Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dee - March 08
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...that means that "I" just created the first official printable OSAM Memo! Laughing Laughing Laughing

HA HA HA HA! Memos are great. Can you tell I like watching The Office?

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The office, great series, do we all know a Ricky Gervais Smile

I started listening to this song in work, and it became my song for the day. There's something that I can't put my finger on that transforms the whole feel when the backing and drums come in. I use too much reverb, but I like the raw, honest sound you've got here.

I am half expecting, and anticipating, the next part to come in and there's definitely a waiting game going on, but it resolves so well. This could so easily be a theme tune for a serious TV show, it has class.

Excellent Dee, loving it.
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, thank you Simon!

This song is rather special to me and I'm still going to do some work on it, so watch this space for the next version.

I've already got you printed out several times, Jon .Twisted Evil

And about adding reverb to the drums...turns out the send to reverb was set to 0, but I find that even a bit of send creates some annoying hissing sounds. What do I adjust in the reverb EQ to get rid of this?

Regards from
Dee
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to critique. It is simply beautiful. I will add more later.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee, there is a way on my TS where I can set the insert effects to drumkit setting, which means that some sounds go thru instert effect one and others go thru insert effect 2 and some go directly to the 2 master effects. So I can set one effect for the bass drum, it could be eq or whatever, the other one could be where the snares or handclaps go and there I would use reverb as reverb doesn't go well on the kick or bass drum, also, too much reverb on cymbals etc may be too much depending on how dominate those perc sounds are, though they can definately use some verb, but if it's too much then this drumkit setting allows you to really fine tune how the effects will work your drums tracks, which in many of our tunes it is a crucial track that may make or break the overall feel. I don't know if you have the drumkit option in the insert effects section or not, but I'm finding that very useful.
album cover
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George.
The TC does have an insert eq called dkit, but my drums come from that combi I mentioned before and eq is set to St. Ring Modulator. Then it goes to master fx 1, which is a sequence delay. The other master fx is set to reverb and that's what causes the hiss. Anyway, I have turned it only slightly on, to about 23 or something like that, and I think the hiss has gone away. But I still thought there might be something in the reverb fx settings that would help.

What does a ring modulator do? I know it must be doing it, but I don't know what it's doing... Question .........Okay just looked it up in the user guide, and it "creates a metallic sound". Does it? The drums don't sound metallic to me. I can hear the sequence delay effect, (pretty obvious), but not the ring modulator.
Maybe it was actually doing something to some of the other combi tracks that I have muted out....??? What a mystery Very Happy

I'll see what happens if I set the drum eq to dkit instead.
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked up drumkit effect in the user guide...........can't make any sense of it. I went to global mode, but can't see which effect applies to which parts of the drum kit. Do you have to set this up in global mode, or is it already set up. I can't even make that out.

Anyway, I heard what the ring modulator is doing........very metallic! Just didn't notice it before.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drumkit is very obvious if you do it like this. Try a brand new song just for testing. Do a quick drum track, now go to the effects and set the track to drumkit. Now set the first 2 effects at very different settings, like delay and heavy reverb. Now play various notes, like kick drum, snare and handclap, or some shakers maracahs, tomtoms etc. and listen and see if some sounds are assigned to the first effect and some come thru the second. This way you can say, ok, I want this effect not to be reverb because that is where the kick is coming thru, but the other one I want reverb on because I hear the snare coming thru there. The ones that are not assigned to either are lesser perc sounds which you can assign how much to directly be effected by the master effects as they go directly there. Now that you have a song set up and with some very unusual things like ring etc you may not be able to go back and do this. But maybe for your next song if you do it from scratch this is how you might begin constructing it if you so desire.
album cover
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually figured out how to set the effects over at global mode. It was staring me in the face all the time!

It's still too complicated for me, but I could see clearly how to pick an effect for each sound the kit makes.

I'll try the new song with drum kit idea. Thanks for such a good idea, George.

Regards from
Dee
Pecca
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely piano piece. Dancing
I like it. Warm and wonderful strings aswell.
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting work, I didn't expect the groove to be that way (having listened to the intro) but it works well; not sure about the transitions though. At 1:09 the beat suddenly stops leaving the listener kind of 'naked' if you know what I mean. I think the beat should stay there, a change to a more sparse pattern could do it IMHO.

Still, I enjoyed it even though its not the kind of music I usually listen to.

my 2c
Smile
sewa
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pecca
Glad you liked it and thanks for your comments. I still have to crank up the strings at the end a bit!

Hello sewa
I took out the beat at 1:09 on purpose to create just that feeling you mentioned. You know, kind of stripped away and sparse, just the melodies in counterpoint. Thanks for bringing it up though, because you know how one gets used to the sound of one's song! Always good to hear what impression has been left on fresh ears. I'll experiment with adding something more there to reduce discomfort to the listener...........Maybe I should issue a warning before the song starts..Laughing

Dee
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that I found all the info about drumkits and which parts are set to what effect, listed in the Voice Name List part of the User Guide.

So that makes it even easier to see what's going on in Global Mode.

I suppose if I wanted to change a drum kit's effects settings I would have to create a new drum kit, so not to over-write the pre-set effect settings.
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dee - This is subtly powerful. Nice composition - wish I could play as good as you Smile

I agree w/Jon - the piano is a bit too loud in the mix and obscures some of the other voices in the arrangement. I really like the ending 2 chord bit - but I felt that it ended to abruptly - not sure what I would suggest though.

I listened to it a few times - I mite back the drums vol. down abit as well.

I like your tunes , Dee - keep 'em coming Smile

Cheers,

={> Art
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deelightful Smile

Very much enjoyed here, especially in the last third of it where everything really "takes off". After last time when we harping on about space/pausing, I really liked the fact that this time there was the part that just hit a chord and held off briefly. That really added something special to this; such a simple construct but so effective. Good work !

Whilst I admire you folks that can really play the piano so well that it becomes an ensemble on it's own, that does bring with it some mixing difficulties Wink The instrument is just spectrally enormous (due to the number of strings under each notes and the sympathetic resonance), consequently it needs some care in the mix. Here it is a little too present in the mix and too hot. To my ear it needs a little less compression (maybe you a master effect or something), to be lower in the mix, a little more reverb and possibly to have some of it's spectral fatness in the mid range scooped out with an EQ. Sounds like fun, eh ? Wink

With the Korg Dkit IFX routings on the Oasys I remember how the setup using an acronym, Stephen Kay Tweaks Combis Perpetually Wink Snares, Kick, Toms, Cymbals/Hats, Percussion ... routed each to IFX1, IFX2, IFX3, IFX4 and IFX5. I suspect something similar is done on the Triton as well, and a suitable acronym can be found. Funnily enough on the first piece I did this year, I used the Oasys for drum sounds and actually removed all the effects and just routed the entire sound through one of their Tube Preamp IFXs. It sounded fab Smile The raw drumkits are pretty well balanced and sometimes such a simple hack can prove effective. With the TS only having 5 IFX it's one worth exploring so you can have IFX available for other duties.

Daz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: