Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build quality differences between 61 and 88 key M50?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Build quality differences between 61 and 88 key M50? Reply with quote

So, I'm interested in perhaps buying an M50 88-key. Unfortunately, the local stores only have the 61 key version, which I noticed seemed pretty light in the build quality department. For example, if I pushed down near the center of the keybed I could get the entire synth to flex. Was just wondering from anyone who's seen both models if the 88 key version is any more solid? Seems to me that it would have to be, but any more detail would be appreciated. Any differences in construction? It is after all $700 more expensive.
FifthElement

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a big difference in the 2 models build wise.

The 88 has Korg's graded action RH3 keybed (as on the sp250 piano) so the build has to be more substantial to support this - as in all 88 keyboards.

The end panels are plastic but the main facia panel is metal with a brushed finish giving the whole keyboard a solid and quality feel.

In spite of this the M50 is still pretty light (20kg) and the slim design makes it easy to manouvre for gigging.

It really does look and feel like a quality package for this price level - and that RH3 action is a joy to play. It also has 9 different velocity levels so you can pick one to suit your playstyle.

Hope this helps.

Fender Strat Plus Deluxe, Ibanez MESA, Line6 Variax, Line6 POD 2.0
StudioMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M5061 seems fine to me as far as build quality of the keybed. I personally like the synth action for me, (I really like the fast action of my Emu midi rig, so what do I know). It's a short bed, I really don't see an issue. If your using a crossing stand, when you standing, it's towards the center-ish, feels VERY solid like that.

Sitting, I don't really feel the flexing, but when I watched a couple people play it sitting, I could see an ever so slight flex (at least I think I could see it).
But standing (with the cross closer together), a few people have played it, and I have watched, there is NO flex whatsoever.

On the bottom of the 61, there is a 5th pad, which in theory should be on something, I would assume.

A suggestion, get a 10"x36" oak tread used in a staircase. The PERFECT bed if your sitting at a cross stand. But standing, no issue whatsoever.

I personally don't play that hard, so it's probably not an issue for me. But seeing it flex did make me think about it..

BUT I LOVE MY M50-61!!! Just telling you my observations.

On both the M50-61 & 88,,, in the manual, I think I read that Korg does NOT suggest standing on the keyboard at the end of a show while it's on a $30 cross stand. That might not be too good on either keybed!!!FYI!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: