Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mar. 2008 OSAM..ellll, Route 102
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Mar. 2008 OSAM..ellll, Route 102 Reply with quote

This is the same basically, as the orig. improv...That was done by first playing some chordal structure, while "digging" through programs. The two "off color" are not what they appear but are changed from orig. O1W programs from a friend..

One was Desert Dawn, re-done to be called by this guy...Desert Womb; the second was once Blue moon...and he calls it Dark Moon, and the third was made from French Boys, and he calls it Superhorn...

Tempo is up by 6 beats from what I orig. played that day, (to mm/118 quarter note), but is still playable by any trained pianist, and I am doing the score now...

It represents for me...the eastern New Mexico and northwestern Texas, truly lonely highway through desert conditions and low mountian beauty...very lonely with no cars for long stretches...

It still has no new sound..but it will when I am able...

http://www.korgforums.com/mp3/route102.mp3

Best Regards!!, ellll Rolling Eyes

**EDIT:..New at better bit rate...Please check it for me....John Rolling Eyes

Last edited by ellll on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your playing as always is great John.

I love the song's development from the 1:30 mark on. I must admit that the guitar/plucked sounding part in the first minute and a half is confusing to me. It seems to "compete" with what I am focused on.

The brass is very welcomed in this song. Subtle parts that briefly draw your attention but then digress as the piano again takes a rolling lead. But then the guitar/plucked sounding part kinda comes back in toward the end. It isn't the sound that confuses, though that may have to do with why I feel like it "competes" at times with the piano. Maybe a harp would have captured the feeling better?

The melody structure the latter half of the song is lovely. I know you were thinking desert but this song has a very wintery feel to it.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
Lorenzo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this song is a constant progression (not in the musical meaning) to something, it gain the attention of the listener untill its end. Another great work!
just some technical impression though, I think that the piano should stay more in the mix, maybe it's volume is too high or the reverb isn't the right one. At 3:34 even if I can't see the clip in the audio editor I hear a distortion in the sound of the piano. There are also a sub-noise (try to filter the frequencies below the 40-50 HZ (I didn't analyze the waveform, maybe it's the electrical noise so try to cut the 50 [EU] or the 60 HZ [US]).
There is also a total lack but it's only an impression of sounds in the higher frequencies range like above the 16KHz (ok, I wrote here a number but I'm really not sure about this, maybe it's even higher) cos I can't hear the "air" in the sound. Maybe you put a filter for higher frequencies?

Regards, Lorenzo
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorenzo hit it..,!!!!!!!!!!!!,

On what I am hearing...Interesting.. The eq is a few db up at 30,60,125..almost flat but above the center point at 250, 500, 1K, and MUCH higher for 2,4,8,16 and 20K..I hear it that way through 'phones, and to some extent through the speakers...from the synth through my high quality but old professional Technics commercial unit. It is GOOD here...and bright, as I "like" bright.....

HOWEVER...The first time I listened on the comp from the forum...it was much less "attractive"..and missing a lot it has here in the orig...so I ask as I have in the past...how much do we lose to encoding to mp3? and how much might I be losing in the computer??

To finalize this...if I run the synth with the orig...it sounds fine...If I play the Audacity version as wave..it is fine, but the mp3 seems less bright, and the one over the forum the least of the versions...I used the C-- whatever on the Smart FTP...(right?)...

Thanks for the comments from Jon and Lorenzo..You are right on the muddle at the start...intended....It is a haze and a distant darkness you drive into here...

The piano was used..as it is my instrument, but if it were a song of note, needing a better plan, probably the piano should be less intrusive...or replaced..

Thanks guys! let me know MORE about the "sound"..please read my note on the other thread...

John.. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home now at last, firstly I'd like to say well done for providing a creative and soulfull piece of music.
Focussing on the music and how I feel, the piano parts are really breathtaking. I know it's your thing, and I concentrate on these too, they are so articulate and flowing. I do think that we haven't heard the best overall sound yet, I'm sure something is being lost in the conversion.
Desert, I can see that, but the quiet backing parts lead me somewhere else.
Great work John Smile

Edit- I see it's encoded at 128Kbps, you could try 192 or 256, have a listen and see what you think.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ellll, it is an honor to have your here among us. What a lovely, well written piece that took me on a journey that I shall likely repeat again and again. Yes, there could be some improvement in how it was recorded, but as you say it's all in the composition. And I think what you've done esp with the piano is spectacular. Do teach your techniques and theory to as many people as possible. Some day, when we're all gone, and there are others to take our place, would that they could benefit from your years of experience.
album cover
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the piano playing is exceptional, and I'm usually one that doesn't like a lot of arpeggios, and flourishes.
I'm afraid I don't get the image you mentioned, but do get carried away listening to this.
Nicely done John.
Regards,
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ellll,

Yes - highs get the crap kicked out of them @ 128 MP3. Crank it up to 192 at the least.

Oh man - I can't even think about how to compose like this. Very scenic playing - if you know what I mean. I had to listen to it a few times to get my mind around it - as I am not accustomed to listening to this style.

Yes - I like the horn - nice touch. From that point on the tune seems to come together for me. This is a very beautiful composition Smile
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi friends,

So I need to go to "192" rather than "128"? Thanks...!!! (now, what point is this you are speaking of...is it the conversion...or the sending?.. Winlame..or Smart f-p...??? or something else?? like the Audacity recording?)..(sorry I am dull...)

My Best, John ellll Rolling Eyes
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the setting for the mp3 encoding, so if you're exporting the file as an mp3 from Audacity there will be a setting there, or if you're using winLame, set it there. I use 256 kbs, as recommended earlier.

Hope this helps,
Dee
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that number is like a resolution setting, how many little waves make up the same sound, so the higher the number the more like the original sound wave you get as a result
album cover
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a difference,
There's still something missing from the mid to top end, but crank the volume up, and it's very clear. It's nothing really only a small way to go, to release the full potential. I wish I could be of more help, it's still an amazing work.
I'm concentrating on the music...
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, you know how I feel about the music. The recording is clearer which helps us to hear all of the virtuosity. I truly do love the intro sounds...That strong bow sound on strings and then the horns in the background. It is like the opening picture to a vast horizon of wonder. Kewl!

I would really hate you not being part of this group. I want to selfishly continue hear your approach and directions you are taking us. Your family is first but we need your perspective and experience here. Thanks for joining the shindig! Cool

I definitely need to get piano fingering lessons from you (if you don't mind the small commute to Tampa). My left hand is like the dumber little brother. Plus there is my lack of discipline, hard work ethic, lack of vision, inabilty to learn, poor memory.....
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cordial...and Jaz!!!...You guys are great!!! Just like everyone else here (almost... Cool )...!

In fact, no one knows much better than me..except maybe the way cool observer, Jon, who has a VERY keen ear......that my sound needs improving...so I am hoping for the best.

I believe it is part a matter of my past, and what we were pleased with in growing up...I am from the decades that went out and bought the best SINGLE woofer and tweeter we could afford, and built our own cab.....for MONO....mind you...and I have not been as astute in my listening skills with speakers....

IN RELATION to REPRODUCED music...I went through thirty years of not even paying much attention to the recordings made of my choirs!!...but instead walking to the back and sides in the aud. to hear the live acoustics before a performance...I didn't listen more than maybe once or twice to the recordings...just to see that they were good...H---, I heard them singing every day!!!

It is very much different now, hearing sound from synth. and speakers and getting it to sound right..but I am more hurt from the programs right now...In those past times...the school did the recording...I didn't have to worry about it...

I also have need to mention, in case any read this...I have not yet listened to the March tunes that are on...a bit behind right now...but I will get it done.

My honest gratitude to you all for your acceptance!!! and encouragement!!

My Best!!! ellll Rolling Eyes !! (John)
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, it's always a pleasure to hear your compositions.
I love the fact that most of the other osam's guys are more technically able to give advice, I'm just playing it by ear.
Not only that of course, but to listen and take musically from the posts.
As is say, it's just a production element that needs tweaking, the icing on the cake, we will work it out Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: