Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Korg arranger questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: General Korg arranger questions Reply with quote

I haven't had the opportunity to play any high-end arranger keyboards, so here are a few questions about Korg's PA series:

Do Korg's arrangers offer both programs and combinations like the Triton and the M3? Can you load PCG files from the Triton or M3 into the PA series arrangers?

Are the internal sounds totally programmable, or do you just have access to a few parameters and effects?

Are the arpeggiators (or whatever controls backing rhythms) user-programmable, and if so, can all of your edits be saved into on-board memory?

Do the drums and rhythm patterns offer lots of variations right out of the box?
nikola81

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have programs that are fully editable and saved as user programs, there are performances (something like combis on workstations)
On pa800 and pa2x you can load some triton pcg programs.
There is no arpeggiator, there are styles that are also fully programable
Yes, out of the box you have a lot of styles that cover almost every music genre, and there are lot of third party styles you can load.
My advice is to try somewhere some arranger just to get a general idea of what is it. It is totally different way of using it comparing to workstations (triton or M3), you wont have a lot of insert fx but pa1x and newer pa keyboards offer almost same functionality in sampling and sequencing (not as god as workstations but it is quite usable) on top of great back accompaniment.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikola81 wrote:
My advice is to try somewhere some arranger just to get a general idea of what is it.

That's the problem......no local music stores carry Korg PA keyboards.

Sad
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other comments?

Smile
philtipping

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak for the PA series, but Korg's earlier i30 arranger shows just how easy it is to knock up a backing track. The guide track & demo called News For You in the Work in Progress section on www.philizound.co.uk was made completely from one arrangement/style on the i30. I just enabled/disabled the various backing instruments throughout the song to provide the ebb and flow. All I provided was the chord sequence and melody with a few twiddly bits. Couldn't have done this so easily with a non-arranger machine as I haven't got the skill Sad Wink
Phil.
mikeis01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just about looked through all the arrangers and prices and quality......my opinion is that they all feel really cheap, like toys.....the more expesive rolands, yamaha tyros, and korg paX1 series feel a little better....as far as programing is concerned they all have some form of voice editing and voice "combining" ability....they lack arps because simply they are arrangers which use style files--->the ultimate apragiator (If you really think about it im correct).....if you want to load sampled voices you will need a keyboard which has a onboard sampler-->this costs more......so let me tell you what I did....I already owned a yamaha motif (great sounds-built in sampler)...so after testing all of them the best bang for your buck is the korg pa 50.....it sounds great and its really easy to learn....editing styles and sounds are not easy but no more difficult to learn than a pro keyboard.....it feels a little bit like crap...but for the price you are getting many pro features and sounds.....now if you have all the money in the world and do not own a pro keyboard with an onboard sampler then I would get the 76 key Korg Pa1X Elite or even better the Korg Pa2X these keyboards keys feel like a pro keyboard....they look sturdy and really well made and they sound simply wounderful.....
on the yamaha side I would go with the yamaha Tyros2 with its new megavoice technology
I would stay with a korg only because it seems that there are many forums and online sites/ style files for download and stuff
good luck
Mike
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on the questions asked.

Quote:
Do Korg's arrangers offer both programs and combinations like the Triton and the M3?

Programs yes, but with only 2 FX's, and the FX assigned to Program Upper 1 in Arranger MODE is the FX that is used on Upper 2 & 3.

Programs have 16 OCS's, so you can get a limited 8 part COMBI going within a progarm sound, but you don't get any sounds on the Arranger that play like COMBI sounds out of the box.

Quote:
Can you load PCG files from the Triton or M3 into the PA series arrangers?

No to the M3 sounds, and Yes to the Triton sounds.
All in IFX data is ignored, and the MFX data is imported backwards.

Quote:
Are the internal sounds totally programmable, or do you just have access to a few parameters and effects?

The sounds are totally programmable, and as detailed as a Synth, but you don't get any IFX, and there's a catch with the MFX's when you go back to Arranger mode and user the sounds there. (mentioned above)

Quote:
Are the arpeggiators (or whatever controls backing rhythms) user-programmable, and if so, can all of your edits be saved into on-board memory?

There's no Arpegs, but you do have two systems to work with.
1: The full arranger mode which allows 8 tracks to respond to your Chords
2: An additional feature called “Pads” which allows 1 track to respond to your chords in addition to the arranger mode. This feature is more like an Arpeg, only the data is not dynamic. It's just a pattern on a loop that will never change in the manner a arpeg will.

Quote:
Do the drums and rhythm patterns offer lots of variations right out of the box?

You get lots of styles, but you don't get many variations on the same theme. They have to cover every style of music so you only get a few of each.

Regards.
Sharp.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all......something to think about.

I wish local stores carried Korg arrangers. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: