Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

midi assignment list of sounds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim_L

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: midi assignment list of sounds? Reply with quote

is there a list of what midi channels the various sounds from the X50 are assigned to? I'm about 85% at getting Sibelius v4 to talk to the X50 but can't get the program to see the exact sounds or play them back correctly. Some sounds/track/channels of the notation software play, others don't. It has to be something with the X50 but I'm at a loss (and know nothing about midi other than it's just data).

The software may tell the X50 to play a violin (from it's internal default instrument list) but when it gets to the 50, the 'info' goes to some other sound. I thought this midi language was universal/standard with all midi capable instruments?

I'm also still at a loss as to why I can input notes to the sheet music and the program can send 'play this sound' info back but the program can't see the types of instruments/sound types in the synth and list them in it's device sound list like it does with it's internal library of instruments.
xmlguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to install the X-50 plug-in editor software. I see that Sibelius v5 uses VSTs, which are one of the types of plugins that the software above includes. I don't know if v4 supports VSTs. The VST will not only let you control the settings of the X50 from within Sibelius, but it can also give it the list of banks and programs it has so that they can be used within the software.

One problem with midi is that it provides no standard way to communicate the capabilities of the synth hardware such as patch and bank names. The VST interface does provide a consistent standard that was defined by Steinberg and licensed to many other vendors. The software can then communicate directly to the VST plug-in, while the VST software communicates to the hardware directly using its own proprietary interface over midi.

Without using plug-ins, the Sibelius developers would have to maintain a database of all of the settings from all of the synths, which is a very hard moving target. Most new synths like the X50 will take a while for software vendors to catalog and release, so the VST plug-in is a good way to avoid having to constantly update their software.
Jim_L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did install all the software/editors from the X50 disk & the vst & rsta plugins. I've opened the X50 editor but that appears to be just an interface to edit & save sounds from/into the X50, something I'll never use. other than that, I've no idea.
4NDRW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see if you can open it up inside Sibelius

or just use the "bank G" sounds on the micro-x
as this bank conforms to the general midi standard
Jim_L

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's probably no way to use every sound?
How would you suggest i 'open' the editor in Sibelius? Would the editor need to be started first?
4NDRW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if sibelius can open vst instrument plugins

then select the micro-x editor from the list of plugins.

if it can't use vst instruments...
then the editor wont work
Jim_L

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, won't work, doesn't recognize vsts. I'm giving up. Programs too old & the synth is too new. Thanks for the help.
-Jim
4NDRW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must have an older version
according to wikipedia, version 5 can do VST's

try the sibelius forums?
http://www.sibelius.com/community/index.html

if noone knows anything about the micro-x
ask about controlling a triton

and it should be fairly similar.
Jim_L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Sib v4, I've given up trying unless there's a way to create a sound set file similar to one for a triton, I'm just not knowledgeable about programming & such. i've been to Sib's & Korg's websites/forums and many other places. It's not worth buying v5 (the demo can't 'see' the X50 either) just to create sheet music, I wouldn't be using all the other stuff in the program.
khortoom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim you're only sending midi data via USB to sibelius... no Audio... if u use a Virus Ti then yes u can send audio via USB too. Read to How to send audio sticky post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg X-50 / microX All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: