Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed up with vocal equipment.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Fed up with vocal equipment. Reply with quote

Alright, I sing as well as play my Korg live, which, if you have done before can be rather challenging.

If that wasn't hard enough, I am using a very haphazardly put together rack for my vocal units. Right now, I have a Furman power conditioner, a chinsy Beringer de-esser "pre-amp" unit, and a guitar effects processor that obviously isn't made for vocals. Also, on my keyboard I put a volume control into the loop to adjust by hand. In the studio my friend lets me use his feedback eliminator because our place is in a concrete basement which is hell for feedback.

The last show I played, there were over 1000 people there and at our soundcheck the tech wasn't even able to get my vocals over the drums and guitars (for... some reason) so I pulled my rack and ran direct through to him. He said it helped a little but still couldn't get it loud enough. I played the whole show with no one able to hear me and literally pointed the monitors at the crowed halfway through the set, which actually did have vocals coming through them. I was told later that it indeed made a difference, hehe.

So, I need a new rack unit set up for vocals with each unit hopefully costing under 200 dollars or so...

Pre-amp
Vocal effects unit for light reverb etc
Feedback eliminator
Power conditioner
Small PA? (I don't even know if that would make sense but what if I could send more juice to the board and get my signal hotter?)

What do you guys think/recommend?
Grapite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the DBX Pro Vocal, worked great for my live setup for years, and I believe it will cover most of you needs.
Regards
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I did some reading up on that and it sounds pretty nice. Would be excellent to include pre-amp and effects in one unit. I did not notice if it had returns and sends for a loop etc.

I did notice however that it is discontinued, so I am curious what the company has created to replace it.
Grapite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it just has the mic or line in, and high, low and spdf out. Check out
http://cgi.ebay.com/DBX-PRO-VOCAL-REVERB-EFFECTS-RECORDING_W0QQitemZ380077116293QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380077116293&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C66%3A3%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Fatalmasterpiece

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked like a good deal, missed it though. I will keep my eyes open for one and also look into similar products.
kenackr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of mic are you using? Handheld on a stand? Cardioid pattern? Dynamic mic or condenser? Are you eating the mic?

What kind of power does the PA have? What kind of mixer? Could be he's not getting a hot enough signal. Is he setting up the board right and putting you through a mic input or maybe didn't flip the switch to cut the mic preamp in?

Try a hyper-cardioid condenser to cut down on feed back. Make sure you don't have any monitor facing the mic including bounce from it or the mains.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Audio / Visual All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: