Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe MIDI Connection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
juergen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: EMX to RADIAS - R Reply with quote

Is this working the same way as to Microkorg ?
Inbetween I want to use my NOVATION X-Station as keyboard - or is this too much ?
Fuzzmaster101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Centrepiece Reply with quote

Hello guys. I'm considering setting up a new secondary set-up away from my computer and cubase, centred around a hardware sequencer. Ideally I'd like something like the ESX-1 which would mean that I wouldn't need a seperate sampler and I like the grid entry style particularly for drums. I don't think Akai MPCs can input in grid style so that's why I'm looking at the Korg.

My question is would the Korg be suitable as the centre of a small MIDI setup where the other synths need to be controlled by the Korg? I don't mean sync their arpeggiators I mean actually sequence their notes. I have Casion VZ10m, Deep Bass 9, Emu Vintage Keys, Korg DW8000 (master keyboard and for it's great sound) which I'm thinking of using in the new set-up and would like these four to be sequenced by the Korg. Is this feasable?

Can you set the korg to sequence on different MIDI channels at the same time and if you do this do you lose some of the internal parts? I'd ideally like to have all the available samples being triggered internally on the ESX and then a further 3 or 4 parts triggered on my other synths via MIDI all from the ESX. I don't want to have to get a seperate slave sequencer for sequencing the other synths which is then merely triggered in sync with the ESX, that would be too messy.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Centrepiece Reply with quote

Fuzzmaster101 wrote:
I don't think Akai MPCs can input in grid style so that's why I'm looking at the Korg.

The third-party JJOS operating system for the MPC1000 and MPC2500 supports grid editing, but the official Akai OS doesn't.

Fuzzmaster101 wrote:

Can you set the korg to sequence on different MIDI channels at the same time and if you do this do you lose some of the internal parts? I'd ideally like to have all the available samples being triggered internally on the ESX and then a further 3 or 4 parts triggered on my other synths via MIDI all from the ESX.

The ESX can only sequence as many midi channels as it has parts, and if you don't want the ESX to sound at the same time as the external synths then you would have to lose some of its parts.
Fuzzmaster101

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that's what I needed to know. Thanks. I'm still tempted to get one. One final thing, I see that there are two "synth" parts. Are these the one's you'd have to use to, for instance, program a bassline or chord part on an external device or could you use any of the parts i.e. Drum parts/Stretch Parts?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure it does what I need it to do.
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. the drum parts all use the same midi channel (so just realised what I said earlier about as many channels as parts wasn't true - sorry!) Each part can have a different midi note number, but all on one channel.

the keyboard parts have a midi channel each, and send midi note numbers corresponding to the key pressed
Space-Machine

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncing Korg EM1 with a Yamaha MD4s multitrack mini-disc player, anyone know?

When either is in master mode nothing happens at all? That is midi out to midi in.

I have heard somewhere that the EM1 does drift, is that true.

Thanks
BARK!DOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etherium wrote:
make sure your sample is turned off in part edit on the tribe

....Does this exist on an EMX?
k-sweise

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question regarding whether or not it is possible to midi out the pattern data in the esx-1. I can assign the knobs to different elements in Ableton 8, but I would like to import my synth and drum data. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!
roxxx303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only own an EMX-1. This machine sends everything as midi-notes to the midi-out (playing patterns or the Arpeggiator), so you can record everything as midi-note-data to a Sequencer-program like Ableton Live, Cubase, Logic...
The Drums are on midi-channel 10, the Synth on midichannel 1-5.
I think on the ESX it will be the same, though you only have 2-Sample(Synth)-channels?!
djfrogstar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something strange is going on... I have a EMX in INT... midi cable going from OUT to an ESX MIDI IN... and the timing is off.. how can this be... and a week ago or so.. it worked fine...

figured it out... since all three electribes were going into ableton.. somehow the latency was putting the bpms off sync
Jesse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: microkorg + er1 midi Reply with quote

Hey, currently trying to sync the midi of my newly acquired ER1 mk1 with my microkorg. I'm trying to use the ER1 as a sequencer to trigger bass lines on the microkorg, which it can do, but it seems like specific note numbers will only be triggered by the hits of the percussion synths, audio ins, cymbals, etc. Because of this I can't make separate drum and synth patterns since the synth will only trigger alongside a certain drum sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the ER1 and Microkorg manuals don't seem to address this.
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: microkorg + er1 midi Reply with quote

Jesse wrote:
Hey, currently trying to sync the midi of my newly acquired ER1 mk1 with my microkorg. I'm trying to use the ER1 as a sequencer to trigger bass lines on the microkorg, which it can do, but it seems like specific note numbers will only be triggered by the hits of the percussion synths, audio ins, cymbals, etc. Because of this I can't make separate drum and synth patterns since the synth will only trigger alongside a certain drum sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated, the ER1 and Microkorg manuals don't seem to address this.

I don't think you can do that, except by turning the volume right down for a part so it you don't hear the relevant drum sound when that part triggers a note on the synth.

the electribe sequencers are good for building patterns with the electribes themselves but not very versatile, and not ideal for sequencing other gear. The ER1 is particularly limited and only uses a single midi channel and can only play 10 different notes on that channel, so if you use some of them for drums in the ER1 you don't have many left to use for external gear.
Headphones

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

So I have a Ea-1, ER-1, and now a EM-1. I've never had a problem with the ea-1/er-1 working together, but so far, having a tough time getting the ea-1/em-1 to work together (Because the ea-1 has 2 different midi channels for each synth, and the em-1 only has 1) and the same problem with er-1/em-1 (Doesn't matter which one is master and which one is slave, they both don't seem to sync besides the speed. It seems like not every sound the er-1 is doing on the same beat the em-1 is leading/following).

The manual for my em-1 page 24 mentions that you can hook the ea-1 & er-1 to the em-1, but only mentions what to do with the es-1 (which I don't own).

For instance, I've got the ea-1 being the slave (midi in) to the em-1 being master (midi out). Midi channel for the 2 ea-1's is set to 7, as is the em-1. I even set the midi filter from p to o on both machines. Hit play, and you'll hear the ea-1 doing it's own patterns, and the em-1 doing it's own patterns, but not the em-1 telling the ea-1 to do ITS patterns. Hit stop, and you can hear the ea-1 do morse code to the em-1's patterns, but nothing that really sounds like it's copying the em-1 (as far as I can tell).

I've even tried to sync all 3 together, but it seems once again that's not going to happen.

I'm stuck, so if anybody can help, I'd apprectiate it.
Pastor-of-Muppets
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headphones wrote:
(Because the ea-1 has 2 different midi channels for each synth, and the em-1 only has 1)

are you sure? the EA1 uses one midi channel per synth part (not two per synth) and I thought the EM1 was the same (the manual certainly says so)

I would try using one midi channel for EA1 part 1 and EM1 part 1, another channel for EA1 part 2 and Em1 part 2, and another for the ER1 and the EM1 drum part

if you just want note data to be sent by midi then try "---" in the midi filter settings, otherwise with P set to "o" the EA1 and ER1 might be playing their own patterns, not playing the note data coming from the EM1
Headphones

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out. It doesn't make sense, but it now works. Here's how I did it.

If the em-1 is the master, and the ea-1/er-1 is slaved, don't have the slave on the same midi channel as the em-1. (Let's say em-1's midi channel is 13, and the ea-1's is 10 & 16). Hit play on the em-1, and the ea will follow the em-1's patterns. If the em-1 does pattern b.01, so does the ea-1. (Keep in mind, I didn't even have to mess with the midi filter as well).

If you hook the em-1 & er-1 together however with different midi channels, the em-1 can get the er-1 to play along to the em-1's rhythms, but not the same patterns. (If em-1 has pattern b.01, the er-1 doesn't seem to follow. It might be on a different pattern, like say b.05) If you for some reason make the er-1 the master and the em-1 the slave, they'll still run different patterns, and the synths don't trigger. But it does thicken up the beats, and who knows? Maybe that's all you'd want if you had a different synth you were going to play live, or didn't need to be sync'd to the tribes....

For the life of me, this doesn't make much sense, but I'm not getting the morse code messages I did by having them on the same midi channel, so I'm not complaining! I always figured midi devices have to be on the same wavelength to the same midi channel so that one commands, the other follows, but I guess this means not always...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: