Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 spinoff?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: M3 spinoff? Reply with quote

This is either news or nonsense:

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12720

Maybe Sharp can confirm.

Confused
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: M3 spinoff? Reply with quote

Synthoid wrote:
This is either news or nonsense:
http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12720
Maybe Sharp can confirm.
Confused

He can't but I can Smile Wait a couple of more days Smile There's one serious M3 announcement pending as well...
In preparation for that, I like the work KORG has done with the M3 since they introduced it. First with Supercharge, now with the update that's coming out in a couple of days. I feel that they should see M3 sales pick up very soon, as well.
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here it is:

bkboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: M50 design Reply with quote

beautiful design: black chassis that won't get dirty easily, all text outside of buttons, no more of that 'arranger keyboard' look like on the m3! only thing 'missing' would be the sliders, color screen and radias/sampling expansion.

Last edited by bkboy on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:18 am; edited 3 times in total
silverdragonsound
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the info on it:

The workstations of the M50 series are intended for semi-professional musicians and home recording studios as well as composers and musicians on stage. They include the same ROM 256MB waveforms that fabulous M3 with sounds and combinations individuals dedicated to music. The M50 has a large number of specific tools to produce music: a sequencer 16 tracks, two powerful arpeggiators and a section "DRUM TRACK" (rhythmic pattern) you can use more than 600 pre rhythmic motifs. Touchscreen and 4 pads. Just a glance to see that the instruments of the M50 series are unparalleled. Made with quality materials, according to a design of an aesthetic success, these synths with something for everyone. The monochrome touchscreen facilitates exploitation. It also proposes numerous commissions material, including four assignable knobs, and four assignable 2switchs Pads assignable to agreements, controls MIDI, MIDI notes, etc. ... Two models are available: the M50-61 with 61 keys, and M50-88 with a weighted 88 keyboard "RH3".

The series M50 uses a new sound synthesis named EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis), a new multi-mode resonant filter, a new parameter "Drive" recreating the harmonic distortion for analog sounds, increased opportunities for modulation and AMS PCM engine (HD-1) offering up to 4 stereo oscillators per voice. It is equipped with 256 MB of memory waveforms (1077 multisamples and 1609 drum samples). It offers 80 notes of polyphony and the number of programs 608 expandable to 1248 and from 384 combinations expandable to 896. A new feature Drums Track offering real-time programme or in combination with a library of over 669 patterns changed. The sequencer 16 tracks includes ergonomic features familiar to KORG. As the function One Touch Setup for example, which allows the user to play a program or combi ready to register, RPPR, Cue List, the Template Song, or its new 480PPQ resolution. Preset rhythms includes patterns can be used to instantly create a rhythm track. The closure of individual track allows the user to set up small parts of loops (like a groove machine).

- Generator-wise sounds with a memory four times larger than the previous TR.
- with GUI monochrome touchscreen.
- 16 MIDI tracks.
- Multi-effects offering: 5 insertions 2 masters 1 General with a 3-band equalization for each party with a total of 170 types of effects.

The way I read it; M3 but no sampler, no audio in, no Karma, no midi through and no Radias EXB (or any other expansion?)

No Audio in is a potential deal killer and I would have loved to have Karma. Maybe Karma could be an on. That would be nice.
bkboy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the specs: finally 5 insert effects! This means that the new flagship (successor of M3) will have >5 inserts. Like Roland.

I agree the audio-in is needed, Roland Juno-G has audio-in and it's a killer feature for vocals (live with reverb/effects), and sampling.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also karma is a killer features w/ respect to direct competitor imho.

Karma II is much more advanced and rich then what you can find even on Motif XS and Fantom G.

having also a downgraded versione of Karma II (or Karma) in M50 would be a great add-on

EDIT: also do not see in the picture posted in the M50-3d in Latest News, any USB port for storage, it seems there is only USB to host. instead it seems korg prefer a card slot. having a sequencer this is a great error imho.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it comes with vsti editor.

buttons on M50 are the ugliest thing i ever saw.
but I'm very glad KORG hasn't forgotten Workstations,
I thought they are all into Auto-Arrangers now.

it's very beautiful.
(korg hasn't released any good looking workstations since Triton Studio, or maybe even Trinity)

good thing they are keeping the Workstation line. (even thou m50 vs. MotifXS or Fantom-G is a looser)

not that I hate Karma, but i think karma should be a different workstation line. (remember original Karma days):
Karma line: no sampler, more real-time controls, etc..
Workstation line: All pro-features except karma, more studio options.
auto-Arranger line: coffee holder, engine that will sing by itself, video games, pink chasis, 2 octaves etc... who cares..
Rob Sherratt
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vEddY

What was the serious M3 announcement? Was it the M50?
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
also karma is a killer features w/ respect to direct competitor imho.

Karma II is much more advanced and rich then what you can find even on Motif XS and Fantom G.

having also a downgraded versione of Karma II (or Karma) in M50 would be a great add-on

EDIT: also do not see in the picture posted in the M50-3d in Latest News, any USB port for storage, it seems there is only USB to host. instead it seems korg prefer a card slot. having a sequencer this is a great error imho.

Hi Kimu,
As I mentioned in the other thread, it does NOT appear that the M50 will have KARMA technology onboard. I'm sorry, if this is true (need to wait for the official announcement), I really don't know why Korg decided to leave this amazing feature out other than to surmise that this new spin off is in the nature of the Korg TR vis a vis the Triton - i.e. a stripped down version. For those who do not require KARMA, this may be sufficient. However, if the price differential between an M50 and an M3 can't be justified given the missing features, then potential buyers will have to decide which version of M to zero in on. Nevertheless, for those who cannot afford an OASYS, the M3 is the better way to go in my opinion.

Now, if the M50's PCG has a close enough match up with the M3, it's possible that Karma Lab may develop tools to incorporate KARMA technology via computer interface similar to the Karma Triton software.
Cheers,
Eric

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm personally more interested in M50 rather than M3.
the only disappointment is: no color screen, just 6 banks, no ribbon.

will there be 73/76, 88 key versions?

Price: http://www.keymusic.com/details.asp?prodid=105673&ac=cl&ln=EN
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
The endless possibilities are fantastic, but GIVE US THE OPTION TO CREATE USER GE'S ON-BOARD AND MAKE IT EASIER TO USE!!!

I would like to go on the record as saying that this feature is already possible in Korg Workstations (automatic GE creation from phrases in sequencer mode) but it's up to them to implement it, not ME. In other words, I've already created the feature and the code, in my software engine. But it needs to be put into the keyboard and have some interface connected to it. That's up to Korg. I can beg, and kick, and scream, and it has no effect. Wink

The KARMA Oasys software allows you to create your own GEs, and edit them in ways that will likely never be available on the keyboard. I can't remember whether you have it or not...

Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
sani

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverdragonsound wrote:
Here's the info on it:

The workstations of the M50 series are intended for semi-professional musicians and home recording studios as well as composers and musicians on stage.

I consider the lack of a sampler, or better, the lack of ability to load own samples as a big minus. A lot of gigging musicians need this feature and that is what I liked so far on Korg keyboards: no experiments like Yamaha (MO series without sampling) or Roland (initial release of Fantom G without sampling). Now, they are abandoning this.
The Le and TR had this option. Now they are putting out the next LE version without this. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: