Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

coming to the m3 soon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADMANN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: coming to the m3 soon Reply with quote

hey im an oasys owner but im thinking of selling it and just get an m3 cause i dont really think its worth the extra money after hearing the m3 i feel i can still get the same quality of sound for less,and it also is easier to navigate in my opinion coming from an extreme,?
whats your opinion on downgrading from an oasys to m3 also can you buy the m3 with the new 512 programs already installed?
Macca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Coming to the m3 Reply with quote

I had the Oasys for a year and then sold. I now have the m3 rack but also fantom X, V-synth gt, and Yam motif xs in the synth departments. Must say I found Oasys to be too much of a learning curve (or too time consuming) to be able to fully make use of it so the m3 in that respect is better value

I'm a karma fan and as this is fairly similar in both then the less expensive m3 was my better bet. I didn't personally like some of the Oasys attempts at producing decent renditions of some instruments - particularly orchestral. IMO the m3 does improve on some of those sounds. The sequencer in both is still poor. But as has been discussed many times, manufacturers assume that cubase, logic etc will be utilised by the musician as the principle means of composition

But - one thing about the Oasys. The sound quality still remains the best on the market. I can still remember the incredible clarity and stereo imagery in some of the karma fueled combi's - absolutely mind-boggling.

Another point about the m3 is that there will be more choice of 3rd party stuff etc as it is more mainstream

Not sure about the 512 progs.

Macca
Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oasys, M3 and Triton Extreme are almost identical in their operation (excepting Karma and audio tracks). You won't find the M3 any easier to use than the Oasys. The principle difference is how the machines make a noise and not how they operate. The sequencer, combi mode, program mode, disk/media mode, sampling mode, the management of drum kits, the open sampling system are the same on all three machines. When I moved from the Triton Classic to the Oasys I felt immediately at home, the Oasys still only support 8.3 filenames just like my Triton with it's floppy disk.

The couple of times I've tried an M3, I felt immediately at home with that too ... it was the Triton Extreme with Karma from the Oasys ... in colour ! Smile

Daz.
BADMANN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i def agree on the qrchestral stuff not that great i also dont like the strings and brass on the oasys much but i still feel that the m3 is just as good but for less
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
I can understand Sparkie's reasoning for switching, because the OASYS is a MASSIVE instrument and I can see his frustration and impatience with learning it.

I don't understand this ... unless you're programming sounds on the Oasys, using the Oasys is no more challenging than using the M3. The workflow and most everything is identical in operation as I have said.

Even if you're programming sounds, working with EDS and HD-1 is pretty much identical except you have the opportunity to use WaveSequences.

If the Oasys doesn't work for someone workflow wise, then buy a Motif or a Fantom-G, because using the M3 isn't going to fit you any better.

Daz.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
I might get flamed for this post

Well, to me you look more like a flamer than a flamee... Smile

First of all, writing in CAPITAL letters on a forum is considered SHOUTING and also RUDE. But you're really excited about the OASYS, and that's a good thing, I guess...

But. I don't really understand how anyone can justify getting an OASYS, when for the same cost you could literally get an entire home studio complete with several synths from different makes, samplers, virtual analogs, a decent mixer to mix them together and even throw in a laptop and some DAW for the same price as the OASYS.

That diversity alone must be a better choice than that one super synth (even if its sound quality is super and it has several synthesis methods incorporated into it).

I have no doubt that the OASYS is the best synth on the planet, but is it better than what you could cet for the same money spent on several smaller synths? I guess that's up to each and every one to decide. For me, I'd rather have many different synths than one OASYS.
Voltan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasys is actually pretty diverse itself Wink
rfoshaug

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is, and there's no doubt in my mind that it is a superb and extreme synthesizer workstation.

But when you look at the diversity of synths you can buy for the price of one OASYS, I'd rather have all those synths than one OASYS. If i had the money to choose. Which I don't. Wink
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfoshaug wrote:
Yes it is, and there's no doubt in my mind that it is a superb and extreme synthesizer workstation.

But when you look at the diversity of synths you can buy for the price of one OASYS, I'd rather have all those synths than one OASYS. If i had the money to choose. Which I don't. Wink

But, they're
- not all integrated into one self-contained set up,
- missing KARMA 2 malleability,
- not as open as the OASYS for the development and installation of new instruments (CX-3 Model Organ, Plucked Strings, LAC-1 Legacy Analog Collection, MOD-7 Wave Shaping VPM Synth, Brass and Woodwinds sample collection)
- missing the pristine a sound of the OASYS.

I've hardly touched my other gear since acquiring my OASYS 2 years ago.

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
stumppi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made decision not to even touch oasys before I have a good work and when I'm financially OK Smile Two weeks(about) and I'll get M3 !!!
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure about that ?

I noticed some hesitation in your response
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: