Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is the 73 key version of the M50?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crybaby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Where is the 73 key version of the M50? Reply with quote

I've noticed that some of the 61 key and 88 key M50s are showing up for sale at some of the online retail music sites. No 73 key models tho. What's the scoop on the release of the 73 key version or is it not going to be manufactured?

Last edited by crybaby on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrT-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I read that there *will* be a 76 key version (correct me if I'm wrong, if someone else knows any different), but the pricing/details weren't disclosed yet on that one... so maybe it'll come out a bit after the 61 & 88 key versions.
lcmorley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 76 key.

They are releasing a 73-key. Still don't understand why they are going down this route.

Please checkout my music at www.soundcloud.com/lcmorley

My Gear History (from 11 years old until now):
Yamaha PSR-31, Technics KN1000, Technics KN5000, Technics KN7000, Korg PA-80, Korg Triton Classic, Microkorg, Korg Triton Studio, Alesis Ion, Korg Legacy Collection, Korg Triton Extreme, Roland Juno D, Access Virus TI 2, Korg M3, Korg Oasys, Roland TR-8, Korg Kronos 2 88 Platinum.
RussBreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: 76, please Reply with quote

I am under the impression and impressed with the fact that Korg really seems to listen to its customers. What I would like to know then, is which one of you customers asked for 73 keys instead of 76!? Now see what you have done! I thought the 73 of the M3 was a mistake, since the TRiton family and Oasys have versions with 76, but now with the M50 it seems as if Korg thinks 73 is 'better' and something that we want. For me it certainly is not.
I always thought 76 to be a compromise for those who need more than 61, but for (trans)portability reasons cannot go for the full 88. In that case every key less means being further from the ideal situation. More keys is better for playing acoustic piano parts, and for some flexibility in creating zones on your keyboard.
Things I learned to play on my present 76 keys no longer 'fit' on the new instruments.

I admit the 'standard' of 76 keys seems somewhat arbitrary, I mean, who said it should be exact 76 and go from E to G? But since there are so many instruments using that number in that layout, why not sticking with it for standard's sake? A quick google learns that manufacturers think they should all re-invent the 76-er. Korg with 73 from C to C, Clavia with 73 from F to F, CME with 76 from A to C..... Ok, which one is 'the best'? Which one is based on what we want?

And by the way, Yamaha has funny ideas in this area too: the keys on my Motif Classic7 are just a little bit smaller than those on my TR76 and Roland A33, and even than those on their own Motif6 and 8. For one key it's hardly noticable, but when you have studied or rehearsed on a 'standard' (be it 76 or not) and play a Classic7 during a concert, having to jump to a key an octave or two higher makes you (well, me) hit the next one too. That's not helping you know, playing for me is difficult enough without those traps.

So, I would like to ask for a return to the 'standard' 76 key E to G keyboard.

Enjoy
a.schemkes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy the 61 model (it save you money) and buy a 76 or 88 controller (they are very cheap right now) and hook it up by MIDI to the M50.
This way you can have a full piano (or any other sound) on the 76/88 controller AND a full synth or brass sound on the upper (M50) keys.
Works perfect, I already did it with a Roland XP60. Very very convinient in a live sitiuation.

So in any performance, program a piano sound (or whatever) to the 76/88 controller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: