Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

connecting a midi keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jugo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: connecting a midi keyboard Reply with quote

Hello everyone, It's me with another stupid question x) I will soon buy the m50, but now I have another question.. Can I connect a midi keyboard to the m50 and program it so that I could change sounds/timbres on it by a push of button ? cuz that would be very convenient in a live situation
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can, if you use combis. A combi on the M50 is made up of up to 16 different timbres. Most of the time, a timbre will be INT (meaning that when notes are received on the MIDI channel for that timbre, the M50 will produce sound), but you can also make an EXT timbre which sends data via the MIDI OUT to another keyboard. To make the M50 send a program change to your other keyboard, make sure you have an EXT timbre set to the channel your other keyboard will receive on. Pick an M50 sound for that timbre: the program and bank number will be sent to the external keyboard, and the timbre won't use up polyphony. If your external keyboard has multiple banks and uses a different numbering scheme for selecting banks than the M50, you can make the timbre EXT2 instead; EXT2 timbres are like EXT timbres that send a bank change that you specify.

You'll also want to make sure that in a combi, only one timbre sends a program change to the external keyboard. You can have two or more timbres sending to the other keyboard (i.e. using the M50 to set up zones/layers), but you can disable timbres besides the first from sending a program change to your other keyboard. You wouldn't want to send multiple program changes; that might confuse your other keyboard or at least would have it do the same thing twice.
FifthElement

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: connecting a midi keyboard Reply with quote

Jugo wrote:
Hello everyone, It's me with another stupid question x) I will soon buy the m50, but now I have another question.. Can I connect a midi keyboard to the m50 and program it so that I could change sounds/timbres on it by a push of button ? cuz that would be very convenient in a live situation

Yep, the M50 has a MIDI IN and MIDI seems to be fully implemented from what I can see. As long as you use a real controller keyboard which can send MIDI "bank" and "program" change commands you can change patches remotely

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: