Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50 test Drive At GC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
candlewick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: M50 test Drive At GC Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of putting an M50 61 through the paces about an hour ago. Other than the poor monitoring and a sales crew that had little to offer on the unit, I was very impressed. To get that kind of functionality out of a board at that pricepoint, is amazing. I am a die-hard KORG fan and have been from my first M1 through the korg X3 and my current triton LE76. The touch screen alone just begs me to purchase let alone the sound canvases possible. I'm looking to pick one up along with the Karma sofware and then integrate this unit in the basement studio along with 88-Key controller and the rest of my rig. I couldn't really get a read on the "feel" of the keybed. Pretty responsive, but some of the sounds are so rich and full when the arpeggiators are kicked in that there is a bias as to the feel. It seemed a bit lighter than the TR series but had plenty of spring. I was able to find my way around this board like chatting with an old friend. Great job KORG!!! Hopefully this board will allow KORG to make many new friends !!

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wait for GC's annual "Black Friday" sale (the day after Thanksgiving), you can get an M50 or M3 for 20% off!

Cool
candlewick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, thanks for the heads up !!!!

"I Need More Cowbell!!"
-Todd

TritonLE76,X3R, M50-61, TD6V V-drum module w/ Pintech Mesh Triggers
TkWall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to check out the m50 -61 yesterday. Only for about 20 minutes until the place filled with bozos all playing chopsticks at max volume.
Initial impressions....
Keybed is what I expected...not fantastic but not bad either. Quick return time. Kinda noisy (compared to the Motif beside it which was whisper quiet and cost twice as much). It always bugs me when the keys themselves make noise. And I found myself going for the aftertouch a few times. Although they had an 88, only tried it for a few seconds. Keybed and key action actually felt real good. Different from my Extreme-88, but still very pro-touch.
Sounds were great. Had my Senheiser studio headphones. I've spent a lot of time with the M-3 lately...seems like the same to me. Typical Korg samples. Some of the programmed arps seemed a tad uninspired. Button placement was perfect. Didn't think they felt cheap. Like them better than the M-3. Pads were fine.
Touch screen was a hair slower than my Extreme. Not enough to really bother me but it was noticeable.
Walked through about 25 combis real quick. Great majority were up to Korg standards.
Picked it up to check weight. It is light, but it seemed like it would be durable. Almost forgot how much freedom a light board gives you.
Didn't do much tweaking except for twist or two here and there. Will do more next time. Everything seemed very accessible. Miss separate controls for the arp settings but will get used to it quick.
Thought the joystick had a good feel and seemed like it would stay solid.

All in all, I think Korg has a real winner here. Will probably pick one up in the next month or two.

Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: