Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quickly changing timbres

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jugo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Quickly changing timbres Reply with quote

Ok, so I have this problems, how do I quickly change timbres in a combi ? let's say I'm playing timbres 1 3 and 6, and in less than a second I need to quickly change them to let's say 2, 3 ,5.. is there a way to do this easier than pressing on the screen? because I need to do it really fast.. maybe there's a way to assing that certain combination to a number button or something ?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way for me (as in fastest for me), is just setup the timbras in different locations of the keyboard.. I don't have to change anything EVER during a song as I'm live.

If I was only playing keys, I would have another controller keyboard with another timbra(s) setup to/from it if I needed more different 2 handed timbras..

You could setup the switches and gain a couple of changes there.?? Depending on what exactly what your trying to do.

Me personally, I spend more time up-front setting up my combis, so live I only need to remember where I play the part (Timbra).

Another idea, setup 2 combis, save them next to each other, and just switch up&Down on the combis (more for two handed playing, assuming that is what your trying to achieve).

I'm sure there are other ways also... I went thru the manuals, word for word multiple times, even printed the Parm guide, but I really only "Know" what I personally need to use (if you know what I mean).

Just remember, there is always a way on the M50 (Excluding after-touch, vocator or your own samples)!!! You will find there is nothing you can't do live with the M50 that can be done on another rig, even click routing if you don't mind running mono to the mains.

I hope this helps.

Mike
runeharpun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've assigned SW2 to switch sounds within a combination. I use a foot pedal to trigger this when I play. In some combinations, I add a distorted guitar with this SW2 trigger. In other combos I switch between a solo siound and organ on the right part of the keyboard using this switch.

Another option for you is to hook up a midi controller that sends patch changes.

Even if I get what I want using my pedals, I wish I could change patches/performances without having to press enter. That would be handy if you have to change patch/performance in the middle of the song.

R
TkWall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not copy each custom combi as a new song in the sequencer. Hold [Enter] while pressing [Rec/Write]. Ready to record? [OK]. Press [Rec/Write] again. Done.

You bring all the fx with it. You can name each sequence with a name that relates to what you have. You can go to the next one with one touch or pedal. You can have the same setup multiple times if you need to use the same one several times. You can save the whole setup in one file. Save different setups for different gigs.

People complain Korg doesn't have a favorites button, or it's a lot of work to change combis quickly, or there isn't enough room for a lot of user custom combis. Use the sequencer...it couldn't be easier.

Terry
StudioMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combi mode works EXACTLY the same as Seq. mode, except you can save right onto the M50.. Easier for me personally.

But yes, using Sequence mode also will work!

Mike
Jugo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TkWall wrote:
Why not copy each custom combi as a new song in the sequencer. Hold [Enter] while pressing [Rec/Write]. Ready to record? [OK]. Press [Rec/Write] again. Done.

You bring all the fx with it. You can name each sequence with a name that relates to what you have. You can go to the next one with one touch or pedal. You can have the same setup multiple times if you need to use the same one several times. You can save the whole setup in one file. Save different setups for different gigs.

People complain Korg doesn't have a favorites button, or it's a lot of work to change combis quickly, or there isn't enough room for a lot of user custom combis. Use the sequencer...it couldn't be easier.

Terry

Could you explain everything a little more in depth ? I didn't quite understand

Did you mean to set up different timbre combination of the song as new songs in the sequencer ? wouldn't that be the same if I just saved them as combis ?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Combi will be the same. If you can have a 1/2 a second to make the change, try it this way:

Set up your first sounds, save the combi. switch to the very next combi, set up your 2nd sounds, save the combi. Now you have 2 combis to switch between using the up & down buttons. Carful using the dial, you could skip a combi on accident...

Mike
runeharpun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TkWall wrote:
You can name each sequence with a name that relates to what you have. You can go to the next one with one touch or pedal.

I cannot get the 'program up' using the pedal to work in sequence mode. It works in patch and combination mode. Is there anything within the sequence mode I need to configure? In global mode the pedal is set tp 'program up'.

R
Synastikki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use the jordan rudess-method... make the switch pedal do "program up" and then save everything in combimode you need one after another, for example: A000 - Piano, A001 - Strings, A002 - Piano, A003 - Sololead, A004 - Piano, and so on... This way you can change sound just by pressing the switch-pedal and you can make very fast changes if you have to do multiple changes one after another. Of course this method makes you overwrite much more combis than just some "favourites"-method, but you can always save everything you have before you do this and anytime load back the patches you've overwritten. Also this might seem a lot of work, but it is worth it at least if you're playing gigs. (this is the answer to the orginal problem on the first post)
runeharpun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the sequencer mode. But I guess putting different performances after each other could work using the program up switch. Then I could put say 10 patches in a row alternating: A, B, A, B ... Then I could play 5 solos before I need to go back to start Smile

If you lay out patches more complex, say A, B, C, D - then you have to be more careful in case you make a mistake and switch double. And it's also a potentially problem that you could have started at the wrong patch number, and don't notice untill you make a patch switch in the middle of a song.

R
Synastikki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done a double switch on gig (just my luck or that everything just works? who knows? Very Happy) You can always name your combis in a way that you are not starting from the wrong combi. For example if you have a song called RockBallad, You can save all the combis needed in that song like: RockBallad-1, RockBallad-2, RockBallad-12675, and so on...
TkWall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving your combis as sequences avoids the pitfalls of having to overwrite combis and lets you use the foot pedal to advance to the next sequence. If you use one combi more than once, say your favorite piano, you can place it as many times as you want in the proper order. If you're worried about getting "out of sync", just name the sequence with an identifier like "Heavy Organ Clav 01". Naming a sequence doesn't take any more time than renaming a combi.

This method always made more sense to me, especially when you're working with a band and you're running through sounds quick. When you find the one you want, a quick save to the next sequence avoids the "hold on, the keyboard guy is still saving his stuff". Keep a notepad, a quick jot of the sound and #, and rename later.

Terry
Synastikki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just used to use the combi mode so thats why I'm preferring it... I don't really use the sequencer at all on my korg triton classic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: