Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M50-88 front panel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boarder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: M50-88 front panel Reply with quote

Hi guys,

... today, I visited my local music shop and checked out the M50-88. It's really a great workstation that won't become boring Laughing

I just wondered about the metal surface which is more gray instead of the deep black of the 61 key version. But in any photo I found they got exactly the same colour Confused . Does anybody know if there's a difference between those two models?

One more (stupid) question: What's the difference between Aftertouch and velocity-switch in combination mode?

Thanks a lot, Boarder
evergreenthompson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panel color of both models have looked the same to me in the local shops I've visited displaying both models. My M50-88 seems to have the same deep black as well. Perhaps a manufacturing fluke?
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: M50-88 front panel Reply with quote

Boarder wrote:
Hi guys,

One more (stupid) question: What's the difference between Aftertouch and velocity-switch in combination mode?

Thanks a lot, Boarder

velocity switch means that the M50 will playback different samples according to how strong (or light) you hit the key. you can set the switch points editing the program. usually is used for acoustic instrument (as string and pianos) to recreate the different sounds of the real instrument related to different pression on string or on keys.

the aftertouch means that once you have pressed the key (and the note has been played) you can keep on pressing the key and this additional pressure does not trigger a new playback of the note but transmit a MIDI signal (the aftertouch) that can be used to modulate any parameter of the sound (e.g. pitch, cutoff ...)
evergreenthompson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am apparently getting blind in my old age. Either that, or I need to turn the lights up!

The panel on my M50-88 is dark gray after all. Other than that, I know that the firmware is slightly different between the two models. (Go ahead, call me a geek.)

Black or gray, it's still a sharp looking keyboard. I'm so glad Korg didn't copy the M3's boring, blah white. LOL
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, this new retro-look is much better than tr ones and even of white M3, but the topo would be to see a new silver beast Twisted Evil
John_J

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimu wrote:
yes, this new retro-look is much better than tr ones and even of white M3, but the topo would be to see a new silver beast Twisted Evil

I AGREE!!! Very Happy

We'd have a while to wait, I suppose.
If Korg ever chooses to go back to silver, that is.
StudioMan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the VERY dark grey,,, almost black, like a charcoal color, with a high small metal flake to it. On a 61.

Black face? Are you sure?

FYI

Mike
FifthElement

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evergreenthompson wrote:
I am apparently getting blind in my old age. Either that, or I need to turn the lights up!

The panel on my M50-88 is dark gray after all. Other than that, I know that the firmware is slightly different between the two models. (Go ahead, call me a geek.)

Black or gray, it's still a sharp looking keyboard. I'm so glad Korg didn't copy the M3's boring, blah white. LOL

Yep, very dark grey on my M50 88 too. Is the construction material different for the 61 and 88? May need more strength in the 88 to support the heavier keybed.

Either way, just about the best looking stage piano/synth I've ever seen!
Paul M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw both side by side at GC. The 61 had a speckley texture (more "fun" I guess), the 88 had a smoother texture (more "classy"). Didn't notice if one was darker than the other... the room was pretty dark.

LOVE the 88, I'm getting one! It's everything I want, and no BS that I don't. Great action. Sounds great. Excellent user interface. Even has a classy finish Wink
FifthElement

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul M wrote:
Just saw both side by side at GC. The 61 had a speckley texture (more "fun" I guess), the 88 had a smoother texture (more "classy"). Didn't notice if one was darker than the other... the room was pretty dark.

LOVE the 88, I'm getting one! It's everything I want, and no BS that I don't. Great action. Sounds great. Excellent user interface. Even has a classy finish Wink

You won't be disapointed with the 88 - for all the reasons you mentioned and more (like the light weight and easy handling for gigging)! I'm more amazed by this beauty every time I use it.

Was impressed even more when Korg released the 32 "pro" EPs and Clavs free of charge this week - they are stunning, particularly the suitcase EPs.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: