Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a sampler function/ M-50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coasterfreakg25

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: What is a sampler function/ M-50 Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm brand new to this workstation/synth stuff and when I was reading the M50 vs. TR thread, I heard you guys mention alot that the M50 had no "sampler function". What does this mean? And is it a reason to not buy the M50? Thanks.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

All the sounds on the M50 are generated by Multisamples processed by the Sound Engine.
A multisample is a collection of recording much like wave files, only they are assembled in a very specific way that allows you to play any key on the keyboard and hear that recording play back in the pitch you pressed.

Sampling is a mode on a keyboard that allows you to add your multisamples to the keyboard, and it's also a means to load third party sample libraries.

Quote:
And is it a reason to not buy the M50? Thanks

Not at all.
Sampling is an art anyway. It's not something you can do just because they keyboard has the ability to sample. Sampling is a skill some people have, and some will never have. It's a very deep subject and when you get into Looping samples, well.... that's where most people fail. Creating a seamless loop is not easy.

Regards.
Sharp.

Last edited by Sharp on Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
keego

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very True. I for one wouldn't know where to begin with sampling.

The question to ask yourself is what do I need the keyboard for?

If its just playing in your bedroom then there is no point spending lots on a synth (Unless thats your thing).

A lot of people like to add either their own or third party samples for the purpose of playing live that the synth no matter how good can not generate from the on board synthesis.

I personally prefer workstations with a sample option just for the purpose of being able to add multisamples to the existing soundset and then program sounds around that.

Just my two penneth Wink

Previous:
Korg:X5D,Wavestation, N364, Trinity,Triton Classic,Triton Studio, Korg M3 61 w/ EXB-Radias
Ensoniq:TS12, SD1, ASR10
Roland:XP10, JD-800, Roland XV88, A90ex
Kurzweil:K2500RS, K2661, PC3
Nord: Electro 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: