Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 VS Roland Juno Stage. Opinions please!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FifthElement

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boynton wrote:
I compared both tonight. The JS is just a Fantom-X with a cheap plastic keyboard with weights installed. It's not a smooth response. Sort of clunky. And as always, horrible DX-7 EP sounds on the Roland. I was very psyched on the JS until I heard about the M50. Now having played both, I think the M50 wins hands down. Just wish they would release the 73. I hope that actually happens and was not just a marketing thing.

After trying both recently I fully agree. I always buy a 76/73 note board but now will go for a weighted keybed so the M50 88 fits the bill.

I've had most of the Roland ROMpler keyboards over the years and was going to go for the Juno Stage but the Fantom/XV sound set is now a bit dated. They have improved it again on the Stage but I was more impressed with the M50 pianos, EPs and organs particularly.

It may be just that they are "new" but they all sounded very "real" and dynamic to me. The variety of sounds (of pianos particularly) was impressive too - I don't think I hit a bad one in 20 mins of crashing through the patches!
John_J

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've placed an order for the Korg M50-61, arriving in a couple of weks. Smile
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_J wrote:
Ok, so I've placed an order for the Korg M50-61, arriving in a couple of weks. Smile

John,
Congrads! Your going to be VERY happy! I know I am.

The click out on the Juno CAN/DOES have serious benefits, but for me, I only run the M50 in mono, so I can use the other side/output.

The vocator, that would be cool to play with.. BUt I can do it with software easy enough for recording. Just can't duplicate it live (I don't think?)

The sequencer,, ya, it's weak compared to Cubase SX3,,, but to sit in my family room, with my 15lb keyboard on the footstool and recording basic ideas,,,, it's the ULTIMATE Sequencing deal! For what it is, it's AWESOME!
Major editing,,, like I said, I use SX3, NOTHING is easier messing with Midi editing, and the M50 is a VST instrument within SX3, it is TOTALLY a wicked studio setup along with being the best overall keyboard for a bass player to play as he is playing bass... So simple. Just setup Combis or Sequences, name them, set them up in the basic order of the sets, it works AWESOME!! And SO SIMPLE!!! For me, that was the 2nd most important issue..

But don't underestimate the M50, if you want complicated, break into the programs and making custom Combis,,, there is not much you can't do and learn it fairly easy (Comparatively speaking that is).

The ONLY downfall of the M50 (Keep in mind, this is a $1000 keyboard), you can't get custom samples to play with.. At least for now.. I predict Korg will figure out a way to expand memory on a budget for them, then sell the upgrade memory with a software deal for converting samples, then loading them into the M50... And that would make me just SO HAPPY!! I'd bet that's the plan.. For Marketing, it perfect. They release the M50, next year ,Yamaha & Roland will follow with a competitor. That would take the steam out of the M50,,, but then, release Sampling capabilities,,, Push it RIGHT back to the top! We shall see!!!!???

I just LOVE my M50 for what it is... If I wanted a $2k or $3k rig, then I would have gotten it.. I wanted AWESOME sounds with ease of learning/using.. If that is what your looking for,,,, the M50 will fit the bill PERFECT! (LOL,,, almost sounds like I work for Korg as a salesman!)

Let us know what you think once you get it!

Mike
John_J

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
John_J wrote:

John,
Congrads! Your going to be VERY happy! I know I am.

The click out on the Juno CAN/DOES have serious benefits, but for me, I only run the M50 in mono, so I can use the other side/output.

The vocator, that would be cool to play with.. BUt I can do it with software easy enough for recording. Just can't duplicate it live (I don't think?)

The sequencer,, ya, it's weak compared to Cubase SX3,,, but to sit in my family room, with my 15lb keyboard on the footstool and recording basic ideas,,,, it's the ULTIMATE Sequencing deal! For what it is, it's AWESOME!
Major editing,,, like I said, I use SX3, NOTHING is easier messing with Midi editing, and the M50 is a VST instrument within SX3, it is TOTALLY a wicked studio setup along with being the best overall keyboard for a bass player to play as he is playing bass... So simple. Just setup Combis or Sequences, name them, set them up in the basic order of the sets, it works AWESOME!! And SO SIMPLE!!! For me, that was the 2nd most important issue..

But don't underestimate the M50, if you want complicated, break into the programs and making custom Combis,,, there is not much you can't do and learn it fairly easy (Comparatively speaking that is).

The ONLY downfall of the M50 (Keep in mind, this is a $1000 keyboard), you can't get custom samples to play with.. At least for now.. I predict Korg will figure out a way to expand memory on a budget for them, then sell the upgrade memory with a software deal for converting samples, then loading them into the M50... And that would make me just SO HAPPY!! I'd bet that's the plan.. For Marketing, it perfect. They release the M50, next year ,Yamaha & Roland will follow with a competitor. That would take the steam out of the M50,,, but then, release Sampling capabilities,,, Push it RIGHT back to the top! We shall see!!!!???

I just LOVE my M50 for what it is... If I wanted a $2k or $3k rig, then I would have gotten it.. I wanted AWESOME sounds with ease of learning/using.. If that is what your looking for,,,, the M50 will fit the bill PERFECT! (LOL,,, almost sounds like I work for Korg as a salesman!)

Let us know what you think once you get it!

Mike

Thanks, Mike! Very Happy
I suppose if I miss the vocoder that much I could get a MicroKORG later on, or maybe just a Digitech floor-based multi-effects processor for vocals (not really a vocoder, this one).
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the M50-88 and the Juno Stage today.

Not even a contest. Winner: M50!
John_J

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My M50 just arrived! Very Happy
Gonna be messing around with it later, haha.
Now, have to rehearse for a presentation where I'm playing what I usually play, LEAD GUITAR!!! Wink
Xenomorph

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_J wrote:
Now, have to rehearse for a presentation where I'm playing what I usually play, LEAD GUITAR!!! Wink

Congrats Very Happy

Current: Pa5X, Nautilus
Past: M1, X5D, N364, Karma, X50, TR61, M50, micro-Korg, Triton Extreme, Pa3x, Roland Fantom 06, Akai mpc key61
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John_J wrote:

So John J,,

What you thinking so far of your new M50?

Here's a quick "How To" my son & I put together yesterday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDSADYTWe8

Have fun!

Mike
John_J

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
John_J wrote:

So John J,,

What you thinking so far of your new M50?

Here's a quick "How To" my son & I put together yesterday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huDSADYTWe8

Have fun!

Mike

Thanks so much, Mike! Very Happy
Watching the vid now. My M50 is still in its box, lol!
I was real busy today coz I was at rehearsal playing lead guitars in a band featuring the very first Malaysian Idol (as in American Idol, for Malaysia), Jaclyn Victor! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: