Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some program change questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Some program change questions Reply with quote

I'm going to be purchasing an M50 in the next week or two, but to hit the ground running with my other keyboard, I've got a couple questions.

1) If I use a footswitch set to program up and I'm in combi mode (so the footswitch should move to the next combi), do any individual timbres also have their program incremented in either the combi I was previously playing or the combi I'm changing to?

2) When switching to a new combi, do timbres automatically generate program change messages (in particular, EXT timbres)? In other words, if I have my M50 controlling another keyboard via MIDI and I want to automatically send the other keyboard a program change but don't want the other keyboard to respond to the combi change, can I do this by adding an EXT timbre to the new combi and sending a program change that way?

My other keyboard doesn't give me control over what MIDI to filter out, so I either have to listen to all program changes or none. I don't always want a combi change on the M50 to send a program change to the other keyboard, so I'm thinking I could set the global channel on the M50 to something the other keyboard doesn't respond to, and if changing to a particular combi should also cause the other keyboard to change programs, I can drop an EXT timbre in the combi I'm changing to. Will this work?

3) If I can send a program change with a timbre like I describe in question 2, which program change gets sent? The program of the particular timbre?

I don't just want to change my other keyboard along with the M50; I want to be able to say that combi 0 on the M50 corresponds to program 5 on my other keyboard, combi 1 corresponds to program 97 on the other keyboard, etc.

4) If a timbre is set to have no keyboard range, whether internal or external, will it use up polyphony? What about if the timbre has a keyboard range that doesn't span the full keyboard, and I play a note outside of that range? What about if the timbre's muted? I suspect the answer is no in all cases, just making sure I'm not missing something subtle.

5) If an EXT timbre is muted, does it send all MIDI messages to an external device, or does it just send messages other than note on/note off, or none at all? I figure that if I want an EXT timbre to act as a program changer, it's easiest to just mute the timbre instead of changing its keyboard range, but want to see if this is viable.
StudioMan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Some program change questions Reply with quote

kanthos wrote:
I'm going to be purchasing an M50 in the next week or two, but to hit the ground running with my other keyboard, I've got a couple questions.

1) If I use a footswitch set to program up and I'm in combi mode (so the footswitch should move to the next combi), do any individual timbres also have their program incremented in either the combi I was previously playing or the combi I'm changing to?

1) Just setup the same Timbres on the same channel in the two combis.

2) When switching to a new combi, do timbres automatically generate program change messages (in particular, EXT timbres)? In other words, if I have my M50 controlling another keyboard via MIDI and I want to automatically send the other keyboard a program change but don't want the other keyboard to respond to the combi change, can I do this by adding an EXT timbre to the new combi and sending a program change that way?

See answer to #1 above.

My other keyboard doesn't give me control over what MIDI to filter out, so I either have to listen to all program changes or none. I don't always want a combi change on the M50 to send a program change to the other keyboard, so I'm thinking I could set the global channel on the M50 to something the other keyboard doesn't respond to, and if changing to a particular combi should also cause the other keyboard to change programs, I can drop an EXT timbre in the combi I'm changing to. Will this work?

Ya, for the most part.

3) If I can send a program change with a timbre like I describe in question 2, which program change gets sent? The program of the particular timbre?

I would again just do it as answer 1 above.

I don't just want to change my other keyboard along with the M50; I want to be able to say that combi 0 on the M50 corresponds to program 5 on my other keyboard, combi 1 corresponds to program 97 on the other keyboard, etc.

That shouldn't be an issue on any set of keys.

4) If a timbre is set to have no keyboard range, whether internal or external, will it use up polyphony? What about if the timbre has a keyboard range that doesn't span the full keyboard, and I play a note outside of that range? What about if the timbre's muted? I suspect the answer is no in all cases, just making sure I'm not missing something subtle.

Not sure I understand this question.

5) If an EXT timbre is muted, does it send all MIDI messages to an external device, or does it just send messages other than note on/note off, or none at all? I figure that if I want an EXT timbre to act as a program changer, it's easiest to just mute the timbre instead of changing its keyboard range, but want to see if this is viable.

It depends how you have it setup.

I hope this helps.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: