Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware suggestions : Better patch/performance switching.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runeharpun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Firmware suggestions : Better patch/performance switching. Reply with quote

After using my M50 for some weeks now, there is only one thing I feel could easily be improved in the M50 firmware. And that is the patch /performance switch scheme.

It seems like some of the Korg designers visit the forum, so I hope this post might grab their attention. I've made some suggestions on how the M50 firmware can be improved to make patch/performance changes easier:

1) Configurable option to have a one-button change of patches or performances. This would obviously only work with 10 patches / performances at the same time. This could also be improved, so that if you press minus (-) or dot (.) at the same time, then you lock/unlock the two leading numbers.

2) The option to have notes retrigger in performance mode like it does in patch mode. I know there is a slight delay, but still the retrigger option would be valuable for some people.

3) Being able to use the chord trigger buttons to send program change in both patch and performance mode. Or even make them assignable to something else, so they can be used like the SW1 and SW2 buttons.

When you play live using only one keyboard, you don't have the time to fiddle around too much with your hands within a songs. I know a pedal board would make timbre change easier, but that also means bringing along extra equipment.

This is not ranting, it's positive feedback on how I think the M50 can be a better unit Smile

R
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

completely agree! i hope the in M50 (that is named PERFORMANCE workstation) will be implemented the same "favourite patch" mechanism as in the X50. this will real enhance live performance.

Further would be great also to have possibility to playback MIDI/SNG file and browsing patches being outside the sequencer; i.e. i load file in the sequencer, then come back to Program/Combi mode, press play for starting the file and then browsing patch as current Program/Combi.
StudioMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really (assuming I'm understanding this "Favorites patch"), just try setting your patches/combis/programs directly next to each other. Then use the up/down buttons to switch between them.

I never saw the x50, so I can't say much about it, but it seems to me, setting your patches directly next to each other is better, giving you MORE than 10.

One question,,, how many different "Patches" do you need in a single song? Seems to me, two patches for a song would be plenty, which will work perfect on the M50 setting them next to each other.

Mike
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not correctly true... the "favourite patch" (or patch palette) alloes you to link to each button (0 to 9) a given program or combi, hence when you are in "favourite patches mode", just pushing e.g. the button "5" you immediately recall the program or combi linked to that button.

advantages are:

you can switch quickly from program/combi w/o having to change also Mode (if you are playing a program and push the button associated to a combi, automatically the Combi is recalled)

with just one push you can recall any patches you needs

tipycally in one song i use at least 4-5 different program/combi (and not in FIFO order...) , put them near helps in quick switching but only for the touchscreen, anyway from Program to Combi is not so quick

i agree 10 patches can be not enough (V-synth offer 64 quick recall patches - one touch and you load the patch)
runeharpun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess part of the problem with putting patches after one another is that there are som many permutations of the patches in use. in song 1 I use patch 1 and 3, but another song uses patch 1 and 4. So making all those combinations after one another isn't really a usable optiion.

I'm not sure how the favourite patch system of the X50 works, but the 10 patch/performance "limit" when using one-button switch can be handled in many ways. One way is to just lock the two leading numbers. So if you stand at patch D11, then you can only navigate from D10 to D19 using the number buttons. I'm sure the "big" leaps in patches could be solved in some smart way, like having to press the bank number before the patch number to specify that the whole number is being specified. Or just a system to lock/unlock the leading digits.

R
StudioMan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotch ya..

A possible work around (but may take to much time), use all combis (Just use the program in a combi), put them in the 1st 0-9 of each bank. Then just press the # you want to switch too.. Only problem, is you have to hit enter too..

Another method, line them up within the banks (say, all on #5 or whatever), then use the lettered bank buttons, which would give you up to 4 patches (in Combi mode), with a touch of 1 button..

Just a thought..

Back to the studio,, working (well, really playing{lol}) on our first fully sequenced song for live... Paranoid like you can't imagine!!lol

Mike
Synastikki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StudioMan wrote:
One question,,, how many different "Patches" do you need in a single song?

I just wanted to answer this question. I need like at least 4 different sounds for my bands songs. Some of them might need 7 or 8. (Well I'm playing metal) And I'm changing sounds with a press of a pedal and I might have from 4 to 16 patch changes in a song.
akmon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another simple suggestion, explained in others threads:

Latch chord triggers, without dampers or footpedals (you can do in ARPs, but no way with chords). So you can press one chord trigger and your left hand will be available, till you push the second one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: