Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton Extreme vs. M50
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Triton Extreme vs. M50 Reply with quote

the "versus thread" had to come some time...

I currently have Triton Extreme,(and TR-RACK that I will keep forever!)
and Now since M50 has VSTi Editor I plan on switching from triton to M50.

I've also owned OASYS, but I preferred some sounds in Triton Extreme over OASYS.
M50 is based on M3/OASYS sounds,
but the thing that scares me is: M50 has only 6 banks!
if M50 isn't expandable I will miss Triton Extreme sounds.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see 6 banks limiting in any way.

I have Extreme also and erased so many sounds I didn't used that I freed up complete four banks and made them my user banks where I store my sounds.

I think too that M50 is designed to be giging tool.

But Korg should really consider making some sampler expansion. Without sampler, it's just not complete workstation.
bkboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sampler and VA expansions should have been options, and audio-in should have been a necessity like on the roland juno-g.

Without audio-in, no vocals, etc.

However, I do understand Korg promoting this as an add-on board instead of a full workstation. Still, why not have some cool features (Juno-G is hard to beat in that area).

Its still good though to see 5 insert effects! (instead of the extremely limiting 1 insert on the TR and Triton LE series). Now if M50 has EXB-SMPL like on the TR series, it will be something I will buy!
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, this isn't really a Studio Workstation neither Performance Keyboard....

I used to own oasys, but I preferred many sounds in Triton Extreme over Oasys's sounds. that's why i'm worried about just 6 banks in m50.
bquarrie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the sampler should have been an option too...

I'm glad about the 5 insert effects, 2 masters and global EQ etc. (does it still have the 3-band EQ on each track like the M3? I hope so!)

This keyboard does looks gorgeous though - like a spruced-up design of the classic M1 - to me from a design perspective this looks like it belongs to the 'M' family than the M3 does.

And no vacuum tube concerns either. I'm also hoping the build quality is good for a light keyboard..

My Music webpage:

www.soundclick.com/bryanqproductions
Hugo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bquarrie wrote:
(does it still have the 3-band EQ on each track like the M3? I hope so!)

Indeed it does. Second the want for a sampler. When they could do it for the Triton Le, why not this one? A sampler would have made the difference for me.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont wanna be rude but EXTREME vs M50??? Its funny.
demonp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:

Why not? In combi mode M50 has 16 timbres instead of 8 in extreme. That is the only plus.
shrike
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In combi mode M50 has 16 timbres instead of 8 in extreme.

That's no argument FOR M50 when compared to Extreme, in terms of usability or advancement. The same goes for M3, which also supports 16 timbres in combi.

Extreme's 16 channel sequencer can serve as 16 timbre combi. I use few such "combinations" on my Extreme.

So, there is nothing fancy about having 16 timbres in combi.

M50's strength lies in EQ per timbre, which Extreme lacks of, and in EDS system, borrowed from flagship M3, which guaranties long time of compatibility, since EDS is probably going to be here for some time (Triton's HI were exploited for seven years) and some features non present in HI system.

But as for now, M50 lacks features (sampler, aftertouch) which are vital for someone who got accustomed to use them.
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:

Well, Extreme is much better in the:
sounds, imo,
more Arpegios,
more Program banks,
vacuum tube,
after touch,
ribbon,
better joystick imo,

but M50's:
VSTi Editor,
software control,
track eq,
total FX.

If Extreme and M50 would be made into one workstation, that would be the best Workstation, for me.

I would have bought the M3, but: Karma and Sampling is something that I never used in my production (when i had an OASYS 76: I never even used audio tracks. and internal sequencer very little ).
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget, you're talking about two very different classes of 'workstation'.

Extreme vs M50 is like OASYS vs M50 or Extreme vs TR.

The M50 is to the M3 and the OASYS what TR and Triton LE are to the Triton range.

I currently use a TR and find it does sound really nice, but some of the sounds are less than believable, often dark. brighter sounds will cut through the mix better, but you can still make them dark with the filters, eq, IF need be. with Triton range you are stuck with the character of the sounds, in some cases more is better - because you can make it less. I always say this about harmonics (its why i prefer my steinberger bass to say, a jazz bass. it has a really bright metal character which i can then dim down with EQ or filters when I need something more subtle).

And I think i can certainly say that, the vast majority of TR and LE users have not even bothered giving a second thought to buying the sampling extension. Most of us don't even need it. okay from what i'm reading we can't even load samples from disk/SD card. if thats right then i might be a little dissapointed, even though I still have yet to buy any sample RAM for my TR and I may never even get around to playing with that feature.
And the whopping amount of samples makes it less possible that you are going to want to load different samples into it anyway.

But whilat we are on the subject, basically of HI versues EDS;
The HI engine has per voice drive, like on the radias. now I havn't played around with M3 or M50 extensively yet because I don't own one, but the drive on my Radias sounds pretty sweet, and smoothes out nicely without peaking. Not quite like your real tubes, but it can still sound pretty warm if you can find that sweet spot.
Lets also talk about filters,
As far as i'm aware, the EDS engine has up to two multimode resonant filters(correct me if i'm wrong). The HI engine in the extreme and similar only has two (high and low pass) NON-resonant filters or ONE low pass resonant filter.
it also sounds to me like the EDS engine is completely in stereo.

Now, one feature i do use a lot is the aftertouch. This is one thing which makes it difficult to sell the M50 to me (apart from my current lack of funds Rolling Eyes ).
but it responds to aftertouch. so what? I use my TR or my K1 (which I bought specifically as a 61-key controller with aftertouch, dirt cheap) to control it for sounds that do need aftertouch (I use a very integrated midi setup anyway, anything can be controlled from any keyboard).

If it means that I can get some of the M3 sounds for under £900 I think it is worth it. hell, my TR almost cost that much when I bought it.

But if you're looking to compare with the extreme, you're picking the wrong fight. The extreme should be compared with the M3.
Beats

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg, all the guys from Korg--I love the price, but I would have no doubt payed even more money for this keyboard, if only it had a sampling option.

The EDS, and 5FXS is not worth trading in my TR for, which has the sampling option. I love the allure of just having one board to get musical jobs done.

Don't take this the wrong way, I appreciate your products Korg, but to me the M50, without a sampling option is just a performance stage piano.
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's hard to compare instruments on the basis of spec sheets. I think the test will be to compare what they actually sound like, once the M50 shows up in stores.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beats wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way, I appreciate your products Korg, but to me the M50, without a sampling option is just a performance stage piano.

I don't sample (until now I didn't need to do it), but, neverthless, it's hard to think that my M3 is simply a stage piano instead a synth workstation.
And M50 engine is M3 without sampling option.. Wink Smile
Beats

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, you have a point. I guess I really would have to hear the M50 in person. It's the drums that I am reffering to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: