Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

georgeinar - October - Halloween??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWho
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I made that comment was that a few words were difficult to make out. And then I played some of your other tunes and the vocal usually punched thru better. You voice is deep on some words and depending on what instruments are playing at that particular moment - can fight for the users ear.

So I don't know - maybe compression is good - I have really no experience with vocal processing.
Diego
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgeinar wrote:
Not really. I just added some reverb, some pitch bend and the notes of the chords I edited them to offset the pluck so they don't play all at once. These are very easy to do, in fact I almost didn't use the guitar because I was afraid it would sound too fake and keyboard-y.

No, absolutly no!
They don't sound unreal at all!
I like it so much, and I was seriously asking if they were real-recorded because they don't seems to come from the M3!

Veeeeeeery very good work!

Korg M3 with EXB Radias & EXB-256 onboard
MOTU Traveler - iBook G4
chordial
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention to detail, and it shows. From the drums to the pads and various hits.
I can imagine the amount of time you spent crafting all the parts.
Punchy arrangement, the bass really stands out for me, and as always love your lyrics.
JonSolo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lyrics! It definitely gave this song a new direction. I had not initially thought of that when I heard the music, so it goes to show what can happen when we see our inspiration through to the end...nothing short of greatness.

I too loved the guitar sounds. While I felt it was a keyboard, it is presented in such a way to convince the average listener that it was played from a guitar.

What I always enjoy with your music is the percussive nature from beginning to end. I have used that level of percussion in my instrumentals, but you have transcended into the ability to present it with vocals and it not overtake what you are trying to accomplish. Masterfully done.

Jon

http://www.solosounds.net
http://jonsolo.me
http://www.soundcloud.com/jonsolo
http://www.twitter.com/thejonsolo

Windows 10 | Intel i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Scarlett 18i20 | Nektar Panorama P6
Korg Kronos - 88 | Korg Kronos 2 - 61 | Roland Fantom 6 | Push 2 | Maschine Mk2 | Slate ML1 | JBL LSR308/310
Nuendo 11 | Ableton Live 11 | Reason 12 | FL Studio 20.9
ronbo27
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I think Quenton Tarantino might like to get his hands on this. I like the push of its tempo...how I wish I`d had access to this two years ago...it would have fit right into the "musical" we did at a high school...kids would have "freaked" for it. So glad it was saved from the fire as it`s a "keeper" for sure. I love the bass line as well...am a shameless bass playing wannabe.....Well done!
Cheers!
Ron.
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronbo27: don't get my hopes up on that Tarentino mention, would I be in heaven there. I love his movies, mostly and yes, his music is half the fun. What an honor that would be. As for the bass, hey sometimes I put an actual bass line in and sometimes it seems that bass is an afterthought. I do think this sort of thing needs the right bass track to lead the chords.

Jonsolo: about lyrics. Your current song as well as the Tunesmith book influenced me to alter my rigid box of 4 measures of 4 lines all the way thru. I have trouble doing longer lines and shorter lines, which you did so well in your Circles. So if you notice I tacked on words that loosely rhyme eg 'understanding rivalry' where understanding rhymes within the verse yet rivalry rhymes with the other endings, sort of, kerosene and poetry. Anyway, the best part I think is that the ear is not expecting these last minute tucked in words and does break from the 4 line rhyme. I will explore more of this coming in my next songs.

chordial: you spend a lot of time on your tunes too, I can tell. But you're right, I nit-pick every note until it nearly becomes unbearable, there are moments when I think it's the worst song I've ever written, but mostly because everytime the hook goes thru my mind (even in my sleep) that I can't disassociate my own doubts about being able to pull off a well-crafted tune and I keep thinking 'that's that tune that has no possibility of becoming a decent original sounding song.' It's so weird when it's done I wonder why I doubted myself, but I do it every time on every song.
album cover
jazlover
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I add? Your skills and painstaking self critique manifest itself as very well crafted songs. If only I could produce such pieces!

Having said all that I humble add this....I wish you would consider doing more singing (even if in a section in the song). I can not critic your work (because you are so beyond me)...I should simply take extensive notes and thank you for sharing. However, as lacking as I am as a songwriter, I believe your songs would evolve into even a deeper level if you venture out into vocal land.
You work is very solid. Some people can't sing...err (shouldn't sing) but I believe you can. I think it would open new dimensions to your work. This is as close as I can get to critiquing you.

I learn from you, every time.

Thanks again brother!
sewa
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

I listened to the instrumental version first. The arrangement is very good (as usuall) showing a great attention to detail. Listening to vocal the second time, my first thought was how well it fits in. It is very well placed in the mix as well as the arrangement with all its 'twists and bends'. The lirics are easily comprehensible, even though there is a lot going on in the background. You did a pretty good job there.

sewa
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazlover, singing, funny you should mention that, because my new project I am attempting at some form of singing, stay tuned.

Sewa: I actually doubled the vocal, so there's a mono track and then a stereo vocal and I mixed the 2 to give my voice more width in the spectrum. When the music is very busy I find I have to do that to make it stand out enough. then I apply all my reverb over the top of the whole work to master it as one cohesive thing which usually puts it all into the same sound spectrum. I used to have a lot of trouble with the voice sounding outside the mix.
album cover
ellll
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

This is just really great and worth a number of listens.

It brings back memories of "Puttin' Out Fires With Gasoline...(or the Cat People) I believe it was, by D. Bowie....(just 'cause of the theme.....)

It is as usual, a lot of fun, and I believe very tight in prep...(At least to me....)

Good work as usual!!

My Regards, John (ellll) Very Happy
Dee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George

When the song started I started smiling already. You have so much imagination - that bass line is just great. And through the whole song there is so much going on in all the different parts - I will have to listen another couple of times, definitely.

And about singing....looking forward to your next one - I agree with Jazlover - you CAN sing. I remember the other songs where you actually "sang" were very good.

But having said that, you do have something really unique with your current vocal style.

And..once again...great lyrics!!

Dee Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: