Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trinity of Worries ~ Left Output ~ Right Output ~ No Output

View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekthedalek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Trinity of Worries ~ Left Output ~ Right Output ~ No Output Reply with quote

This is my first visit to this forum and so far it has had the same effect as a laxitive !. I have a bog standard Trinity which is now 12 years old. OS Version 2.0.0.. I play in a covers/wedding band. I had the output problem a few times after the machine was about 6 years old (the first 6 years was spent in a residency) and found that a good whack on the underside of the beast done the trick. This silly but effective fix, led me to suspect a dry solder joint or loose connector was the cause. However, one night just before we started playing I noticed no sound from the right side. The slap on the ar-e didnt work and I was only able to play in mono. Next day, I opened it up and tested the sockets and found them to be fine. I tightened up all the connectors, put the back on and "Bobs yer Uncle" ...all working again. This was about a year ago and since then I have played it about six times with no problems (TOUCH WOOD). According to many of the posts, the common fix is relative to software, not a loose connector. MY QUESTION IS ~~ do you think this problem is hardware assembly or a software bug?. Either way, this IS a common fault and Korg should be upfront and admit it, and at least give some honest comment publicly. After all, this machine was not cheap and there are still thousands of musicians depending on its performance and reliabilty. I am about to go on the road in a new band and worried that this might happen again. Finally, The almost impossible to replace battery in my Trinity has never been replaced but is still reading 3.2 volts ?. Is this normal ?
Bazz02

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The output problem lies on the output board.Yes we all gave it a bang
the odd time but the only answer is to replace the board which is very simple.The hard part is getting one.I have a friend who had ordered
2 way back so I was lucky.What causes the problem is the constant weight
of the wrong type of jack plugs which gradually over time cracks the board.I mean a miniscule crack so small a lot of experienced guys cant pick up on.If you send it back to Korg they dont even try to repair it
they just replace it.

Hope this helps
derekthedalek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply Bazz. Do you know why some people find the (F5 Enter thing) software fix works ? or do you rekon its maybe two separate faults with the same symptom?. Also, do you know if the crack in the board would prevent sound to be output from the headphone socket in an emergency?

derekthedalek
Bazz02

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Headphone socket is a direct link to outputs 1and 2.
You should hear if the left output goes then the same applys to
headphones.That believe it not was one of Korgs selling points
the quality of the headphones.
Not sure about the software end.It never worked for me.
I have a guy who wants to sell a trinity of for parts(he dropped it).
So Ill let you know.
If your battery reads Ok fine.
Its one hellave machine Trinity.i sold my first one regrets all round.
But got a full loaded one last year.
Cheers Barry
derekthedalek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Bazz, your spot on ! It looks like we are talking about a hardware fault on this beast. It wasnt till I left the residency that this started happening. It was then I noticed that the sockets on the Trinity were not fixed to the body of the machine but are fixed to the output board inside. What a crazy design!. I have just made up new leads for going on the road and I'm using right angled Neutrick jacks which will hopefully cut down on the leverage on the sockets. I have also made up a good quality lead to go from the headphone socket to my keyboard mixer. After reading all these stories I am going to make the headphone socket the default from now on...With regards to the instrument itself and after playing in bands since 1969, I can honestly say, the Trinity is by far the best I have ever played. I recently looked at the M3, the Yamaha and the Roland equivalent and soon realized that they are not really made for gigging musicians but are more suited to budding airline pilots! Geeez what a load of useless crap they put on keyboards these days! The Trinity does what it says on the tin!. just a pity about these wee niggling faults.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: