Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boost volume on M50
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhomse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Boost volume on M50 Reply with quote

Guys

Really looking forward for help.

I bought New Korg M50 a while ago. The problem I am facing is Volume is not boosted enough, not sure if its a default.

I need help on options, how can I boost my patches volume level so it can be heard. My other Friend plays his Roland Kb loud enough and my M50 sounds like a baby Smile

Please share your wisdom, I'll be highly obliged.

Thanks
Nilesh
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious about wanting to boost the volume. We need to know more than that. What kind of amp cables pre=amps, speakers ect. are you using to put sound out? Also we need to know what configuration everything is set to.
dhomse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much cSteen, I am newbie for synth programming.

Here you go.

I am using DI-20 through my Left (mono) output from Keyboard that goes to Amp. ( Qtr inch to DI and XLR from DI to Qtr inch into the AMP)

Its a 8 channel Amp where we ar using 800 watts speakers. Everyones (Guitarist, drums, bass and other Keyboardist) volume comes fine except mine.

Other Keyboardist is also connected to amp via DI Box.

I am using standard out of box Strings for testing.

Didn't understand about the config part...

Thanks
Nilesh
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the attenuation switch on the DI-20 to make sure that you're not introducing a -20db or -40db pad.
dhomse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, It was on 0 db, if it helps.

I also checked the Strings Volume on OSC and Master output, its 127.

It is using only one OSC and top level is 127.

I also want to set balance output levels for all my regular patches, but first thing is to get it loud
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for your response
Nilesh
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit of a puzzlement since the M50 can put out some pretty hot levels. We'll assume the volume fader on the M50 is maxed out (i.e., is slid all the way to the top position.) This in itself would be unusual since the board can drive most systems with the fader at 50%

Have you checked the audio cables? You're running ¼" to ¼" into the DI, then XLR to ¼" into the amp. Presumably, the DI-20 is putting out a mic level signal. Are you going into a line level input on the amp?
Another thing to look at is the impedence of the XLR->¼" cable. Just throwing things out there because the M50 is capable of some serious volume. You might try putting out to a different signal chain to independently test the board's output. Also, try running stereo in lieu of mono. Try and eliminate all of the possibilities if you can.

Hope this helps.
dhomse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the line from DI box is going into Line in in AMP.

The OSC is at Mono so will tried switching it to stereo , changed patch to strings, but didn't boost the Vol.

I would assume standard patches coming with M50 would be ready to go and would not need volume boost logically.

Will also check the Volume fader and raise it a notch if its at 50%. Where can I find fader???

I don't mind you throwing all possible options to boost the volume.

that helps, i will give it a try and post my feedback.

NIlesh
Ajbbklyn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might seem too basic, too obvious and perhaps a bit insulting. But, I'll run the risk of insult if it ultimately solves the problem:

billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main volume fader is left-most control on the upper panel (not the joystick)

[Edit: Nice graphic there Ajb...]

For what its worth, I've not heard of a general volume issue; I'd have to assume that either your volume was atypical or that something at the board was making a difference.

Have you tried plugging into the same signal path that the other keyboard is using? There is a possibility that your channel or the leads going to it are bad, or even that the channel of the board is faulty. Things to check at the board are the overall gain (usually the top-most knob), that there is no "pad" reducing your signal, that your channel is not panned extreme left or right, and that your setting copy those of the "working" channel, except that you may want to add some gain as needed. You can "A-B" the two keyboards setting the working channel at 0dB then bring your sound up to being even with that (also at 0dB) using the gain knob, at which point everything should work at about the same level on the board with enough headroom to push or pull volume as needed. One final thing that can mess you up from the board is Phantom power - make sure there's none on your channel - I had a recurring volume problem at church only using their system; no volume issues anywhere else; killed the phantom power on my channel and everything worked fine.

From the keyboard, check that your cables are all good, that your cables are properly seated in the DI (that may not be obvious at first glance, and you may want switch out the DI altogether to check if it is faulty), make sure that if your DI uses a battery that it isn't dead, make sure you aren't missing part of the signal by using a stereo vs mono line, make sure that your channel of the cable snake (if you use one) is functioning.

For individual sounds that are too low you can make some adjustments using EQ boost overall in the master effects or by putting a compressor into the insert effects chain.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...

Last edited by billbaker on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhomse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great Suggestion , Bill.

I will try this out again and drop my feedback.

My cables are all New , also bought M50 recently so should not have any leads or channel issues. Thats what I am hoping.

Volume Fader was a LOL, I thought it meant something else. But obviously We top out the Volume fader in such cases.

I liked your detailed suggestion of checking it on various places

Will post my feedback

Thanks so much
Nilesh
dimitra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it when you just remove the DI box from the chain? i.e. connect M50 directly to the Amp using 1/4" - 1/4" cable? The M50 is actually pretty loud. I have never had to go 50% on the volume slider/fader. Mine generally sits at about 25% and the sound is very decently loud.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ dimitra,

OP appears to be plugging into an 8 channel board (XLR) rather than a keyboard amp (1/4") which is why the DI is needed -- he's calling it an amp, but I think it's PA.

There may be 1/4" input connections (depends on the board) but unless it is being mixed from the stage the (assumed) length of the cable run (50' or more) would make DI and XLR the best way to ensure good signal getting to the board and from there to the front of house.

BB

+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
dhomse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres an update from your comments Bill

Have you tried plugging into the same signal path that the other keyboard is using? NO I didn't check that.

There is a possibility that your channel or the leads going to it are bad, or even that the channel of the board is faulty. Things to check at the board are the overall gain (usually the top-most knob), that there is no "pad" reducing your signal, that your channel is not panned extreme left or right,
PAN is 64, gain was around 70% on the Mixer

and that your setting copy those of the "working" channel, except that you may want to add some gain as needed. You can "A-B" the two keyboards setting the working channel at 0dB then bring your sound up to being even with that (also at 0dB) using the gain knob, at which point everything should work at about the same level on the board with enough headroom to push or pull volume as needed. One final thing that can mess you up from the board is Phantom power - make sure there's none on your channel - I had a recurring volume problem at church only using their system; no volume issues anywhere else; killed the phantom power on my channel and everything worked fine.
I didn't have Phantom power

From the keyboard, check that your cables are all good, that your cables are properly seated in the DI (that may not be obvious at first glance, and you may want switch out the DI altogether to check if it is faulty), make sure that if your DI uses a battery that it isn't dead, make sure you aren't missing part of the signal by using a stereo vs mono line, make sure that your channel of the cable snake (if you use one) is functioning.
Checked all is in good condition , No cable snake

For individual sounds that are too low you can make some adjustments using EQ boost overall in the master effects or by putting a compressor into the insert effects chain. When I added compressor it went up a bit and was better. Adding Talking Modulator changed the tone/timbre but it was very loud. I would go add Compressor to tones and bump it up. This really helped

@Dimitra, I had to use DI Box because there was a huming when I directl connect via 1/4" cable. I have Roland 350 Monitor and M50 works fine when I connect th'1/4" at home.

I am connected to 8 Channel Mixer which is 15 ft from my board : Alto ZMX122FX
[url][https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15170326070324373894?sclient=psy-ab&q=Alto+ZMX+122+fx&oq=Alto+ZMX+122+fx&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.59930103,bs.1,d.cGU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.drS7gHrXclI.O&biw=1233&bih=661&tch=1&ech=1&psi=Q-jnUsPYBsPxoATJloLgDA.1390929988545.5&ei=j-jnUsvoGMHYoASIp4D4Cg&ved=0CIAEEKYrMAA][/url]

My take from this conversation is add Compressor and increase the effect on each patch. Will try this out this weekend.

This is really great conversation.

Thanks so much for your responses

Nilesh
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...adding compressor to each patch..."

Add a compressor in line. Its way quicker to do it all at once; cheaper than your time to edit every patch.

"... it works fine at home..."

This makes me think you may be plugged into a bad channel on the board. At 70% gain and 0 dB you should be WAY up in the mix, yet you're still having problems. You might want to think about bringing everyone else down a bit to give you the headroom you need -- level the playing field for everyones input, then push the whole band with the master fader -- you may just be the most "polite" player in your band comparatively [guitar & drums go to 11 without even trying].

Hum could also be caused by using a speaker cable rather than instrument cable, and that might also cause some signal loss. A super cheap ground lift plug add-on (under $1 US) could fix the problem you're using a DI to fix now. Given the reasonable 15' cable run I'd try that. Long run strategy might include a power conditioner for all the equipment &/or a distribution panel that puts everything on common power to eliminate ground loop humming.

You should also check that your power and any lighting, particularly fader controlled lights, are powered separately -- different circuits if there's any way to ensure that.

- - - - - - - -

You've said you are using the left/mono out. Does the right side sound significantly louder? Headphone jack not underpowered or "broken". That would be an indicator of a bad output board, which would be a tech fix. Preventative measures for that include a 90 degree connector or set-up that includes an extra couple of inches for strain relief so that the connector is not pulling against the jack laterally but plugs in with no directional pull (remember, gravity has a direction, too.)

BB

billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Qtr inch to DI and XLR from DI to Qtr inch into the AMP"

Is there a way to run XLR to XLR? The reason I ask is that typically you should be running one or two mono 1/4" lines to the mono section of this board, either a single line, or paired mono if you want both sides, at which point panning might be an issue if you were running a true stereo mix out (and usually that is mono, or split high-end/subs).

If the XLR to 1/4" is a balance (stereo) tip ring sleeve jack being plugged into the channel 5/6, 7/8 1/4" mono jacks you'll lose half the signal (left or right side). Try plugging into the channel 1 or two (balanced) jacks, or running panned hard left or right. You might discover the rest of your singnal was being sent to a non-existant connection.

BB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: