Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M1's UNIVERSE patch converted for M50!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: M1's UNIVERSE patch converted for M50! Reply with quote

I've managed to do a fac-simile of the famous UNIVERSE patch of the M1 for the M50. It's not identical, but I think it works.

Download it here: http://www.webalice.it/amartignano/UNIVERSE.zip

I was not able to "isolate" the program, so, there are all the programs and combis of the M50 v1.1.0 plus the UNIVERSE patch, located in Program E096.
Please load ONLY the Program UNIVERSE in a program slot you want, without rewriting your work Wink

Enjoy

Andrew
John Hendry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Way to go...Thanks Reply with quote

Hay thanks Basowy! Will try it tonight. Ever mess with Luner Pad? Another great sound from the M1 IMO.

John^^
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the Lunar Pad program, I'll check it. Let me know if you like the Universe conversion.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Well done! Reply with quote

I am impressed with your M50 version of Universe. There are some great mechanics on this site. You left out a few of the “bubbles” and I am wondering how to make them but you certainly showed what can be done on the M50 and got the basic sound down well. When I have time I really want to mess with Luna-Pad and add the M50’s expanded capabilities to it as that was one M1 sound I never stopped using. The M50 is a great machine showing Korg’s progress is now past the W/S and M1 in “weight” of sound IMO while cleaning and smoothing it out without losing the feel of "bottom depth". However relative to the M50’s potential the stock sounds were made in a hurry IMO compared to the M1’s sounds and leave a lot of room for growth far more so than the M1 ever offered. I am finding the M50 far more to my liking than the Triton. I thought you were being serious about the M1 BTW. It has its own sound that reminds me of how one woman differs in beauty from another in a harem.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Well done! Reply with quote

John Hendry wrote:
I am finding the M50 far more to my liking than the Triton.

Seriously? That's a powerful statement and one that I'm glad to read. I just joined a new band and when I auditioned using my Triton Pro (classic) they all stated how great the sounds were: especially the piano (my $200 Grand Piano patch and another piano - both available in the downloads section here - EXB-08 Emulated). Since I've been the Triton for 10 years now, I can edit an existing patch to sound like what I'm after in a couple of minutes. And with the exception of some aliasing (typical of ROMplers), I can still get almost anything out of it I want. I've been waiting for a Triton Light (that didn't lose the 5 insert effects and 2 master effects) since the Triton came out and this is the first one that is exactly what I wanted (minus the better DAC's of course). What's sad is, I took back the M3 I bought because the M50 was a better choice for me on stage.

I'm tired of lugging 100 pounds (including flight case) up and down steps several times a week and am going with the M50-73 once it's released. My biggest fears of using the M50 as my only synth on stage is 1. the cheaper DAC's will make it sound thin and cheap and 2. the issues people are suffering will happen to me (sticking notes, patches changing on their own, etc).

It's nice to hear people who own them are still happy with them.

-Mc
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
John Hendry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: M50 and Triton Reply with quote

That's what worried me but over M1 sounds and I've never been in a show.

I have heard both the Trinity and the Triton classic both sound absolutely amazing. In the end the operator as both player and programmer is the bottom line of importance with this level of equipment and this was made quite obvious to me demo-ing the M50 61 and M50 88 where 88 sounded better, as if much better DACs.

In 2003 Korg started using Cirrus Logic ADCs and DACs in the Korg's Pa1X-series. I have never spent time with the Pa1 X series but know these DACs were claimed to offer superior audio performance and users report an improvement. The Pa1X incorporated the Cirrus CS5361 analog-to-digital converter @ 114 dB dynamic range and -105dB THD+N with 24-bit resolution and support for sample rates up to 192 kHz. The DAC used was the Cirrus' CS4396 high-performance digital to analog converter that delivers a 120 dB dynamic range.

I tried to find what is used in the M50/M3s as well as the Triton but have not found that information yet. Do you know what DACs are used in them? I spent a few days with the best known stuff excluding the OASYS and and M50 did not sound weak especialy the 88 tweaked. Based on listening the M50 sounds much smoother to me over the Triton and is the first board to my ear to not lose the qualities when programmed of the M1, O1W, WS in what I would describe as “depth” and having the Trinity’s blessing of sound detail called “tinty” sounding by some salesmen back when a WS was sitting next to it saying they wanted a JD800 even if it wasn’t practical. There was a “big” sound wanted back then going around that seemed to go from big to small rather abruptly for Korg. I heard it as Korg and Roland yin yang and mixed in a U220 and then a JD900. The Triton brought some "big" back after the Trinity and I see the M50 as real progress blending Korg’s “known” sounds together for a low note lieving stuff out I have but I needed USB and am beside myself to sit down with time and apply a few things I have learned. Glad to see you getting one and wish I had time for the Triton too to go through it as its just using orig sounds/settings and no midi computer setup to mess with it.

10 years is a long time in technology improvements listening to the golden ears of high end audio talk. So at some point low end has to catch up fairly close with normal high end where next transfer stage of amplification and source of expression (poly AT, etc) is the real consideration but real modeling for imagery I imagine is Korg’s direction through the OASYS and prestine sound perhaps with M50 apegs x2 or something along side KARMA at that stage. High end has always been about less and being simple of quality, qualities that lead to less cost in the end as things go digital and R/D has piled up. I see the polyphony and USB needed in the M50 for the types of sounds I like, as well as the guys that told me about Korg. It has “that deep” M and T presence that can be pulled out of it easier than past Korg attempts before the OASYS at $8.500. I like having KARMA and the simple apegs next to each other at choice to keep it simple finding my sound. I have had no gliths reported and wonder about A/C power or power plug loosig continuity while playing. I don't think the DACs used will hold you back.

Google: “Given the massive improvements in DACs in the last ten years, then I'd expect it to sound pretty crude by even today's budget standards. Those early DACs haven't matured like fine wines (or fine turntables)."

I’d like to know more about the Triton and never deserved to own it weighed on M1/WS depth covered in understanding and proper use to step it up. At the time I had real time to do this stuff it was hard to tie M1 to the WS through midi and I had A/C problems so data here today gone tomorrow even in hidden directories of neighbors machines I built. Today is amazing and worth the wait.

I think you are going to like the M50 a lot and you still have the Triton for sampling but would think you would prefer the M3’s sampling over the Triton and suffer some loss in quality? but I have never AB them together. After owning both what did you notice? Wonder about that since what I have but never really used outside of a few voice samples messing with it.

John^^
pillbug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, will your M1 Universe for M50 work in a Triton Extreme?

If not, does anyone know of a Universe patch for the Extreme?

Thanks
klarnet basowy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillbug wrote:
Hey, will your M1 Universe for M50 work in a Triton Extreme?

If not, does anyone know of a Universe patch for the Extreme?

Thanks

No, it doesn't work, the .pgc format is different, different ROM samples, different engine etc.
If you don't find the patch for the Extreme, try to do it yourself, it's a good game Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: