Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1979!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: 1979! Reply with quote

Hi,

here's my song for March. I named it after the JP 8000 patch that is very pronounced in this tune. Its a bit repetitive at times Confused but doesn't sound too bad overall. From now on I will switch to regular sequencer mode. Motif's pattern sequencer let's you quickly create a "draft song" but building upon loops isn't too good for creativity IMO.

Anyway here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=6371599&q=hi

sewa
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say this is a great March song. There is a transition from your first song to this one that is timely with the season, yet having nothing really to do with the season. At the same time, you have captured a very retro feel with the sounds, but not compromising a modern undertone.

Song:

Well thought out melodies. I thought the lead might interfere with the bass line because of the notes being concurrent, but that was never the case. I also did not hear intonality which can be a nasty side effect to playing parts "together" as it were. I did feel like around 2:35 I would hear a fantastic arp come in and help with the rhythm...but it never did. This is not a minus, just a preference on my part. I felt like that would have cut out some of the repetition you commented on.

Technical:

Very nice mix. The kick felt heavy. I really appreciate the minimal use of FX in this song. It would have sounded like Giorgio Mororder had you had tons of reverb and echo, but instead you brought it forward and made it sound modern. However, there were still elements of the background that could have used a light plate reverb with a slow bounce back to fill the sound out a bit more. Maybe that or the arp I described above would have filled the latter half of the song out.

As to building on loops, there is NOTHING at all wrong with that. I just saw a YouTube video of a girl I know who did a whole song with loops live and it was great (this is your thread so I will refrain from posting it here). But more importantly it showed the creativity you can get from loops. I think you did not let us down here with this song.

Scratch one more on your barrel. Cool

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts out great. I like that this sounds computer generated, but not overly so. It was not composed and performed by a computer, but by someone who plays the computer like a musical instrument, that's my impression here. I like the break around 2 minutes, and then after that too, the lead synth has a great retro brilliance to it, if you like Kraftwerk you'd like this, undoubtedly. This is the sort of thing I could lay on my back and close my eyes and let the synths and beat wash over me. I can't think what you could do to improve this, it does have a good balance all around. And I don't think it's monotonous, probly to your ears if you heard it a million times. I think to add more would take away from the simplicity of this. I'm trying to be simpler now, I used to fill up every blank space and now I see more how strong a piece is when it has space in it. I really like this one a lot, and just the way it is. If I were to anticipate a direction for your next pieces, hmm, that's hard. I would like to hear how much variation and diversity you could do from piece to piece while keeping with the simplicity and classic synth sounds. Maybe a much slower piece, maybe a really fast piece. But do keep this up. This is the sort of electronica I seem to enjoy the most.
album cover
Stephen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has a very classy vibe going.
The use of the synth sounds is very appealing.
Nice job on the subtle build also.
I like this very much.
Smile
http://cdbaby.com/all/jstephenfoster

Location Central U.S.A.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sewa.....,

Great sound indeed!!! Whin the git gets in it is tellin' you it's going places!!!~Smooth piano line as well...This whole thing is a keeper, and wotrh several listens...

Love the ambient wind entering!!! and nowthe Git right after...You have def. got it together on this one...Its really great!!!!

Really like the fade as welll great goin!!! I will listen a few more times, but won't comment on the material aspects...I am not up enough on this genre...

Thanks for This ONE!!! ..John (ellll) Very Happy
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K.,

After a few more listens, I appreciate Jon's comment on the kick..more than I would use I think...but still in the ballpark...I just don't see anything of real concern to be done, but you could probably go in and change things...Maybe..or maybe not..for the better. I spend too much time on such, I know...

Maybe a few others will have better comments than mine...

Best wishes ,my Friend! John... Very Happy
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for comments everyone. Jon, George I appreciate the time you took to write extensive reviews.

I listened to it million times, that's true, which is probably where my scepticism comes from. The hardest part was the rythym. I'm not a drummer but I don't want to rely on presets either. What I did was to customize certain grooves in the Motif, the Radias and mix them together. It takes a lot of time to get the right results, and I still haven't figuered how to streamline the process. Software sulutions are out of question as my rig is built around Motif's sequencer. I'm looking forward to the release of the new P3 sequencer http://www.sequentix.com/ . I believe it might just be the ticket.

Anyway, thanks for your time and let's move forward, April is comming up!

sewa
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sewa
I really enjoyed listening to your new song. This never gets boring and builds and builds very well - really good layering of ideas here. I wish I could write music like this. I will listen many times to this!

Regards from
Dee
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great sound, I was listening earlier, but wanted to get home for the full experience Smile
Clean without being clinical, the feeling I'm left with is why I love synth music so much.
I was 15 in 1979, I loved the 80's music.
Nothing else can come close, I can imagine hearing this in a club and seeing the reaction.
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sewa,

The cool middle section just started,...! I am listening around again,...Don't mind me...

I am still very much impressed with the feel I learned to love...I was a bit earlier, overall, but this guitar feel is right up my alley..Interestingly my best years for popular music were '75-'85...and I haven't put it behind me yet..(as is true for many..)

Modern designation leaves me a bit at sea..but "classic"....for most, is pretty well understood and I do at least know the accepted terminology for the "rock" format in general.. Cool ..Well..I was once...

Best John Very Happy
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee, Simon, John - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Simon, if I'm not mistaken you have upgraded your monitoring setup right? What is it now?

John, I see you have been listening to it for some time now...still not bored Wink Question
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sewa...,

No...,not bored at all...In fact it just holds me well as it fits my memory "pockets" pretty well..

However....You DO have to do more songs...so.....We are watching you rather closely Shocked ...

My Regards!! John Very Happy
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sewa - Oh man - you really brought me back with those sounds and composition! I really like how its built. The intro is perfect - love that bass drum, and then each instrument falling in place one layer at a time. What was the guitar sound you used?

I like the way you ushered in the change ~ 2:00 with that wind sound. And the classical fade ending.

Actually there is nothing I would say to change. It is perfect as it is. I think it can easily be thought that this tune was created back then - which is Cool

Big Cheers,

={> Art
Pecca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet sounds Smile
Without going into too many details, i liked this one.
Cool cheesy synths there, nicely tweaked with lfo etc.
The bass was soooo sweet.
Took me back a couple of decades Wink
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my laptop when away from home, small built in speakers..
Behringer B2031 at home, makes all the difference (although not everyone will agree!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: