have the simplest method then maybe it should be a sticky with a 'please read before posting, known issue' post.

Also, if youre still having problems hearing anything then try a factory reset of the micro x. That cost me a day trying every solution other than a reset
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: