Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50-61 or Motif XS-61
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korgagent

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: M50-61 or Motif XS-61 Reply with quote

I know, it´s a bit of an obsolet question,
but I am looking for a synth which I can control from my tenori-on, which is a sequenzer-synth with 16 layers programmable at the time. It has a nice own voice bank, but only 256 voices.
Now I am looking for the new M50 and alternativly for the motif XS. But: is it worth the price (M50 999Euro, XS 2399Euro)? Are the motif voices much better than the M50 voices?
From the voice-list I find many intersting voices and combinations in both. The sampling function of the XS is not useful for me, so what?
And Yamahas MO6 (which is also araound 999Euro) can´t compete with the M50 concerning voices and combinations.
What do you think? Question
Korg MicroX
StudioMan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korgagent,

I can say this,, I LOVE my M50, I ALMOST bought the M06 like 2 months ago, but decided to wait on the M50 (Which I am SO GLAD I did!).
I had an approx. $1000 budget in mind (Not actually being a keyboard player, more of a Bass/keyboard kind-of-guy). In this price range (Class), there is NOTHING else that comes even close to the M50..

The Motif has some nice sounds,, twice the $ worth, I'd say NO WAY! But for twice the $, you aren't just buying sounds that the M50 has, your getting more of a M3..

Look at the M3 to the Motif.

Then, if $ is no object,,, and you want the BEST ever made, get a Korg Oasys! Are the sounds 7 times better than the M50? Probably not, but it's more than just sounds your buying again..

Just my two cents!

Mike
meisenhower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing the M50 and Motif XS sound set, is apples and oranges. Both are great, but there are some stark differences between them. Better vs. Worse? No.

I think the array of sounds from both companies are complete and adequate, and it really boils down to personal preference.

I've always preferred Motif's acoustic & electric pianos, guitars, basses and brass instruments over most other manufacturers. I have a Motif ES6, and didn't find a significant improvement in the XS sound set.

After living with the M50-88 for a short time, both the acoustic and electric pianos have really grown on me, and I find I'm using them over Motif's (except for two of the rhodes sounds, which are best in class, period).

The guitars and basses in Motif are still far and away, better than Korg's (in my opinion), but Korg has the edge in dance and synth sounds.

If you don't care about sampling and advanced sequencing that Motif has, then there is no reason to consider an XS6. If it is the Motif soundset you seek, simply buy a Motif or MotifES rack (which can be had for around from 400-600 USD used), and buy the M50. Factor in ease of use and the touch screen and it's a no brainer for the M50. Problem solved.

I wouldn't consider the MO or MM lines from Yamaha, as 64 voice poly is a little shy for me.

At the end of the day, for the price point, you can't go wrong with the M50.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well M50 and Motif XS are keyboards in different market segment, the first is the "entry-level" korg workstation while the second is the yamaha flagship workstation.

a better comparison should be M50 and Juno-G / Juno Stage from Roland or M50 and Mo6/7/8 from yamaha (even this ones are quite old). (or Motif Xs and M3)

by the way, M50 currently is at the top in its price range, you cannot find a better workstation then this (even if i admit that some Juno Stage features are a real added value for live performance).

anyway M50 has almost the same amount of sample ROM of Motif XS (256MB vs 355MB) but the front panel and the touch screen makes much more easier to work with M50 than with a Motif.

if you think you major needs is more synth sound i think that with M50 won't be disappointed. if you think you need tons of guitars (electric or acoustic) then yamaha is still a little bit ahead with its samples.

but if you do not need the keys why do not have a look to Motif Xs rack ot to korg r3 (radias synth engine) or korg microX (lower price but old triton engine).
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said guys!

I totally agree! I did the research (detailed research), in it's class, NOTHING competes with the M50 to date. The M50 sound-set is GREAT! Nobody can argue that issue. It's all about ease of use. If you can use Windows or a Mac, you can figure out the M50.. Just point & click!

Readers,,, do a CLASS comparison! It's like comparing a $40k car to a $80k car... Does anyone really need to tell you which one is better over-all when one costs twice as much?

For the $,,, the M50 can't even come close to being beat!

My two cents!

Mike
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really KIDDING me???!!! M50 and XS? Anyone gone nutz???
M50 is a toy compared to XS but maybe for his needs is good.
I dont know, i am affraid to compare M3 to XS, not M50.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Are you really KIDDING me???!!! M50 and XS? I dont know, i am affraid to compare M3 to XS, not M50.

why afraid to compare M3 and XS? for many sides M3 is much better than XS...
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Are you really KIDDING me???!!! M50 and XS? Anyone gone nutz???
I dont know, i am affraid to compare M3 to XS, not M50.

Deja-vů Very Happy
I like toys! A lot! Wink I have two toys, and one is very very little, it's the Alesis Micron... can be a very hurting toy, especially if played together with the M50. Wink

Just to remember: M50 has the same rompler engine of the M3, so it has a flagship rompler engine. For keybed and build quality/feeling and connections well... it is an entry level.
StudioMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:

M50 a toy? Well, I suppose if you consider the MO6/MO8 a toy, then the M50 is a REALLY nice toy.
Some serious acts traveled with ONLY an MO6/MO8. Making millions of $ on the MO series... If simplicity is what someone wants, this class of keys is the ticket.

Me personally, I like the action of the M50-61,,, almost as much as I like the action on my cheezy little E-Mu X-board ( a budget controller I've used for over a year). I like a synth that comes up as fast as my fingers come up off the keys. So really, it's all about preference.
I have a real piano (A really nice one at that), I LOVE the feel of a real keyboard too.. But for synths, well,,, again, all about preference.

I did compare the M50 to the $3k+ rigs. And there is a difference without a doubt. But to my ears, sound quality was totally even up in my opinion. All the extras, well, if the extras only added maybe 5lbs to the scale, I may have stepped up to the plate.. But to add to the weight for giging, and add the learning curve, the M50 was the best deal for me personally.

I had my M50 for like 3 days before gigging with it (only used it on may 8 songs that 1st night, but still)... It was the first time I've played keys live in like 20 years.. With a complicated rig, I seriously doubt I would have tried it so soon.

Really, to me personally, all band & Studio gear is just toys. Probably the coolest "toy" on the market right now,,, the Oasys!
You know what they say,,,, "the only difference between men & boys, is the size and price of their toys!

Mike
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro, if you compare them to XS or M3 they are still Toys and i stand on it,
MO or M50 or Juno and the rest, Klarnet, dont mix apples and oranges,
Analog Emulation synth is one thing ompler is another, you cant compare.
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
Bro, if you compare them to XS or M3 they are still Toys and i stand on it,
MO or M50 or Juno and the rest, Klarnet, dont mix apples and oranges,
Analog Emulation synth is one thing ompler is another, you cant compare.

I didn't compare nothing Basari, you don't understand. I try to explain, maybe can help: I mentioned Alesis Micron to let you know that some inexpensive keyboards can do amazing things about sound quality, not related to their price. M50, having the same sounds of the M3, do this as well.
Are they toys? Well, if they are, I like these toys a lot, because they let me spare money with very little compromises on sound.
Is it more clear? Wink

bye
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its not more clear. If you use the machines profesionally and actually
compare them on GOOD speakers, like 3-4-5000$ pair you will be crying
when you hear the difference, yes, there is a big compromise on sound but
on pair of 200$ or computer speakers there aint much to it, not even on
Live Audio System since its noisy anyways. Then you'll see what a toy is.
Forget sound, what about other things??? No Aftertouch??? Hahahaha...
and yes for the price is good but nowhere near Pro.
meisenhower

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios:

With all due respect, I do believe you're being a little harsh about calling the M50 a "toy". I agree that they're apples and oranges, and both are damn fine fruit.

I currently own the Motif ES6 (but also lived with an XS8 for a while) and now have added the M50-88 and together they make a nice combo.

Is the Motif XS "deeper and wider" from a functional workstation standpoint? Absolutely. Not everyone needs sampling or the advanced sequencing applications that Motif offers. Is its sonic footprint, far superior to the M50? Not on your life. Some Motif sounds slay the M50 equivalent, but of others are quite similar sonic quality.

And before you jump in to say, I haven't listened on high quality monitors, I have (Genelec 1037C) and the M50 sounds measure up pretty well over all.

If I could have only ONE workstation, would I take the M50 over a Motif XS8? It depends on a number of factors. Budget? Overall features needed? It would be difficult, and I would likely go XS, but then I've previously used all the Motif functions, and wouldn't want to be without sampling and the other power features in Motif.

On the other hand I paid slightly over $1,600 for my M50-88 (on a special sale). The Motif XS8 is still hovering around $2,800 (best street price I've seen) and $3,100. To some, an additional $1,200-1,500 is a deal breaker, to some it's not.

At the end of the day, it's all a function of what you can do with your gear, not how much your equipment costs.
philobeddeo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basari,

I've been on several forums over the past 2 years,gathering product info,reviews,input & such and gear preference is subjective to a point,but the fact remains & prevails-that the M50 has the SAME synth engine as M3 and just that fact alone,implicitly reveals,that the M50 is NOT a toy.

I'm willing to bet that you have not spent any real time,combing through the sounds of the M50 for yourself in a store...in fact,I'm almost convinced that your opinions are based on internet demos & nothing more.

Just about every forum I have ever been on,has at least one over-educated,opinionated,arrogant,biased individual with a elitest,silver-spoon attitude-such as yourself.
Why is it that most everyone that's a software developer and/or a sound engineer with a formal education & a business,think they are the demi-god of the forum?
You seem to have no common sense or much in the way of any real world experience...what-did you just graduate college 6 months ago & you think you've got everything nailed down?

Your comments are way out of line,as they are unsubstantiated,unfounded,full of conjecture & rhetoric & just plain unrealistic.

I've been a Korg owner for 21 years..ever since the days of the Korg
DS-8 & you have no clue how ignorant your comments are...I suppose feel like a god with your profession,spouting your brain farts to all of the amatuer & semi-pro musicians here,but your comments actually indicate that you don't know jack about the M50.

-Philo
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philobeddeo wrote:
I'm willing to bet that you have not spent any real time,combing through the sounds of the M50 for yourself in a store...in fact,I'm almost convinced that your opinions are based on internet demos & nothing more.

I own an M3, i own XS, i had M50 for 2 weeks, and another 15 keyboards...
i also have 6 different pairs of Pro Studio Monitors and a Live Audio set.
Dont take my words Literary...the PA500 has the EXACT SAME ENGINE as
the PA2X, its half its price, 1 quarter of its abilities and in comparison sounds
like crap...SAME EXACT EGINE-ROM. Personal tastes, Budget, Needs cannot
be points and topics of debate and discussion. Maybe thats all you need, maybe
thats all you can afford, maybe thats what you like but dont make it something
thats its not, i am not saying its a bad synth, its just an entry level synth, not
even SemiPro...And thats what it is, it cant be nothing more, i am not saying
M50 is a Toy...all i am saying is in comparison to M3 or XS it is a Toy and i still
stand on it. I can write you a whole list of FACTS why it is a toy compared to
M3 or XS but i am talking FACTS not personal opinions, i go by facts, when
i get down to what i like then even the M3 i would call a toy compared to XS
but that doesnt make me right, thats only what i like, i have no right to push
that into someones beliefe but the facts of M3 and M50 are there for everyone.
It is an Amateur Entry Level Synth, it is Half the Price or Less, its built is a
TOY and noone can debate that, its outputs are not even one eith of M3s
and many other things, once you get this into perspective then its different
but as i said, we cant debate someones taste, budget and needs.

philobeddeo wrote:
You seem to have no common sense or much in the way of any real world experience...what-did you just graduate college 6 months ago & you think you've got everything nailed down?

Its only your first post on here, bow down first when you talk to me...and no,
not 6 months ago, i do sound designing and sampling somewhere since 1995
and i do sequencing since 1993, i know something of the real world, i have
my own albums and i also produced albums for many people and i also played
and play live too...
And yes, at the moment i know for sure i own more KORGs then you,
right now i own 11 KORGs machines, i had 10 and since last week i have 11.
And yes i feel like a god, i deserve it and worked hard for it.

meisenhower wrote:
With all due respect, I do believe you're being a little harsh about calling the M50 a "toy". I agree that they're apples and oranges, and both are damn fine fruit.

Bro, if you dont take the TOY out of context then it will make sense to you.
I am not calling it a Toy, i am calling it a Toy only in comparison with something
better not by itself, it is a good machine for its money.

No twisting words people please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: