Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to control parts volume with knob 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poptakt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: How to control parts volume with knob 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 Reply with quote

I have programmed a sound in combi consisting of 4 layers - All 4 layers are ranged over all 88 keys of my M50-88 and they are all set to midi channel 01G.
I want to be able to turn the volume up an down on each part with the knobs. I can only find "master volume" and channel "volume", but both controls the volume of all the parts at the same time, since the parts are played at the same channel.

What to do?
StudioMan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 394 of the PG manual.

Mike
poptakt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
Page 394 of the PG manual.

Mike

Is this a reply on how to do it or???

I know how to get the knobs to control the volume! I just don't no how to get Knob 1B to control track 1's volume (set to 01g or GCH) - knob 2b to control track 2's volume (set to 01g or GCH) and so on...

The question is HOW can I play on multiple timbre in Combi mode and use the knobs to adjust the volume of the individual timbres???

I want to use the knobs in the same way (or instead of) as the faders in the mixer1-8 (1-4) window...knobs are just much faster.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't own an M50, but on triton series workstations you have to either:
go to the midi filter page and tell all the other timbres not to respond to that knob, and/or use insert effect slots as a kind of mixer
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
StudioMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just giving you the page info., something I was just reading about a couple nights ago. I was thinking that was what might explain what you were asking.

I haven't had to set anything up like that.. I'm hoping to be just messing around all weekend in my studio. I'll see if I can get it to work like your saying..

Seems to me it should work..

I wish I could be more help.

Mike
poptakt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
i don't own an M50, but on triton series workstations you have to either:
go to the midi filter page and tell all the other timbres not to respond to that knob, and/or use insert effect slots as a kind of mixer

The midi filter doesn't work. I've set knob 1b to volume and knob 2b to volume, and set the filter so only track/part 1 receives knob 1b and track/part 2 receives knob 2b, but even though both knobs still control the volume on both tracks...
Perhaps the insert effect will work, but I would be sorry to use two effects slot, just to be able to adjust the volume with the knobs.

StudioMan wrote:
I was just giving you the page info., something I was just reading about a couple nights ago. I was thinking that was what might explain what you were asking.

I haven't had to set anything up like that.. I'm hoping to be just messing around all weekend in my studio. I'll see if I can get it to work like your saying..

Seems to me it should work..

I wish I could be more help.

Mike

That would be a great help...Thanks...
X-Trade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if they are the same knob parameter it will conflict... try 1 as volume, 2 as expression, and then you will have to use insert effects if you want to do any more...

I know it seems stupid, there should have been a defacto way of doing this built in.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
StudioMan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,, Here's what I got to work.

Bring in 3 programs into a new combi. Under "Controllers" set knobs 1,2 &3 to "Volume".

In Midi Filter 4, set which ever knob to whatever timbra, turn the rest off (relating to each of the 3 knobs you setup in controllers).

Kind of works, but it was/is acting weird. I set Timbra 1 to knob 1 and so on. Knob 3 worked Timbra 3, but knobs 1&2 worked both 1&2 Timbras at the same time (Very weird, like I has something set wrong?).

Just set up like this. Use a Piano for Timbra1, organ for Timbra2, Synth for Timbra3 (you want 3 very different sounding instruments for such a test like this for easy identification.

I also got the "Master Volume" working as it should on a knob without a problem.

I just don't understand why Timbras 1&2 are locked together on Knobs 1&2. And YES,,, I have the midi filters set correctly!LOL (I thought I was doing this wrong, but I'm fairly certain I set it correctly. I will read on it tonight for I'd just like to know how to do it).

I don't have a need to adjust individual Timbra's volume on the fly, I can't really spend much more time on it.

If you figure out what I was doing wrong, please let me know, since I spent 1/2 hour trying to figure it out for you! I will bet I was close, but was missing something basic. I bet it will work.

Thanks!

Mike
runeharpun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set up B1 and B2 to both control CC#7, then I guess they control the same midi channel, and they will always have the same value. In the M50 editor, you can se that both knobs move when you move one of them.

But there is a way to control the different program volumes. Make a new program for all the sounds you want to use. For each program, go to the filter tab(s). On output level, set AMS source to a CC. In the combi you can assign one of the user knobs to edit the value/volume of the CC belonging to the program.

R
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a "classic" Korg issue, and I'm sure it had been answered here on the Forums in the past.

This newer CC/AMS trick works well if you are willing to edit your sounds.

The classic Korg method is to route some of the timbres to their own IFX, like an EQ or compressor, and set the EQ bands to all cut, for example. Then set a knob to modulate the Wet Dry mix of the effect. So when the effect is dry the sound will pass through. When it goes to all Wet it cuts all the frequencies so the sound is turned off. This can be done with a compressor whose level is set to 000 in the same fashion. This is how some of the Combis like organ Drawbars on Knob/Fader have been done for years.

I don't have time this weekend to write this out completely, but I hope you see the concept.

So one timbre can be controlled by MIDI volume (CC7) or Expression (CC11). the others need a different non MIDI-based method since they are all on the same channel.

I have had an idea of how to improve this in our systems for some time now, and have been actively talking to Korg inc. about this - I am not making any promises about a change, but we all certainly recognize that this could be easier to do, and that it's important to you all. So I'll keep working towards it.

regards,

Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: