Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triton Extreme vs. M50
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I know that a-lot-speaking/able-to-judge-and-constructing-everything-better-then-everyone phenomenon are also in this forum.
Good.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinity wasn't something, it still IS something!
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best synth engine of korg is the one of the M1.
depulse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnet basowy wrote:
The best synth engine of korg is the one of the M1.

Yes, the deep, fat non-resonant filters. The handling of stereo samples. The intense multi-sampling. The hifi-effects. I totally agree with you.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think that my sarcasm has not been appreciated... Wink
Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have M1 vsti, i only got it for "pad piano", "universe", "bambu trem", and "koto trem", and other great sounds.

maybe it's not the synth engines that matter ( i don't know much about them anyways). this is what i can tell:
about Access vs. HI:
trinity's (in my case: tr-rack) "[90's piano]" leaves triton's "90's piano" in the dust.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Vadim wrote:
I have M1 vsti, i only got it for "pad piano", "universe", "bambu trem", and "koto trem", and other great sounds.

maybe it's not the synth engines that matter ( i don't know much about them anyways). this is what i can tell:
about Access vs. HI:
trinity's (in my case: tr-rack) "[90's piano]" leaves triton's "90's piano" in the dust.

Yes! that is a PRIME example of the differences between the Trinity and Triton. I can say the same about the OASYS vs. Trinity on that program. SO MUCH better on the Trinity! But then, OASYS Pads vs. Trinity Pads? OASYS wins by 1000 miles! Another PRIME example: Phantom of Tines. It is SO much deeper and smoother on the Trinity!

The thing I don't like about the Trinity is the lack of arps, polyphony, and the effects and LFO's do not sync to MIDI. This is where the Triton, M50, and M3 come in.

Sina

Imagine if KORG re-released the Trinity,
but with: more program banks, arpegiator (personally, i would NOT want the arpegiator), better sequencer, color screen, more poly, vsti editor, usb, realtime control knobs, oasys's fx routing, etc...

i bet this new trinity would outsell, Oasys, m3 and m50 put together.
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
Vadim wrote:

about Access vs. HI:

Yes! that is a PRIME example of the differences between the Trinity and Triton. I can say the same about the OASYS vs. Trinity on that program. SO MUCH better on the Trinity! But then, OASYS Pads vs. Trinity Pads? OASYS wins by 1000 miles! Another PRIME example: Phantom of Tines. It is SO much deeper and smoother on the Trinity!

The thing I don't like about the Trinity is the lack of arps, polyphony, and the effects and LFO's do not sync to MIDI. This is where the Triton, M50, and M3 come in.

Sina

Imagine if KORG re-released the Trinity,
but with: more program banks, arpegiator (personally, i would NOT want the arpegiator), better sequencer, color screen, more poly, vsti editor, usb, realtime control knobs, oasys's fx routing, etc...

i bet this new trinity would outsell, Oasys, m3 and m50 put together.

...and in the original silver I hope Smile

I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

The higher ups @ Korg have to know there's a die hard Trinity following, I wonder if they'd ever do such a thing?

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
mobetta518

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I would PREORDER a new version of Trinity, that would be the biggest selling board of all time...the ony remade keyboard that could top that is if EMU/Ensoniq released a new version of the ASR-10 with 1 gig sampling, sounds included..man, if only...
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: M50 vs Triton Edited: second time around with OS upgraded Reply with quote

I upgraded the M50 OS effortlessly and installed Vintage Keys. Not what I personally was looking for but the lessons and potential of these new sounds are excelent and deep and humbling. Each sound needs time spent using/learning to comment on with any authority. With more time comparing the M50 to the Triton I can say I am keeping it basically because it can sample. If M50 sampled I would sell it to pay the difference. It's sound quality to the M50 lags far behind in smoothness and never mixed with my M1s well to my ear. I may be the last guy here still using an M1 and only because I have 2 and a spare 3rd to get the polyphony needed just to play it and that gives me qasi poly after touch using a good controller split. The difference between the Triton and M50 is a very big improvement and in my mind this is the first Korg synth (OASYS excluded here) to truly replace the M1 and the Wavestation's deep sound while retaining qualities of the Trinity that I really liked and with a 2nd listen might prefer over the Triton from memory playing it. I am keeping WS A/D because of its excellent analog inputs, but it will collect some dust with the M50 out weighing it now. The more I use it, the more I like the way the M50 sounds, and can control sound. The next Flagship board from Korg is gona rip IMO but please Korg give us back poly aftertouch on it.
John^^

I had to turn on my Triton for this one. I wish it were an Extreme, the valve really made a nice improvement on some of it's voices AND they needed it IMO.

These are Synths and the M50 vs M88 thread I posted in buying the M50 shows they have the ability to be tweaked to how you like the sound with many people in agreement on the basics.

But out of the box with factory set presets I cannot say the Triton sounds as sweet as the M50, not by a mile. It’s like all wheel drive to rear wheel drive. The Triton sounds great of course but "hard" to my ear compared to the M50....and out of the box...well lets say the M88 at GC in Clacksvile doesn't 't sound as good as it used to after I reset it to see what was wrong with the M50 61 that did not sound as good as the M50 88 with everyone in the store agreeing making it seem the M50 a lesser sounding or broken synth due to cheaper, or in my fearful mind at the time comparing the two, graded parts ....very, very time consuming to do BTW but some DACs from same run do sound better and fetch a higher price in high-end audio....but low end sound quality is catching up to high end with technology improvements and the M50 is a good example of that flow direction not that's it low end if it sounds better than the M1....not be sarcastic;-)

The M50 takes deeper independent breaths and is smoother sounding.....catching up with the space cowboys over at the OASYS gathering licking their chops right now with a lot of time to explore after Korg gifted them with some new bricks to build with.

John^^

Last edited by John Hendry on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:35 am; edited 2 times in total
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vadim wrote:
BasariStudios wrote:
I dont wanna be rude but EXTREME vs M50??? Its funny.

Well, Extreme is much better in the:
sounds, imo,
more Arpegios,
more Program banks,
vacuum tube,
after touch,
ribbon,
better joystick imo,

but M50's:
VSTi Editor,
software control,
track eq,
total FX.

If Extreme and M50 would be made into one workstation, that would be the best Workstation, for me.

I would have bought the M3, but: Karma and Sampling is something that I never used in my production (when i had an OASYS 76: I never even used audio tracks. and internal sequencer very little ).

I'm going with the M50 73 as soon as it hits,

But the M50 beats the Extreme in other areas also:

256MB vs. 160 MB of samples
1077 vs. 962 multisamples
1609 vs. 1175 drum samples

and more importantly, the M50 is STILL IN WARRANTY!

I've been looking for a 76 key Extreme for a long time to use as my "playing out" board so I can leave my loaded Triton Pro at home. But the more I look at the M50 I realize it's better than the Extreme for me for the above reasons, and it's MUCH lighter, and I *NEVER* use a sampler live. I also couldn't use the M3 because it lacks the arpeggiator (Mr. Kay himself said the Karma can't do simple arpeggios which I *DO* use live). Tack on the fact that a new M50 is cheaper than a fully loaded used Triton Pro, and it was an easy decision.

The M3 is an awesome workstation, but I don't need all that stuff live. I need THAT stuff in the studio. I need a simple board with useful and tweakable sounds live and that's what the M50 is.

Favorite quote from a review of the M50:

http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/korg-m50-upping/dec-08/90833

“It’s more like they squeezed everything I liked about the full-blown Triton Extreme into more contemporary, sweeter-sounding hardware.”

And after reading the review, I'm now debating the 88 key version. If I can do Foreplay on it cleanly, it'll be the first weighted keyboard I've played that could do it.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).

Last edited by McHale on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McHale,

FYI: The M3 most certainly DOES have an arp. built in. Basically the same as the M50, but my understanding, a little harder to learn, but MUCH faster to set-up after you understand it.

I think what he meant was the Karma arp is NOT as "Simple" (techically speaking) as the M50..

I've never played with the ARP in the M3, so I can't say on that.

But I assure you, Stephen at Karma has got it going on,,, if he changed something, it's for GOOD reason...

Could someone confirm I'm correct on this statement!

Thanks!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: